Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #14671
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Last night, I finished A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh, the first of the Inspector Alleyn mysteries. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. I thought the solution relied on information we didn't have, and I really couldn't seem to get a handle on the character of Alleyn himself. The setup was very similar to The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham, which I read a few weeks back and much preferred.

Still, I bought the (paperback) omnibus of the first three Alleyn stories, so Marsh has two more opportunities to impress me before I give up.

I don't actually know what I'm going to read next. I'm kind of committed to one more book this year, but I'm saving it for December, and this was the last book I needed for my fifty-fifty challenge, so I have a free choice.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #14672
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: An Agatha Christie, The Hollow. Her 45th mystery book.
A very nice mystery. Very well done indeed.

Next: Asimov's SF, January 2013. I got this when it was briefly available at the soon-to-vanish Fictionwise for just $1.86 after discounts. The next issue'll cost me over $3.00 at Amazon, and for a DRMed product.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #14673
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Last night, I finished A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh, the first of the Inspector Alleyn mysteries. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. I thought the solution relied on information we didn't have, and I really couldn't seem to get a handle on the character of Alleyn himself. The setup was very similar to The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham, which I read a few weeks back and much preferred.

Still, I bought the (paperback) omnibus of the first three Alleyn stories, so Marsh has two more opportunities to impress me before I give up.
Stick with it. The series gets a LOT better as it goes on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #14674
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Stick with it. The series gets a LOT better as it goes on.
I agree. The characters develop over time, and I find my self almost ready to do a full re-read. Note also that there are some quite good, unabridged, audio book versions.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #14675
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Miles Vorkosigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
OK, let's catch up here. Finished Cordelia's Honor, a compendium of Shard's of Honor and Barrayar, and also a slight detour to Labyrinth, a short story somewhat out of order. Enjoyed all of these a lot, and moved on to The Warrior's Apprentice, the first actual Miles book in the series. What a character! And what fun I'm having with these.
Finished The Warrior's Apprentice and the Mountains of Mourning novella. The Warrior's Apprentice was a joy, while Mountains was a more serious work. It extends the Miles story, but is not a Dendarii story, except as it shows Miles using his head instead of brute force.

Next up: The Vor Game.
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #14676
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Finished The Warrior's Apprentice and the Mountains of Mourning novella. The Warrior's Apprentice was a joy, while Mountains was a more serious work. It extends the Miles story, but is not a Dendarii story, except as it shows Miles using his head instead of brute force.

Next up: The Vor Game.
I can't find Shards of Honor in plain epub anywhere.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #14677
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Shards of Honor

You buy Cordelia's Honor direct from Baen for $5 USD, and you get Shards of Honor and Barrayar both.

Hard to beat that.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #14678
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
You buy Cordelia's Honor direct from Baen for $5 USD, and you get Shards of Honor and Barrayar both.

Hard to beat that.
Yep that is where I bought mine. I have had the paper backs for years. I enjoyed rereading them as ebooks earlier this year.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #14679
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

Hard to beat that.
Thank you

I didn't know about the duology. I should also correct myself. Shards of Honor is available at Fictionwise for $7.49 but didn't want to go there.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #14680
CRussel
(he/him/his)

All of LMB's Vorkosigan books are available through Baen, and most are part of one or another omnibus at this point. If you buy Croyoburn, it includes a CD image with many of her earlier works on it. Unfortunately, she's become quite unfairly voluble about not being happy with that CD, so I'm not sure if it's still available when you buy Cryoburn. (I can't tell since it was part of the deal when I bought Cryoburn, so I still see it on my Baen account.)
Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #14681
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Red Star Rogue by Kenneth Sewell, a riveting non fiction account of the sinking of the Soviet sub K-129 in 1968 and what its real mission may have been.

The author argues, quite convincingly, that a KGB rogue element added to the K-129 crew at the last moment attempted to launch a nuclear missile at Pearl Harbor disguised to appear as though a Chinese sub had launched it. This would have caused the US to attack the PRC thus seriously damaging the Soviet Union's two major enemies.

The author surmises the KGB rogue group failed to properly use the launch codes and, consequently, the missile self destructed while still aboard the sub. Damned interesting read. Would like to hear from anyone who has read it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #14682
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I've only read 10% and I'm already hooked!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #14683
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I've only read 10% and I'm already hooked!
I was reeled in from the start, as well. Enjoy and savor!

PS My cousin just moved from Switzerland to Doha and have planned a vacation in Abu Dhabi (they're very excited to be there)!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #14684
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I was reeled in from the start, as well. Enjoy and savor!

PS My cousin just moved from Switzerland to Doha and have planned a vacation in Abu Dhabi (they're very excited to be there)!
Thanks

I hope they enjoy their time in AD!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #14685
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I plan to read that one eventually, it's already sitting in my reader but I got so much to read that I don't know when I will actually start it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote