Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Replacing a Kindle keyboard

Hello everyone!

I'm afraid my thread will echo a few recent topics but I suspect that the proper procedure would be to create my own.

A couple of days ago, a stain-like area of what look like dead pixels suddenly appeared on my Kindle keyboard's screen, of course just when my warranty ran out. Being both quite disappointed and a bit excited at this excuse to buy a new ereader, I think it might be time to buy something that reads epub.

What I'm looking for is pretty much a Kindle, but not a Kindle. In other words:

- something that has [side] buttons for page turning (completely non-touch is not a problem)
- good at reading pdfs (the Kindle was a huge failure in that regard, and those manga aint gonna read themselves)
- epub-compatible (converting everything was fun the first 6 months)
- reasonnably customizable/jailbreakable (everything needs moar fonts)
- robustness
- rather optional: ability to take notes in a practical manner
- good battery is always a plus

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Algiedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No 6" eInk device is good for PDF. If PDF is an important requirement, go for a tablet like an iPad or similar Android tablet. The iPad with the Goodreader app is an exceptional PDF reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Well I guess I'll have to give pdfs up for the time being, since I'm not going to buy an iPad to read ebooks.

Yesterday I had an eureka moment when I learned about the Nook Simple Touch (especially with Glowlight - no more fighting about keeping the light on at night, yay), quickly cooled down when I realized they didn't sell it outside the US.

I guess I'll have to wait for BN to open sales to Europe...
Algiedi is offline   Reply With Quote