Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #14536
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser (really good so far, very absorbing)

Storm Front by Jim Butcher (first book in The Dresden Files, enjoying it)
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #14537
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Third Palahniuk title this year: this time Invisible Monsters.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #14538
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I read Neil Gaiman's wonderful Coraline. Terrific book! Imaginative. Happy. Funny. Scary Here's what Gaiman himself said about it:

"It's the strangest book I've written, it took the lingest time to write, and it's the book I'm proudest of.'"

I see why he feels that way.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 11-08-2012 at 09:42 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #14539
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some of my recent reads:

"Last Seen Wearing" by Colin Dexter.

"Off With His Head" by Ngaio Marsh

"The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn" by Colin Dexter

"The Curse of the Pharaohs" by Elizabeth Peters
STOP! My to read list is long enough. Could you start with Last Seen Wearing... or should you really read the first one first?

I also just bought 11/22/63 by King... seeing how it dropped below $10 in the Kindle store.

But, still on book two of A Game of Thrones.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #14540
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
One I just remembered I also read when I was away on holiday, and thoroughly enjoyed: Brandon Sanderson's "Warbreaker". This is a standalone fantasy and, as with all of Sanderson's books, has an ingenious magic system and strong world-building (which people tend to either love or hate - I very much like it).
I'm glad to hear you liked it, but I am not sure what it is about that book, I have started it twice and still not been able to get beyond the prologue. I normally really like his books (reading The Gathering Storm right now) so I am not sure what it is. Maybe I just need to give it a couple more chapters to get drawn in. I may try again next year.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #14541
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
STOP! My to read list is long enough. Could you start with Last Seen Wearing... or should you really read the first one first?
Reading "Last Seen Wearing" in isolation would be no problem at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #14542
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Just started: Analog SFF, December 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors.
Well, actually I find I started Asimov's SF, December 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors.

Which was an above-average issue. Now I am reading the Analog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #14543
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I also just bought 11/22/63 by King... seeing how it dropped below $10 in the Kindle store.
I'll be getting 11/22/63 as well. Sounds really good!! It will be my first time reading an 800+ paged book
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #14544
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm glad to hear you liked it, but I am not sure what it is about that book, I have started it twice and still not been able to get beyond the prologue. I normally really like his books (reading The Gathering Storm right now) so I am not sure what it is. Maybe I just need to give it a couple more chapters to get drawn in. I may try again next year.
I found it a slow start, too, but I stuck with it, and I'm pleased that I did. It really picks up after the first couple of chapters.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #14545
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I just finished Master and Margarita the other day. I admit I didn't catch half of the subtleties. It needs many rereadings, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
Finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, 3 books. It was a good series.
I'm about to finish it, too.

Right now I'm at the first pages of Memories of Hadrian (Marguerite Yourcenar). And I want to read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, I've never read John Le Carré before. Those who did, how is the book?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #14546
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's not an easy read, but it repays the effort it takes. I've read almost all Le Carre's books; excellent author.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #14547
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Some of my recent reads:

"Last Seen Wearing" by Colin Dexter.

"Off With His Head" by Ngaio Marsh

"The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn" by Colin Dexter

"The Curse of the Pharaohs" by Elizabeth Peters
Quote:

BOb
Sigh. It's been years since I read the Morse books, but now you've gone and done it. I'm going to have to go back and read them. They were excellent, even better than the series, and that's saying a lot.

And the Elizabeth Peters books. My wife has read them all, but I've somehow never gotten in to them. Time to give them another try.

While we're at it, may I suggest the R. D. Wingfield Inspector Frost books? They're available in the UK on Kindle, but NOT in the US, unfortunately, or I'd buy some. I remember reading them 20 years ago and being quite pleased with them.

(This thread is the pits for those of us trying to control our eBook habit!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #14548
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'm reading The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons. It's kind of like Downton Abbey but with a refugee from Nazi Europe.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #14549
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sigh.

(This thread is the pits for those of us trying to control our eBook habit!)
This thread is the pits for those of us wanting to enjoy finishing reading the book we're reading without dipping into what others are reading and then researching the titles and prices and discounts and library availability etc and feeling most unsettled about wanting to get and read those books now!!!

(Long drawn out convoluted sentence is an indicator of frustration and overwhelm at authors/books yet to read ..... sigh .....)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #14550
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Good to hear that you have really broken your Fast .

I'm finishing up In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, and am in a quandry what to move on to next. The choice is between:

Wolf Hall: Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel
The Twelve - Justin Cronin
Monster Hunter Legion - Larry Correia
Rabbit, Run - John Updike

Bit of an eclectic mix, I know. Will have to see what kind of mood I'm in when I finish the Capote.
Thanks Orlok. It really is good to be reading "full time" again.

Going strictly by title (as I know nothing about the books nor the authors) I would suggest Monster Hunter Legion.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote