Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Is It Really This Easy?

I noticed a book on the Connect site today, published by ereads.com.

I checked the ereads.com site and saw that their multiformat does not seem to include RTF. However it does include LIT.

Then I found free software, ABC Amber LIT Converter, which apparently easily converts LIT to RTF.

Can it really be this easy to get content for our Sony Readers from sites that sell LIT format books? What about other formats? If so, I really want to know, because it significantly expands my/our options for content.

Do you think that Sony is just converting ereads.com books (with permission) into RTF format and selling it on the Connect site, or is there probably an arrangement to create it in the Sony DRM? If there is, then maybe it means more content will become available on Connect.

Last edited by Michele; 10-08-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, when it says PRINTING DISABLED on the multiformat description, does that cause conversion tools like this to be disabled too?
Advert
Old 10-08-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Can it really be this easy to get content for our Sony Readers from sites that sell LIT format books? What about other formats? If so, I really want to know, because it significantly expands my/our options for content.
It is usually very easy to convert from LIT to HTML (using the original software ConvertLIT) or directly from LIT to RTF (using some third party tool that builds upon the ConvertLIT sources, like the ABC Amber Converter). It may be illegal to use in some countries (if you are not allowed to circumvent the protection), but if you originally bought it, it may just as well be considered fair use.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
It is usually very easy to convert from LIT to HTML (using the original software ConvertLIT) or directly from LIT to RTF (using some third party tool that builds upon the ConvertLIT sources, like the ABC Amber Converter). It may be illegal to use in some countries (if you are not allowed to circumvent the protection), but if you originally bought it, it may just as well be considered fair use.
In cases like this where the law is pratically unenforceable, it comes down to individual morals. I have no problem with breaking drm to read a book I have already paid for. Nor would I worry about downloading a book I already own in print form.

All in all, its a wooly area, like listening to MP3s of CDs you own, and recording TV programs.
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
David Rothman makes a good comment on Teleread:

http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=5632
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Michele
Addict

Holy crap! Does this happen often around here?

Bye. Nice knowing you.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAllenFiz
In cases like this where the law is pratically unenforceable, it comes down to individual morals. I have no problem with breaking drm to read a book I have already paid for. Nor would I worry about downloading a book I already own in print form.

All in all, its a wooly area, like listening to MP3s of CDs you own, and recording TV programs.
Ditto.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Bye. Nice knowing you.
Huh? Michele, you are not leaving us, are you?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Michele
Addict

Sorry, that freaked me out. I've never had a post picked up and discussed elsewhere, and I misinterpreted his hostile tone on first reading.

'S cool now.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Sorry, that freaked me out. I've never had a post picked up and discussed elsewhere, and I misinterpreted his hostile tone on first reading.

'S cool now.
It is a scary concept, though. It turns out that yes, converting copy-protected books into other formats is possibly illegal. Apparently, you can't even count on a fair-use defense (I was talking to a lawyer involved in the RIAA music-sharing cases, and he said there's been no determination of whether turning a CD you own into an MP3, for personal consumption, is legal or not - and that doesn't even involve the evil DMCA!).

But yeah, David is just hostile towards the law that makes it illegal to do things like that (and even illegal to discuss them, as we're doing! At least in the US...)

But don't let it scare you too much. It's impossible to truly enforce, and I've been discussing format conversion for a while now, including LIT files. If you want to keep converting them, you might check out vvv's BookDesigner 4.0, since it creates LRF files (the Reader's native file type). It's harder to use than ABCLit, but has many more options.

(There's my thread about this here .)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
Michele
Addict

How best to use purchased multiformat texts for Reader?

Thanks, bingle, I'll look into it.

Maybe I didn't make it clear that the books I was referring to were offered for sale in multi-format, including: Rocket/REB1100 (RB) , Adobe Acrobat (PDF) , Palm Doc (PDB) , Microsoft Reader (LIT) - PocketPC 1.0+ Compatible, Franklin eBookMan (FUB) , hiebook (KML) , iSilo (PDB) , Mobipocket (PRC) , OEBFF Format (IMP).

I think it's obvious that the publisher intends wide-spread use of the text in a range of ebook formats. Let's just assume that for now. How best to use purchased multiformat texts for Reader? PDF isn't a very good option, and RTF isn't offered.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Thanks, bingle, I'll look into it.

Maybe I didn't make it clear that the books I was referring to were offered for sale in multi-format, including: Rocket/REB1100 (RB) , Adobe Acrobat (PDF) , Palm Doc (PDB) , Microsoft Reader (LIT) - PocketPC 1.0+ Compatible, Franklin eBookMan (FUB) , hiebook (KML) , iSilo (PDB) , Mobipocket (PRC) , OEBFF Format (IMP).

I think it's obvious that the publisher intends wide-spread use of the text in a range of ebook formats. Let's just assume that for now. How best to use purchased multiformat texts for Reader? PDF isn't a very good option, and RTF isn't offered.

Are the books in protected format? If they are, it's still illegal to transform them into another format - despite what the publisher wants :-) I'm not familiar with most of those formats, so I don't know if they include DRM or not.

But anyway, to answer your question, I've had good luck with converting .LIT files to other formats (both RTF and BBeB.) I haven't had a lot of luck with PDFs.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Are the books in protected format? If they are, it's still illegal to transform them into another format....
In the U.S. -- other countries may have different laws.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The DMCA is definitely a scary thing, but it has not been ruled on that it is constitutionally kosher to limit your fair use rights as far as I know. I'm not aware of anyone being taken to court for violating the DMCA's provision on bypassing encryption/security for an item typically covered under their own personal fair use. The high profile cases that have involved the DMCA and fair use were cases against parties that were producing tools/instructions allowing others to violate the DMCA. Like a company makes a tool to strip PDF DRM and distributes it, there would be a DMCA case against them. The people using the tool for personal fair use do not have a case against them.

In other words as a personal user, don't worry about it too much yet.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I believe format shifting is legal for personal use in many countries.

If we are allowed to format shift the tracks from our music cds and put them on our iPods as mp3's where's the difference in format shifting a book/ebook?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote