Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #21571
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
That's not ranting. That's contradiction.
No, that's not contradiction, that's Monty Python
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #21572
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
That's the ferocious, man-eating, flesh-devouring aggressive beast that I think of when using the term 'Daddy Long Legs.'

If I'm not mistaken, weren't they one of the plagues of Egypt that are spoken of in the Bible?

Stitchawl
Nah. The closest thing they had to an infestation of granddaddy long leg spiders was a plague of gnats (Ex. 8:12–15), or some kind of biting bug. The Hebrew isn't clear to modern readers. I've never known anyone to be bitten by one of those spiders. They're so flimsy, clumsy, and stupid that I wonder how they manage to survive.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #21573
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Nah. The closest thing they had to an infestation of granddaddy long leg spiders was a plague of gnats (Ex. 8:12–15), or some kind of biting bug. The Hebrew isn't clear to modern readers. I've never known anyone to be bitten by one of those spiders. They're so flimsy, clumsy, and stupid that I wonder how they manage to survive.
Actually they can bite .... don't make me remember it ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #21574
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Surely it couldn't have been very painful.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #21575
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I remember as a kid at summer camp, we used to put pieces of adhesive tape on the walls next to the head of our beds at night, and in the morning there would always be several of them stuck to the tape. In my brain I know that these aren't nasty critters, but when I see those looooooong legs they just freak me out. I wonder why I don't get that same feeling when I see Sharon Stone?

Quote:
Surely it couldn't have been very painful.
There are no degrees of pain. Sensation is either comfortable or intolerable. People often talk about something they call their 'pain threshold.' Mine is called a 'discomfort index.' I used to ask for general anesthesia when I got hair cuts. It's one of the reasons I grew a full beard...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #21576
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I remember as a kid at summer camp, we used to put pieces of adhesive tape on the walls next to the head of our beds at night, and in the morning there would always be several of them stuck to the tape. In my brain I know that these aren't nasty critters, but when I see those looooooong legs they just freak me out. I wonder why I don't get that same feeling when I see Sharon Stone?
Because you're appreciating her for her mind? (She is rumored to have a very high IQ.)

Quote:
There are no degrees of pain. Sensation is either comfortable or intolerable. People often talk about something they call their 'pain threshold.' Mine is called a 'discomfort index.' I used to ask for general anesthesia when I got hair cuts. It's one of the reasons I grew a full beard...

Stitchawl
There was a reason I was asking. My wife is always complaining of spider bites, while I never notice them. Some people react stronger to certain stimuli than others, especially if they're allergic.

I think if I were ever captured by the evil ones, I could hold up under a good deal of torture; but if they brought in a dentist I'd tell them everything they wanted to know and a few things they didn't.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #21577
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because you're appreciating her for her mind? (She is rumored to have a very high IQ.)
That must be what it is... but... then... why did I like Annette?

Quote:
There was a reason I was asking. My wife is always complaining of spider bites, while I never notice them. Some people react stronger to certain stimuli than others, especially if they're allergic.
I've NEVER felt a spider bite me. But I blow up like a balloon from them. I'll get a lump the size of a golf ball, with two very distinct 'fang' holes in the center. If I'm not mistaken, most spider venom has anesthetic qualities to it. And as the fangs are so thin and short, you really don't feel them when they puncture the skin. Mosquitoes, on the other hand, inject an extremely HOT anti-coagulating liquid, and it's the heat of the sting that we feel, rather than the puncture itself.

Quote:
I think if I were ever captured by the evil ones, I could hold up under a good deal of torture; but if they brought in a dentist I'd tell them everything they wanted to know and a few things they didn't.
Back in the day, when I went to the doctor to get spayed, I asked him how many nurses he had. He said 'one.' I said 'that's not enough to hold me down because of the pain.' The doctor replied ' Oh, but I give you a local anesthetic shot first.' I said "that's what you'll need them to hold me down for!"

Stitchawl
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #21578
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
When I was pregnant I got a cold that developed into a really bad cough. I needed a cough suppressant with codeine for the pain which didn't really suppress the cough. I was coughing hard enough that I was peeing. It was awful and took a month to deal with. We were gradually adding medicine because of the pregnancy so it took a while.

Guess what is back? Ugggghhh so far it is not as bad, but I could jump right into medication. It is getting better, I am not coughing as much but I do have a multitude of fits each day. If it is not cleared up by Monday I am going to the Doctor.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #21579
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I wonder why I don't get that same feeling when I see Sharon Stone?
May have something to do with the way she crosses those legs...?

Quote:
I've lived in Africa, the States and Europe, and to my almost certain knowledge have never been bitten by a spider. Maybe I should start selling my blood as an anti-spider bite vaccine?

I did almost grasp a door handle in the dark many years ago, when I noticed it move. I was just about to grab hold of a baboon spider, which was sitting on the handle, and might well have ruined my non-bit record.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #21580
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Back in the day, when I went to the doctor to get spayed,

Adj. 1. spayed - (of a female animal) having the ovaries removed
castrated, unsexed - deprived of sexual capacity or sexual attributes

from freedictionary.com

I'd be wanting a lot more than a local anaesthetic!!!

(I can't work out what you meant to write but it can't really be spayed - can it?)
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #21581
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Adj. 1. spayed - (of a female animal) having the ovaries removed
castrated, unsexed - deprived of sexual capacity or sexual attributes

from freedictionary.com

(I can't work out what you meant to write but it can't really be spayed - can it?)
witty username, that is simply stitchies way of being witty
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #21582
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I've NEVER felt a spider bite me. But I blow up like a balloon from them. I'll get a lump the size of a golf ball, with two very distinct 'fang' holes in the center. If I'm not mistaken, most spider venom has anesthetic qualities to it. And as the fangs are so thin and short, you really don't feel them when they puncture the skin. Mosquitoes, on the other hand, inject an extremely HOT anti-coagulating liquid, and it's the heat of the sting that we feel, rather than the puncture itself.
Very true! The bites are never felt. But then the red area with two fang holes starts to blow up and itch! Sometimes I do feel their tiny little legs on my skin!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #21583
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
witty username, that is simply stitchies way of being witty
Sorry, Witty. There wasn't an emoticon for vasectomy.
We use the word 'spayed' for females, which is quite clear, but the word 'fixed' for males which unless kept in context, can get confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Very true! The bites are never felt. But then the red area with two fang holes starts to blow up and itch! Sometimes I do feel their tiny little legs on my skin!
If I don't quickly take an antihistamine tablet AND use some topical Benadryl Cream or the equivalent as soon as I notice the swelling, I'm in real pain for a few hours. No danger of anaphylaxis, but really uncomfortable. Any you KNOW I don't do 'uncomfortable!'

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 12-09-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #21584
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Before I got neutered, everyone told me of how sore they'd been after the operation. I got the operation and was back at work the next day lifting, walking, and doing all the things I normally did; all the while thinking smugly about what wimps other men were who had had vasectomies. It didn't slow me down and hardly bothered me at all.

Spoiler:
...until the third day. When I found myself shuffling from place to place like Tim Conway's Old Man character. Yeee-OUCH that hurt!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #21585
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Cough is gone. Nausea and diareha have arrived. It has been ages since I have vommited and I am fine with it being ages before having the experience again.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness