Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Sanderfox
Sanderfox began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
Sigil crashes when saving

Hi,

I just started using Sigil and I must say: it looks promising! Looks nice and is easy to use. I just hit one problem at the moment: when I'm trying to save a html page as epub, Sigil crashes immediately. I'm on Windows 7 x64 and I also tried compatibility mode (no difference). I have attached the html page I tried to save. Any other people having the same problem?

Sander

Update: I also tried saving some normal text, but the problem stays the same.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archaeology_Coursebook.zip (2.5 KB, 419 views)

Last edited by Sanderfox; 09-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Sanderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderfox View Post
I just hit one problem at the moment: when I'm trying to save a html page as epub, Sigil crashes immediately.
Works fine on my machine. What version of Sigil are you using?

Quote:
I'm on Windows 7 x64 and I also tried compatibility mode (no difference).
Sigil is developed on Windows 7 x64, so if it's going to work on any platform without problems, that would be the one.

BTW, in the future do try to report these kinds of problems in a new issue on the issue tracker, not on the forum.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
I'm having the same problems. Have you found a solution, Sanderfox?
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Sanderfox
Sanderfox began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
My issue was caused by one or two bugs that have been fixed short after. If I remember correctly, one had something do to with the way Calibre output the file. The other I don't know, but I don't have the problem any longer. I didn't do anything to fix it myself.

In earlier versions of Sigil, a file was included that you had to run to install the Visual C++ 6.0 runtime components in Windows. Although it is as far as I know no longer included with Sigil, you could installing that. Perhaps it'll work. See here.

Good luck!
Sanderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In earlier versions of Sigil, a file was included that you had to run to install the Visual C++ 6.0 runtime components in Windows. Although it is as far as I know no longer included with Sigil, you could installing that. Perhaps it'll work. See here.
It's not the MSVC 6.0 runtime, far from it. It is the MSVC 9.0 runtime, and it is still included in the Sigil installer. Why it fails to install on some systems when it installs just fine on most of them is beyond me.

This FAQ item covers this. Install one of the linked components by hand.

But the saving issue is not caused by that. The people for whom the runtime fails to install can't even start Sigil. The crash-on-save problem is caused by ZipArchive throwing an exception because it can't create the ZIP archive (the epub file) for some reason. I believe it's a permissions issue, but I honestly don't know. I can't get it to reproduce on my system, or any other I've tried.

In Sigil 0.2.0, an exception handling system is in place and Sigil shouldn't crash on this anymore. It will output a message describing why the saving failed. When that happens, the users will be able to report the message on the tracker (it also contains some debug info) and then I'll be able to figure out what's going on. That's the idea at least.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
WEMV
WEMV began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 6
I have encountered this problem several times. It turns out that each time it was because I had the epub file open in Adobe Digital Editions Reader at the same time. I like to check how the TOC is working using ADE Reader. Once I close ADE Reader Sigil saves just fine. Unfortunatly when it happens I lose all the changes I have made.

Ed
WEMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMV View Post
I have encountered this problem several times. It turns out that each time it was because I had the epub file open in Adobe Digital Editions Reader at the same time.
Well that would obviously cause a problem, yes. ADE holds a lock on the file, and Sigil tries to replace that file with a new one: Sigil can't (ADE has the lock!), and then it crashes.

But that's a user error, isn't it?

Granted, Sigil shouldn't crash when this happens but gracefully stop the operation. And this is what it does in 0.2.0, now that the new exception handling subsystem is in place.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Kivgaen
Enthusiast
Kivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enoughKivgaen will become famous soon enough

Device: all devices
me too!

I've just installed sigil 0.1.9 today (Windows Setup.exe). I downloaded and installed today and have had the same problems on saving.

Sometimes the save works great, others the save crashes the program without saving. I was working on "split" mode both times when saving, if that helps at all.

Where do I post comments and suggestions about feature changes, by the way? I haven't weeded through all the posts to find that information yet.

Cheers,
K.
Kivgaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
I've just installed sigil 0.1.9 today (Windows Setup.exe). I downloaded and installed today and have had the same problems on saving.
This issue has become the greatest thorn in my side... I can't reproduce it, and therefore can't fix it. I need to be able to experience the bug.

Do you perhaps have the original file open in another application at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
Where do I post comments and suggestions about feature changes, by the way? I haven't weeded through all the posts to find that information yet.
The ReportingIssues wiki page explains the correct procedure.