Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2024, 01:52 PM   #256
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I have always used kobo desktop to set up my new e readers. I don't sync, so no need for WiFi on them.

Kobo desktop isn't compatible with the new models. I discovered this after going to update my version which I haven't used since I set up my Libra 2.

Had to set up a new kobo account since I can't remember which email address mine was set to so I could register and download the new firmware.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:56 PM   #257
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
It looks very nice! I'm waiting for mine.

At what percentage was the frontlight on the picture with text only?
I can’t remember, but I’m sure it was high. I’ve attached two more pics here the first one at 100%, the second at 79%. In enjoying reading on it right now.

ETA. Not sure why my Kobo always looks green in these pics, but it gives you an idea of the kind of accuracy haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	207943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4003.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	207944  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM   #258
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
I have always used kobo desktop to set up my new e readers. I don't sync, so no need for WiFi on them.

Kobo desktop isn't compatible with the new models. I discovered this after going to update my version which I haven't used since I set up my Libra 2.

Had to set up a new kobo account since I can't remember which email address mine was set to so I could register and download the new firmware.

Did you download and install Kobo Desktop since getting the Libra Color? Chances are the one you have is an old version. If you do find out that the Kobo Desktop on kobo.com is not working, you can connect to WiFi, register, and turn off WiFi. That's what I did. I also don't sync. But I see no need to add a program to my computer (Kobo Desktop) that I'll never use.

Actually, I never did register my Libra 2. I used the database from the Aura H2O.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-30-2024 at 03:01 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:03 PM   #259
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I find myself in the odd situation of preferring my Libra Colour in dim light. Before the slight unevenness of the front light with my Libra 2 would bother me at night. But now, I find the screen door effect (as others have called it) to be much worse during the day / in bright light. Also, I have to turn the brightness up to 100% to make the screen appear whiter like I'm used to, which makes me concerned for battery life.

So, yeah. Better reading experience for me in dimmer light. But I really like seeing the color content! I haven't decided yet whether I'm happy with it, but I think I am.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:07 PM   #260
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you download and install Kobo Desktop since getting the Libra Color? Chances are the one you have is an old version.
Yep. It's not compatible.

Note: The Kobo Desktop app is not compatible with Google Chromebooks,*Kobo Libra Colour,*Kobo Clara Colour, or*Kobo Clara BW.

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...your-PC-or-Mac

Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:13 PM   #261
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I find myself in the odd situation of preferring my Libra Colour in dim light. Before the slight unevenness of the front light with my Libra 2 would bother me at night. But now, I find the screen door effect (as others have called it) to be much worse during the day / in bright light. Also, I have to turn the brightness up to 100% to make the screen appear whiter like I'm used to, which makes me concerned for battery life.

So, yeah. Better reading experience for me in dimmer light. But I really like seeing the color content! I haven't decided yet whether I'm happy with it, but I think I am.

I'm happy with it overall as well, I read it in bed last night in dark mode and it was a good experience. I love the color content as well.

I was watching the ad for this again today, and noticed that most people are reading their Kobo Libra Colour in dimly lit rooms. No swimming pools in the ads this time!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:17 PM   #262
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Yep. It's not compatible.

Note: The Kobo Desktop app is not compatible with Google Chromebooks,*Kobo Libra Colour,*Kobo Clara Colour, or*Kobo Clara BW.

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...your-PC-or-Mac

I guess WiFi it is.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:07 PM   #263
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I was very impressed with the rendering of colour images. It's *way* better than I expected. And I am disappointed with the B&W text reading experience. Here I have to give it to the naysayers.

To be clear, it looks perfectly fine at a 'normal' arm's length reading distance. Absolutely beutiful sharp and clear. The problem is that I am a nearsighted reader, and prefer to read with my glasses off. With the reader that close to my face, the coloured patina is very visible.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:15 PM   #264
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Just got mine. It's amazing how small the difference should be with color covers... and yet how much better it feels to have color covers, and the icons for the interface being something other than grey.

There's a picture of the Clara Colour without backlight on from the subreddit, and I think it'll prove true for me too when I get a chance to try it.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1cfzj0y

The rainbow effect of the color filter is noticeable if you look closely (it'll be a bit like someone put a film over it), but the text still looks sharp to me. Sharper than my Forma for sure, and as sharp as the Sage, although the contrast in sunlight I need to check later.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:20 PM   #265
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
To be clear, it looks perfectly fine at a 'normal' arm's length reading distance. Absolutely beutiful sharp and clear. The problem is that I am a nearsighted reader, and prefer to read with my glasses off. With the reader that close to my face, the coloured patina is very visible.
I have the exact same issue. Reminds me of an old CRT TV at too close a viewing angle
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:23 PM   #266
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
iFixit links and parts prices are up, in case this hasn't been posted:

https://www.ifixit.com/collaborations/kobo

Looks like a battery will run around $45 for the Libra Colour, a screen replacement, $130. Still a good argument for using a case, as breaking a substrate is not going to be a cheap fix.

Other parts include motherboard, front and back covers, and these are modestly priced.

I'm still resisting. I just don't see a smaller color device beating my Sage in any way, considering the majority of my content doesn't have much color besides covers. But I have to admit, I'm also very curious and enjoying all the excitement!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:50 PM   #267
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
But I have to admit, I'm also very curious and enjoying all the excitement!
Same. I read all the comments and reviews here with interest, but I don't feel the least bit of a desire to buy one of the new color Kobos. I don't need color and given that their b/w rendering is worse than the previous generation, I'm not tempted at all.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:37 PM   #268
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
I went to Indigo books to look at the new readers in person. I have a L2 and while I like the water resistance and Carta 1200 screen, I have had issues with the slow speed and the weight is a bit heavy after holding it in one hand for several hours.

For me, I really liked the colours and speed on the LC. Nice and snappy refreshes. Honestly the fastest e-reader I've ever tried. However, I couldn't get past how the B&W reading experience was a step backwards to the Aura/PW1 or 2 days where the contrast is much lower and the "grey" white background is much darker than the B&W e-ink displays from the past couple of years. To mitigate this, I tried to adjust the light brightness and found that to match my L2 at 0%, the light level on the LC had to be greater than 35% at minimum. When I had my L2 at a comfortable 30% light level, I had to put the LC at 85% to match. At the higher brightness levels, the moire screen door effect was apparent even on dark mode. Honestly it wasn't bad and if the purpose of the device was to read comics or pdfs with coloured diagrams/pics, then the LC would have been a good choice. Yes the covers in colour are a nice perk, but since I read B&W for hours at a time every day, the colour models were not an upgrade in experience except for the huge improvement in speed. I want to specify that I am not putting the colour models down - I think they are a very good iteration of e-ink technology and Kobo has managed to produce relatively inexpensive devices that have maximized what the current colour screens can do.

I then compared the CBW against the L2. The contrast and screen is improved on the CBW but the improvement is quite small - maybe 10% better. However, the speed is a significant step up - the menus were snappy and the changes and refreshes much faster compared to the L2. When using dark mode on the CBW, the blacks are blacker and the contrast is improved with less ghosting per page change. It is so much lighter in weight and I personally found the smaller screen size and lack of buttons ok, however, I realize that is a very personal opinion. I also found the recycled plastic is more matte and this decreases fingerprints as well.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 01:45 AM   #269
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I pre-ordered on 10 April and the Kobo website still says shipment pending.

I also got the DPD email too. Ooh it's saying to be delivered today , which is exciting, even though Kobo still says it's not shipped.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk
Received mine and set it up last night. Am enjoying it greatly so far. The colour looks great and the BW reading experience is fine. I have the front light set at around 45% compared to around 25% on the Libra 2, which works for me.

I'm impressed by how much snappier and faster it is. Adding new books from Calibre seems much faster (though no doubt that is partly because it is new and the database on the device is small so far).

Delighted so far.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:15 AM   #270
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Has anyone actually tried black text on a white background?