Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Need to buy a sole-purposed PDF book reader!

Hi, my sole purpose is to buy a single purposed PDF book reader for my PHD studies as all my textbooks & articles are written in PDF format, occasionally PS format (not a problem as I can convert PS to PDF quickly).

I need an ebook reader at size above 8", the bigger the better! (..... not talking about some body part though ) , and must greatly support PDF. Must be in e-ink, otherwise I can simply read them over my laptop but the LCD really hurts my eyes!

No wireless required, getting online, playing games or other fancy gadgets, I DON'T NEED THOSE and have no times for gaming! I buy it for reading books, tons tons of them in PDF format only!

I originally decided on the new Kindle DX graphite, but rumors said the PDF support is not very good, I wonder how bad is it?? does it fail to display graphics and some formulas incorrectly? I also have heard you can convert PDF to AZW format to make the perfect match, but I simply wonder how greatly the conversion process is.

My PDF books are solely computer course books such as algorithm design, and lots of other math books such as partial differential equation (you get the picture), which reader displays them the best?

Taking notes on PDF can be a plus but since Kindle dx doesn't seem to support that I can deal without it.

btw, I've seen people talking about Hanvon, how well is the product? They even have colored reader? I have relative in China who's about to come to the states and buying one over there isn't gonna be a problem. How good are those Chinese gizmos?

or How about the sony reader? heard it supports PDF greatly... hmm. So hard to decide.

Last, I ain't rich as Bill Gates, so anything over $1000 is definitely a no.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited by jian1; 02-01-2011 at 01:34 AM.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Has to an Ipad....But new ones are eminent, wait a month or so....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
PocketBook 902 or 903

The Hanvon wont be out until May
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The E-book Reader Matrix includes a row for PDF Capabilites. These are not always known, but there is little doubt that PocketBook has the best PDF support. The only downside to the 902/903 is that they have the last generation Vizplex screen (vs the Pearl screen on the KDX). Visplex was certainly considered "good enough" before Pearl came out, but a high end reading device with a 2nd class screen is something to be aware of before buying.

See PocketBook 602 PDF Review. The 602 is a 6" Reader, but the software is the same on the 902/903. The eBook Reader site also has a Kindle DX review. The problem with the KDX is not an inability to display PDFs, but rather a lack of basic features like table of contents support.

By the way, the kind of PDFs you describe are not good candidates for conversion to a reflowable format (MOBI for the KDX or ePub for the PocketBooks). So native PDF support is what you need.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
iPad... LCD screens are definitely not my cup of tea.
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The E-book Reader Matrix includes a row for PDF Capabilites. These are not always known, but there is little doubt that PocketBook has the best PDF support. The only downside to the 902/903 is that they have the last generation Vizplex screen (vs the Pearl screen on the KDX). Visplex was certainly considered "good enough" before Pearl came out, but a high end reading device with a 2nd class screen is something to be aware of before buying.

See PocketBook 602 PDF Review. The 602 is a 6" Reader, but the software is the same on the 902/903. The eBook Reader site also has a Kindle DX review. The problem with the KDX is not an inability to display PDFs, but rather a lack of basic features like table of contents support.

By the way, the kind of PDFs you describe are not good candidates for conversion to a reflowable format (MOBI for the KDX or ePub for the PocketBooks). So native PDF support is what you need.
Thank you!

After revewing the matrix, how about Sony PRS-950? it utilizes e-ink pearl and supports PDF.

ETA: I mainly read under good light condition, will e-ink pearl be drastically better than vizplex?

Last edited by jian1; 01-30-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
jian1
Banned

ETA again, by recommendation I am currently looking at pocketbook 903, however, 902 seems to be much cheaper but without a touch screen, wonder how useful would touch screen be ?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
iPad... LCD screens are definitely not my cup of tea.
Too bad it doesn't fit your need...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
With big screen, good annotations capabilities, supporting TOC, remember last page, etc, etc ... there is nothing eink, sorry, nothing good I mean.

I would suggest an iPad or a Galaxy Tab. If you can live with a small screen, a Sony. Kindle DXG handles PDF in an ok manner, but lacks of several features you're looking for.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
With big screen, good annotations capabilities, supporting TOC, remember last page, etc, etc ... there is nothing eink, sorry, nothing good I mean.

I would suggest an iPad or a Galaxy Tab. If you can live with a small screen, a Sony. Kindle DXG handles PDF in an ok manner, but lacks of several features you're looking for.
I can live up with compromises.... annotation isn't necessary, but PDF support must be good enough to display the maths book i've mentioned properly, and at least allows me have bookmark.

How about pocketbook 902?

OR..

How well is Kindle DX graphite at handling PDF? like I said, I can live up without annotation as long as it displays my books finely then.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #11
UomoNero
UomoNero began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
I'm looking for the same device, why not a eee Note Ea800?
-Low price (256 € in Italy)
-Support for pdf and ePub (sadly i don't know how good, for now i watch only some Taiwan sample and none of them show some tech paper)
-great for note

his only possible drawback (for what i know) is the lcd non backlit display, i cannot find a real comparison with pearl or similar

you can find some info here

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=IrZFXz2AcdRvL7L6

and a lot of video (not pdf) here

http://www.jessebandersen.com/search...s%20Eee%20Note
UomoNero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #12
UomoNero
UomoNero began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
you can also sync your note with evernote, an useful perk
UomoNero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
How can you say that they are "eminent" when nobody's seen one yet? We don't know how good they'll be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How can you say that they are "eminent" when nobody's seen one yet? We don't know how good they'll be.
I think he meant 'imminent'
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
jian1
Banned

Has anyone used Hanvon N800? I've browsed their website and the spec seems to be very promising: 8", epub, pdf format supports and annotation over PDF with touchscreen....hmmm... makes me want to buy one!!!

ETA: the N800 has a resolution of 1024x768, is it sufficient for math PDF files? or shall I aim for pocketbook with more resolution? not an overkill ?

Last edited by jian1; 02-01-2011 at 04:14 AM.