Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Rusherman
Rusherman began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre ebook reader
Naming conventions

Most of the titles I add to Calibre start out as "author - subject - title".
When it imports to Calibre it adds the subject to the author instead of to the title. Could someone tell me how and where to fix this. I have had no success tweaking stuff so far. I hope this is clearer to read than it looks.
Rusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Is that the filename? If so, go to preferences->adding books.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Rusherman

I have tried many ways of setting this up in preferences >adding books. Regular Expression Syntax is not my long suit, medium suit or even short suit. Would you know how to do the expression that would put both " - " dashes on the Title side of the name?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

There's an introduction available for regular expressions, if you're interested. As for your problem, try the following:
Code:
(?P<authors>.*?) - (?P<title>.*? - .*?)
A note: This doesn't copy the first dash over into the title field, but only uses it to find the beginning of the title. I'm assuming that's what you wanted?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Rusherman

Thank you for the suggestion Manchean. I tried it and it didn't quite work out for me.
With one - after author I got Unkown Author - Title.
On books with two - in title I get Unkown First part of title and the - . I think Regular Expressions are beyond me. The more I experiment with them the worse I get. It doesn't mean I am going to quit trying though. I have the willpower if not the brain for it.
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Hm. I tested this one with the plain string on Python, so it should work in Calibre.
Code:
(?P<author>.*?) - (?P<title>.*)

Last edited by Manichean; 03-20-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fixed regex, should've checked lookup names in the first place.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Rusherman

Thank you Manchean. The second one works perfectly. I tried a bunch of stuff I wrote very similar to this (but not the same) and they failed miserably. I have added your line and now I won't have to keep editing the file name as I put it in and out of Calibre.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Glad to help.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
Rusherman

I have re-read my messages and find it amazing that you could figure out what I was looking for from them. They are sketchy at best.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

You get some experience after being a forum regular Actually, it wasn't hard to figure out- the only part I had to guess at was that you were trying to read metadata from filenames.