Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
AlwaysReading
AlwaysReading began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, iTouch
Books sent to Sony 350 sometimes omit covers.

I'm trying to troubleshoot another problem I'm having with Calibre and my PRS-350.

When books don't include a cover image in the metadata I always add one. Usually I do this by copying the image from the book's page on whatever site I bought it from and pasting it into the cover image space in the Calibre metadata.

Sometimes - and I don't know if this happens only when I've copied and pasted - the cover image doesn't make it into the Sony when I transfer the book. Cover in Calibre, no cover in Sony. Just now I copied/pasted a cover image into the thumbnail folder on the Sony. The cover shows up on the book list, but when I open the book I get a text title page, no cover image.

Clearly this is not a life-destroying problem, but I'd like to know how to fix it or at least what causes it just to keep the logic going in my poor little corner of the world.

Thanks in advance.
AlwaysReading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre will try and insert the cover into the book when is transferred as long as it is clearly identified within the ebook file as a cover. However this is not always the case and in is case the ebook file is transferred unmodified.

You can normally correct this by doing an ePub-ePub conversion as this will cause the cover to always be embedded into the ebook file and properly identified as a cover image.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
AlwaysReading
AlwaysReading began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, iTouch
That worked perfectly. Thank you. It looks like epub to epub conversion solves multiple problems.

Debra
AlwaysReading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysReading View Post
That worked perfectly. Thank you. It looks like epub to epub conversion solves multiple problems.
it can. One should be aware, though, that it can cause some changes to the books layout so there will be (rare) times when it is better not to do it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cover problem, sony 350