Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #14491
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
After the great experience I had with Martuk ... the Holy, I picked up two of Jonathan Winn's novellas which are basically side-stories for the novel. The first is The Wounded King and the second is The Elder.
These were both really good and they gave me additional background to the novel.

Now I'm reading another indie effort - this time by Scott Haworth. The book is called Heaven 2.0. It's interesting so far.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #14492
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
Now reading nypd red by james patterson bared to you by syliva day and thirst by Christopher pike usually il read one at a time but now im reading what im in the mood at the time i want to read
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #14493
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Re-reading Ravenwood, the first of the Tanyth Fairport novels by Nathan Lowell, in preparation for reading the second one, Zepheria's Call. I'm enjoying it even more the second time. Mr. Lowell really is an excellent story teller. Oh, there are some structural issues here and there, same as with the Solar Clipper series, but they work because the man knows how to tell a story and make the people in it interesting and more than simply flat. Recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #14494
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've just begun the Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child series with Gideon Crew as the newest creation of their combined efforts. Not very 'deep' reading, but it's kept my interest through the first 50 pages. I have hopes for the series.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #14495
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Borne Identity. I'd seen the movie but never read any of the books. And, as you can probably guess, the book was better than the film.

Next up, Frozen Heat, the forth in the Nikki Heat series by Richard Castle
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #14496
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Finished The Twelve today and loved it. Such a long wait for City Of Mirrors! I'll probably give the first two a re-read before I read COM.

I've now started The Ward by S.L.Grey and it's started out in quite a sinister way so far.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #14497
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've just begun the Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child series with Gideon Crew as the newest creation of their combined efforts. Not very 'deep' reading, but it's kept my interest through the first 50 pages. I have hopes for the series.
I'm starting to get a bit worried... There are a few too many plot cliches showing up, including the head of the super-secret organization out to save the world, who is confined to a wheelchair, has a patch over one eye, and never smiles.

Stitchawl
Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #14498
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm starting to get a bit worried... There are a few too many plot cliches showing up, including the head of the super-secret organization out to save the world, who is confined to a wheelchair, has a patch over one eye, and never smiles.
Stitchawl
I read this book when it first came out and decided not to continue with this series because of the cliches and too much coincidences and lucky things happening.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #14499
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today I finished Cabal by Michael Dibdin (third in the Aurelio Zen series). It was okay, a lot quicker read than the first two in the series. I'm now a third of the way in to my first Grisham book, The Racketeer, and I' thoroughly enjoying it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #14500
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Re-reading Ravenwood, the first of the Tanyth Fairport novels by Nathan Lowell, in preparation for reading the second one, Zepheria's Call. I'm enjoying it even more the second time. Mr. Lowell really is an excellent story teller. Oh, there are some structural issues here and there, same as with the Solar Clipper series, but they work because the man knows how to tell a story and make the people in it interesting and more than simply flat. Recommended.
Finished Zepheria's Call. Enjoyed it, and I'll definitely be reading the next one whenever it comes out. That being said, however, in Zepheria's Call, the character of Tanith Fairport develops some more, and we get additional characters joining the plot, but overall, the plot doesn't really get us very far. There is less happening here than in Ravenwood, and overall it felt transitional. That's not all bad, but it definitely stopped well before I was ready for it to, with an overall feeling of not being as fully thought out as Ravenwood. While I'd give Ravenwood a 5, I can't really get past about 3.5 out of 5 for Zepheria's Call. Worth my time, but not compelling.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 AM   #14501
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Today I finished Cabal by Michael Dibdin (third in the Aurelio Zen series). It was okay, a lot quicker read than the first two in the series. I'm now a third of the way in to my first Grisham book, The Racketeer, and I' thoroughly enjoying it.
I enjoyed Dibdin as well.

Some of his books were made into tele movies and we saw them here in Aus earlier this year.

From memory they were an Italian/English co-pro and they were set in Italy.

They were very very good and I hope there's more to come.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #14502
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I enjoyed Dibdin as well.
Some of his books were made into tele movies and we saw them here in Aus earlier this year.
From memory they were an Italian/English co-pro and they were set in Italy.
They were very very good and I hope there's more to come.
I've got the dvd. Unfortunately the BBC has decided not to continue with the tv series, despite it being popular, because they want to focus on "Original Drama" (stories written especially for tv, not based on novels).
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #14503
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I read this book when it first came out and decided not to continue with this series because of the cliches and too much coincidences and lucky things happening.
Now at around 200 pages, I'm beginning to think the same way...

Stitchawl
Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #14504
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
My wife loves to read the Grisham books in English. They are almost readable for her without too much running to the dictionary. I've read them all and enjoyed 'almost' all.

Stitchawl
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #14505
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle
On Deck: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, The Twelve by Justin Cronin
John F is offline   Reply With Quote