Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
there are color blind folk in the world

Color coded stars don't work for everyone

That point hit home a few weeks ago when I had to draw a diagram of the Network Jack COLOR layouts for a co-worker on a project because he was color blind and unlike traffic lights, there was not a National Standard for position.
Males can be Red or Green color blind, but it does affect a very small percentage females.

As we age, sensitivity can decrease , making it harder to distinguish the color shades.

The 'gold star' used in the Catalog and 'Jacket' are just (rating.png) PNG icons in the 'resources' folder. 'Have at it', for your own use.

Coding other places to use a color code is a huge amount of work, that would exclude a number of users.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
paulrw
Enthusiast
paulrw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Oasis, iPhone, iPad, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
You can actually do that in one shot within Calibre. Have a look at creating a catalog.
Apologies Manichean, I hadn't realised that there is a different dialogue with the e-book option for catalogue which includes the Wishlist indicator. It still doesn't do exactly what I want simply because I would have to generate 2 e-books, one for paper and one for electronic, but it is encouraging that there is something that good (albeit well hidden!) There is unfortunately a bug in the output CSS which has to be manually edited (reported elsewhere), but the output is impressive.
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The next version of calibre includes the ability to color the contents of a column.

There are two ways. The first is the easiest: enumeration-type custom columns (columns with a fixed set of values) can have a list of colors to use for values.

The second is more general. You use a new tab in look-and-feel preferences to specify the color of cells in a column using a template program. You can check any metadata associated with the book. For example, should you want to do such a thing, it is possible to color the title magenta if the book does not have the tag 'Science Fiction', has three formats, and is authored by Sinclair Lewis. You could also change the color of the stars in the rating column. You can use python-based template functions if the template language is too cumbersome.

Note that the item is colored, not the background. And no, you cannot specify icons to replace the text.

Preferences for both the first and the second method are stored in the library, not the installation.

The code is in trunk for those of you who run from source. An improved syntax-highlighting template program editor will arrive shortly.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrw View Post
There is unfortunately a bug in the output CSS which has to be manually edited (reported elsewhere), but the output is impressive.
Where is this bug reported?

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When I did the work to add coloring I thought it was probably a waste of time. Never thought I would say this, but this coloring stuff is kind of fun. While testing it, my wife asked if the color of our custom rating column could depend on who had read the book (two custom boolean columns), green if both of us read it, blue if only me, fuchsia (a dark pink) if only her, and black if neither (??). It actually helps, even with my part color blindness.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	145
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	71848

Did it by coloring the rating column using the following template:
Code:
program:
  r1 = field('#mybool');
  r2 = field('#mybool2');
  first_non_empty(
    test(and(r1, r2), 'green', ''),
    test(r1, 'blue', ''),
    test(r2, 'fuchsia', ''),
    'black')
(NB: I added the 'and' function (and 'or' and 'not') to the template language to simplify the first expression. These boolean functions will be in the next release.)
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #21
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Can't wait to try it.

I must say, Calibre is evolving faster than I learn to use it. I just started to experiment with all those column types and now there's new wonderful MUCH needed feature. But I'm not complaining , it's more like I'm overwhelmed (hopefully temporarily).
travger is offline   Reply With Quote