Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Prosto_IA
Маленький парижанец
Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350
PRS-350: Add Cyrillic fonts, lose warranty?

Hi all

I'm pretty much sold on a PRS-350, given its size and ability to annotate (although I have yet to actually hold one - there don't seem to be many in Krasnodar...). The ability to read Russian text is a must for me; I understand from various threads here that it is possible to hack the firmware to add Cyrillic capability. I don't mind doing so (I run Cyanogenmod on my phone, Rockbox on my mp3 player) but I haven't been able to find out if doing so would invalidate any warranty. If so, then I'll look to buy second-hand rather than new. Could anyone confirm either way?
Prosto_IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Technically yes, in practice you can always reflash to original software and if that's not possible then it's not going to be working anyway. You'd be very unlucky for anyone to actually check in detail before you got a replacement...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
PDF/EPUB/LRF (BBeB) with embedded fonts works for any alphabet without reflashing anyway.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Prosto_IA
Маленький парижанец
Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
in practice you can always reflash to original software.
Yes, of course, obviously (at least, now you come to mention it ), thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Prosto_IA
Маленький парижанец

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
PDF/EPUB/LRF (BBeB) with embedded fonts works for any alphabet without reflashing anyway.
Now that's promising, as most of my ebooks are epub, with a smattering of pdf. Cue newbie question: do all ebooks in those formats have embedded fonts by default, or is it only some ebooks in those formats? If the latter, how would I tell (other than by suck-it-and-see)?
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosto_IA View Post
Now that's promising, as most of my ebooks are epub, with a smattering of pdf. Cue newbie question: do all ebooks in those formats have embedded fonts by default, or is it only some ebooks in those formats? If the latter, how would I tell (other than by suck-it-and-see)?
Most books I've seen do not embed fonts. For epub you can check easily as it's a ZIP file format — just look inside to see if there are any font files included.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
i'd recommed flashing as even with embedded fonts the book titles and authors will display as squares otherwise...

Head over to the-ebook.org forum and check out how easy the russification is.
By the way, if you intend to use Calibre, there is nothing else you need to do, but Sony software apparently needs to be russified as well to display Cyrillic fonts.
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Prosto_IA
Маленький парижанец

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Most books I've seen do not embed fonts. For epub you can check easily as it's a ZIP file format — just look inside to see if there are any font files included.
I see, thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Prosto_IA
Маленький парижанец

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
i'd recommed flashing as even with embedded fonts the book titles and authors will display as squares otherwise...
That's good to know, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
Head over to the-ebook.org forum and check out how easy the russification is.
By the way, if you intend to use Calibre, there is nothing else you need to do, but Sony software apparently needs to be russified as well to display Cyrillic fonts.
Ooh, the-ebook.org looks interesting *bookmarks*. Russification certainly looks like a straightforward process - I'll keep going through that thread to see if it can be done direct from a Linux environment. Why do I get the feeling the Sony software won't work on my OS? Mind you, even if it did, I find it hard to believe it would outperform Calibre.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
yegorich
yegorich began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has some already asked Sony's support to include the proper font into the next firmware update? Just to let Sony know, there are some customers willing this.

I also found some projects extending reader capabilities especially concerning language support. These projects were listed by Wikipedia:

http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/
http://ebookapplications.com/about/
yegorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegorich View Post
Has some already asked Sony's support to include the proper font into the next firmware update?
By the way, which missing letters do you need?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
yegorich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
By the way, which missing letters do you need?
Pretty much the whole alphabet. а, б, в, г, д и т.д. :-)

And even if you would embed the needed fonts into the book, you still can't see it's file name if written in Cyrillic. Only squares are to see.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Pretty much the whole alphabet. а, б, в, г, д и т.д. :-)
So Cyrillic, I see, but there already is a solution for that (even two, one by boroda, other by amutin, expect one by "kartu" to come in a month or so ).

If you use English locale they look pretty much the same as the default UI, so I wouldn't be bothered much about "lost warranty".
Old 11-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
yegorich

I see your point, but I have nothing against including these and other fonts into the usual firmware. Do you?

I don't need russian menus or help. Only fonts to display text correctly. Other vendors make it without explicitly selling their devices to Russia. Like Cybook http://www.the-ebook.org/?p=1926
Old 11-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
I see your point, but I have nothing against including these and other fonts into the usual firmware. Do you?
For me personally it doesn't matter that much, as I still need other stuff, like folders (which kindles don't have) or Georgian alphabet (which kindles surprisingly do have), so I still need to customize.

Yes, it would certainly be nice to have and I think most alphabets in the world, except hieroglyphic, would perfectly fit inside firmware even in the older models.

But Sony is a huge company, it has its established processes and rules, which they are highly unlikely to change, as anyone who tries to question existing process risks too much. Besides, it costs them money to make even the slightest change. And with amazon dumping, I don't think they have that big of a budget to spend...

Tags
cyrillic, firmware, prs-350, warranty