Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
ZaZg
Isabelle G
ZaZg doesn't litterZaZg doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question Sony Ebookstore Open to Canadians...

... well, almost.

I have made the mistake of entering a Canadian credit card on the Sony bookstore, and it now identifies me as a Canadian. Oh, well, I suppose I am.

What's the harm in that? Well, many books are now marked U.S. Only. I checked Sony's FAQ, and they state that "some publishers have not authorized the sale of their books outside the United States". So I went and verified that.

Case scenario:
Author: Terry Pratchet
Book: The Wee Free Men (Story of Discworld)
Publisher: Harper Collins
Marked U.S. Only on the Sony bookstore.

I went directly to Harper Collins web site, in the ebooks section, and guess what? I bought the book! (mind you, not in LRF, but I fixed that, thanks to ConvertLIT and Calibre)... and cheaper than what Sony would have charged me!

So the truth is: Sony doesn't want to sell some books outside the United States, not the publishers! Now, why is that, do you think? I can't figure it out myself... money is money, right?
ZaZg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sony may have some sort of agreement that they can't sell outside the USA...who knows
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaZg View Post
So the truth is: Sony doesn't want to sell some books outside the United States, not the publishers! Now, why is that, do you think? I can't figure it out myself... money is money, right?
I very much doubt that is "the truth". Just because the publisher will sell the book to you, doesn't mean that Sony has permission to sell it to you. Why would they lie or limit possible sales.

Oh, and just because you're parinoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaZg View Post
... well, almost.

I have made the mistake of entering a Canadian credit card on the Sony bookstore, and it now identifies me as a Canadian. Oh, well, I suppose I am.

What's the harm in that? Well, many books are now marked U.S. Only. I checked Sony's FAQ, and they state that "some publishers have not authorized the sale of their books outside the United States". So I went and verified that.

Case scenario:
Author: Terry Pratchet
Book: The Wee Free Men (Story of Discworld)
Publisher: Harper Collins
Marked U.S. Only on the Sony bookstore.

I went directly to Harper Collins web site, in the ebooks section, and guess what? I bought the book! (mind you, not in LRF, but I fixed that, thanks to ConvertLIT and Calibre)... and cheaper than what Sony would have charged me!

Actually it's Sony following the rules and Harper Collins ignoring them. It's something you'll often see with British authors in that the Canadian rights stay with the British publisher while the US rights go to an American publisher.

If you look up "The Wee Free Men" on Chapters' website you'll see that the only edition available is published by Corgi. Harper doesn't have the Canadian rights.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
CraigMBeckett
CraigMBeckett has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader 505
ZaZg,

You can get all of Pratchett's books (except the last action hero) from Fictionwise in a number of formats including LRF, they are US editions. Company does not care where your credit card comes from.

Craig.
CraigMBeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Sony is big on regional DRM on DVD's so it makes sense that they're careful about enforcing the regional publishing rights on e-books. I wish that electronic publishing would be treated separately and you would have a world wide right. I've run into the same thing purchasing audio books from Audible.

I suspect that the regional publishing rights issue was why Amazon decided to come out with a separate format for the Kindle rather then just using Mobipocket. It might be one of the reasons anyway.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBeckett View Post
ZaZg,

You can get all of Pratchett's books (except the last action hero) from Fictionwise in a number of formats including LRF,
They are indeed available from Fictionwise, but not as LRF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I am not a lawyer, but I think there may be a legal distinction between selling a device (ebook reader) and its contents and just the contents. If Sony or Amazon sells a Reader to someone in a country, then the associated ebooks are going to that country and they can probably be sued in that country. If FictionWise sells an ebook, who knows where it ends up and perhaps FictionWise would have to get sued in the US if (say) a UK publisher objected to Fictionwise selling to UK or Canadian residents. Or am I completely off base? I'm sure FictionWise would tell you that all their sales occur in the US, and it is the location of the store that matters. After all, physical bookstores don't refuse sales to foreign credit cards.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
ZaZg
Isabelle G

Quote:
Bob: « Oh, and just because you're parinoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. »
Oh, I know they are! I see them everywhere! And I hear them, too, they speak to me in my head through brainwaves coming from cell phones... ;-)
Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
ZaZg
Isabelle G

This has to be it reason. Like many before me, I wish Sony and Amazon just got together to create a reader with Amazonian features...
Old 06-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
It often has to do with author rights. If the rights that an author sold to a publisher are US only, then the publisher only has the legal power to sell withiin the US. Usually the rights, though, are North American, and then foreign rights can be sold individually or as "world" rights.

Some retailers don't always abide by those rights and do sell to customers outside the legally sanctioned area. It would probably be up to the author to constrain that.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
It often has to do with author rights. If the rights that an author sold to a publisher are US only, then the publisher only has the legal power to sell withiin the US. Usually the rights, though, are North American, and then foreign rights can be sold individually or as "world" rights.

Some retailers don't always abide by those rights and do sell to customers outside the legally sanctioned area. It would probably be up to the author to constrain that.
The other thing to remember is that Canada is very much a special case: It's part of both North America and the Commonwealth. What happens is if the book is sold to a US publisher first they normally buy NA rights (US and Canada). If it's first sold to a UK publisher they buy Commonwealth rights (includes Canada). So Canada may not get the editions of certain books that people expect.

This is why Canadians see these rights issues more than many other nationalities.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
ZaZg
Isabelle G

Quote:
The other thing to remember is that Canada is very much a special case: It's part of both North America and the Commonwealth. What happens is if the book is sold to a US publisher first they normally buy NA rights (US and Canada). If it's first sold to a UK publisher they buy Commonwealth rights (includes Canada). So Canada may not get the editions of certain books that people expect.
You're right. I had not made the link with ebooks, but I do know, for example, that in Canadian bookstores we get the UK versions of the Discworld paperbacks.

I was very surprised the first time I got a Discworld book from Amazon.com! The design is so different - I must say the British covers are much nicer.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #14
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Sony is big on regional DRM on DVDs
The understatement of the year. Sony are positively anal about DRM and regionality - regardless of the effect on the customer. This is the company, remember, that installed software secretly and illegally on people's PCs to prevent personal copying.

I vowed never to buy another Sony product after I spent $2500 on a Vaio, only to discover that it was hard-wired not to play my US DVDs.

I wouldn't put it past them to come up with something equally unfriendly in the sphere of ebooks in the future.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookstore, canada, reader, sony