Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Another library book procedure inquiry

I did a search and found a thread on how to get library books on the Fire. I tried to follow the recommendations, but still can't make it work. I belong to one local library and to the Phoenix city library system, both of which are set up to send books to the Kindle.

As suggested, I first went to Overdrive to see what was what. It wanted to know the city or the ZIP code of where the libraries were. I put in the two different ZIP codes, and got a response that there were no libraries there. Huh?

I called the Phoenix main library and they gave me a link to a place on their website that had tutorials on how to do this. Eventually it directed me to a link that would get me back to Overdrive where supposedly there was a way to download the software. No such link.

One time I was messing around at the Overdrive site and I got a box pop up that said some plugins were necessary to access the site. I hit the box to download these,and got a message that no plugins were necessary. Huh again?

I also went to the Kindle page that gives step-by-steps on how to download, and of course, the first link directed me right back to Overdrive, which still was no help.

What am I missing? Somewhere in all this messing around, the Kindle noted something to the effect that no software was required, as the Fire was set up to do this automatically. Yet, they wanted me to go to Overdrive. Huh, the 3rd time?

Is there any place where there is a Directions for Dummies on how to get library books to my Fire?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Go to your library's digital page to borrow; not OverDrive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Here are a couple of videos that might help (replace the library websites in the video with your libraries site)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9OxDGpEGeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz0OcjgxtSU

These are for borrowing Kindle books, if you're trying to borrow ePubs to read with the OverDrive app or another app like Mantano, Aldiko or BlueFire the steps are a bit different.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Here's how it works for my library - pretty simple.

1. follow the link on my library's web site that takes me to the proper overdrive sub-site associated with my library. sign in with library card #.
2. use the horrible navigation procedure to locate books to borrow, add them to the e-cart or reserve, go to check out when ready.
3. When you check out, each book has a link that sends you to an amazon page that is mostly like the regular 'buy this book' page. From here the process is the same as if you bought it and is all done through amazon. Usually I just choose to deliver it to my Kindle and it shows up after a while.

It is important to use the computer to do this, as the sites involved have much fancy javascript or flash or whatever that doesn't work with the Fire's browser. But no software is needed, for the kindle format books at least.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Thanks, all. One problem I had is that I have not been back to the library since I bought my Kindle1 some four years ago. It did no good to keep entering my library card number, for as I found out today when going there, it had expired through lack of use. :-(

They quickly brought my card up-to-date, and when I went back to that library's website, it was surprisingly easy to find a book, click on "checkout" which did bring me to the Amazon page, which showed it as a library book (at no cost). i sent it to the Fire, and it arrived just as quickly as a purchased book.

Wonderful. When I consider what a fortune I have spent on hundreds of books over the years, I don't feel guilty about using the free library ones. Amazon, you sure knew what you were doing by selling the Kindles. Sorry, but I am going to get library books for a while.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Since we have several library cards, I always go first to search.overdrive.com. Then I select Advanced Search. There is no place to put in a zip code; instead, if Overdrive has the book, I then select by Country and State.

This does require that one already know what title, or at least author, is desired. Thank you to all review sites linked at www.realclearbooks.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
When I consider what a fortune I have spent on hundreds of books over the years, I don't feel guilty about using the free library ones.
Although I've written here that we can't afford to buy many books, and thus have to use libraries, if you added it up, the cost of the gas, and car wear and tear, we used to spend visiting big distant public libraries (Chester County in Exton PA was one) could well have come to a third world fortune. Thinking about that, my wife and I have no problem paying an out of area library fee.

Seattle Public Library, are you listening?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Interesting points. What ever happened to Bookmobiles?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thinking about that, my wife and I have no problem paying an out of area library fee.

They do have an out of area plan, but it's limited to Washington residents; and it's a bit spendy:

Quote:
Can I use Library services if I don't qualify for a free card?

Yes, but to borrow items, you will need a:
  • Visitor card - for people temporarily living in our service area for up to three months. Visitor cards cost $25 and are good for three months. People using a visitor card can borrow up to five items at a time.
  • Non-resident card - for people living in Washington state who do not qualify for service in other ways. Non-resident cards cost $85 and are good for one year.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Interesting points. What ever happened to Bookmobiles?
Budget cuts.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
...Although I've written here that we can't afford to buy many books, and thus have to use libraries, if you added it up, the cost of the gas, and car wear and tear, we used to spend visiting big distant public libraries (Chester County in Exton PA was one) ...
Seeing as I work in Exton, I'm a constant visitor at that library.

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote