Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Lightbulb Set Timezone on your iLiad

This ZIP file contains a set of SH scripts that can be used to set the timezone for your iLiad.

To use it you will need the SHELL hack applied from iDS to your iLiad. Then unzip the ZIP file someplace on an MMC, CF or USB storage device and insert that storage device into your iLiad.

The ZIP file creates a directory named SetTimeZone.

The contents of that directory will be.

Code:
Africa      Arctic      Australia   Chile       Indian      Pacific
America     Asia        Brazil      Etc         Mexico      US
Antarctica  Atlantic    Canada      Europe      Mideast     _tz
The _tz directory will be invisible in contentLister and contains the actual timezone files. The other directories contain SH scripts that will copy the correct timezone file out of the _tz directory into the /etc/localtime file.

To set the correct timezone for Seattle I would use contentLister to select America. Then I would locate the Los_Angeles.sh script and click it.

If you live in Berlin you would click on Europe and then click on Berlin.sh.

Once you run the correct script to set your timezone its affect is immediate. Like a thirsty human long denied a drink of water whilst in a broiling desert, your iLiad will instantly recognize the files presence and use it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SetTimeZone.zip (384.2 KB, 621 views)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
umm...what does it do exactly? Is it a clock? Or just an 'internal' kind of clock that we dont see, but which keeps track of the changes in files and notes the time and dat?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

It sets the timezone file on your iLiad so your iLiad will now know what local time is for you.

The major application for it is to have your scribbles correctly time stamped, unless of course you have an on screen clock.

Yeah I know, not a very exciting application right? Sort of a one time use thing possibly? Sort of the kind of thing the iLiad should have come with???

Whatever, for those that need it, it's here.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
It may not SEEM exciting ... but in terms of productivity for anyone who uses Notes/Scribble on a regular basis it really is a must have.

In terms of iRex comming up with this - this is the sort of user centered design feature you'd expect them to iterate through if not implement initially (at least as soon as they implemented scribble on PDF) - underfunding in the software and user research departments is my guess :-(

Thanks again Scotty, this should get rolled into the next release if anyone is paying attention!
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Tokkeh
Reader
Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad /Palm TX
@scotty1024
Thank you very much for a very helpful script. Easy install, effective and handy side-effect that I could now see that apparently the shell hack survived 2.9.5 (I hadn't dared try it earlier and request for info about upgrade effect went missing). Also nice that one can now choose and change the default timezone.

@pdam
quite agree!
Tokkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned

@Tokkeh

You are quite welcome, glad I could scratch an itch for you.

If you are feeling adventurous I have posted a compilation of a standard Matchbox applet that you can use to show an on screen clock: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10628

It goes nicely with SetTimeZone, but only if you are willing to risk bricking your iLiad.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
It sets the timezone file on your iLiad so your iLiad will now know what local time is for you.

The major application for it is to have your scribbles correctly time stamped, unless of course you have an on screen clock.

Yeah I know, not a very exciting application right? Sort of a one time use thing possibly? Sort of the kind of thing the iLiad should have come with???

Whatever, for those that need it, it's here.
Thanks for the explanation Scotty!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
scotty1024
Banned

My timezone got whacked by the Mobipocket download. At first glance it would appear iDS set my iLiad's clock to Seattle time instead of UTC and the timezone file is now setting my time display to Seattle minus 7 hours. (Seattle's offset from UTC is -7 hours)
Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
how the ^$# does one prevent the mobipocket download from happening at all?!
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I don't know why it's a big deal....mobipocket doesn't contain DRM, but the files you *buy* do. Not wanting mobipocket because of drm is like not wanting ipdf because it can read password protected PDF's....
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #11
Tokkeh
Reader
Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad /Palm TX
I thought there was a difference between DRM-protected files (require a specific device ID or IDs) and password-protected pdfs (can be read anywhere if you have the password and appropriate software) or is there more to it?
Tokkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
Hi,
great community!

I have a problem with dates of my iLiad notes, it saves them with year set to 2020 instead of 2007!
I run script but it didn't solve, I think it isn't suppose to do it, it only sets the correct timezone but i have the Rome correct time for Feb 29 2020

I have the shell package and mrxvt installed, any way to solve this (without bricking the device sure)?

when i run "date" with mrxvt i get "Sat Feb 29 13:40:56 CET 2020"...
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned

Hopefully you just need to connect to iDS to get your time set correctly.

Otherwise I'm guessing your iLiad has a defective clock chip. you'll need to contact iRex customer service.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedo
Hi,
great community!

I have a problem with dates of my iLiad notes, it saves them with year set to 2020 instead of 2007!
I run script but it didn't solve, I think it isn't suppose to do it, it only sets the correct timezone but i have the Rome correct time for Feb 29 2020

I have the shell package and mrxvt installed, any way to solve this (without bricking the device sure)?

when i run "date" with mrxvt i get "Sat Feb 29 13:40:56 CET 2020"...
You are further in the future then we are
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:59 AM   #15
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Hopefully you just need to connect to iDS to get your time set correctly.
it worked, thanks
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote