Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
PB 360 and DRM

I am a very contented refugee from the Opus and I moved over all my books a few days ago when I finally took delivery of the PB 360. Some were originally mobi and to read them in the Opus I had to strip the DRM and convert to ePub with Calibre. Absolutely no problem with opening any of these with either fbreader or the Adobe reader.

I have also bought rather more ePubs and once I had authorised the PB as a device under ADE I appeared to have no problem with any of these.

Yesterday I installed the fbreader config file to ensure that I always opened fbreader which I vastly prefer as an ebook reader over the Adobe. I was reading one of the old converted mobi books at the time and noticed nothing out of the ordinary until I tried to open one of my regular ePubs and it wouldn't open. Finally the penny dropped and they would open happily if I selected the Adobe reader.

Does that mean that fbreader will not open any DRM ePub even if the device is duly authorised? I would have thought that once authorised the DRM would allow the book to open. I hope that this is so, in which case can someone tell me where I have gone wrong. If I haven't, and fbreader will not open a DRM ePub despite being on an authorised device, then the DRM will have to go.

I use a Mac (Snow Leopard) and I would greatly appreciate it if some kind soul would send me a private message and point me in the right direction. All I can find so far is Windows based.

David
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Sorry I can't answer your question but I had the same thing happen yesterday. I was testing FBReader after installing this version - FBReader_180d. I have a couple of books that, when I try to open them I get an hourglass in the middle of the screen for several seconds then I am back at the list of books view.

Since none of these books were originally DRMed, I don't know why they won't open with FBReader...but it doesn't bother me. Maybe someone else has an idea what might cause this but you aren't alone with this oddity.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
FBReader will not open a DRM'd EPUB. You need to use the AdobeViewer for them or de-DRM the DRM'd EPUBs. You can set FBReader to be the default but you can still have the option to open an EPUB with AdobeViewer if you have the right extensions.cfg.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
Thanks tselling. I now realise that FBReader could not open protected files but thanks to the help I have received from a member of this forum my problems will be over.
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
If I'm not mistaken Adobe does not allow existence of two authorized readers on one device - only Adobe reader and ces't tout...
That's why you can read DRMed epubs only with Adobe Reader....
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
If I'm not mistaken Adobe does not allow existence of two authorized readers on one device - only Adobe reader and ces't tout...
That's why you can read DRMed epubs only with Adobe Reader....
It would be good if this can be confirmed; on most forums the lack off Mobi-DRM on ADE devices is blamed on big, evil Amazon. The assumption being that if Evil Amazon relented peace would break out the world over.

If true it might help explain why there are no ADE + eReader dual-DRM gadgets out there.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It would be good if this can be confirmed; on most forums the lack off Mobi-DRM on ADE devices is blamed on big, evil Amazon. The assumption being that if Evil Amazon relented peace would break out the world over.

If true it might help explain why there are no ADE + eReader dual-DRM gadgets out there.
It's Amazon who won't allow any other DRM method than Mobipocket; Adobe are fine with it - eg the Sony devices support both Adobe DRM and Sony's own DRM method.

There is an ADE + eReader dual-DRM device - the B&N "nook".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is an ADE + eReader dual-DRM device - the B&N "nook".
It is my understanding that the nook's eReader support coes via a custom ADE implementation not through separate, independent reader apps.
It is my understanding that Astak has tried for a while to implement the latter approach and had... licensing issues.

<shrug>
No big deal; I don't particularly care what one hypocritical monopolistic company does to another. Just curious.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
The topic here is unrelated to Mobi-DRM. It just means that FBReader on PocketBook can't be modified by the PocketBook dev's to support DRMed ePubs because Adobe seems to allow only one application per device to use their DRM-framework. (Though, i doubt even that.)
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader does not support DRM. In principle Open Source applications can't support DRM because if a vendor updates its source code (e.g. to add DRM) that source code must be released to the device owners. This typically defeats the purpose of the DRM.

The only exception to the code release requirement is that the owners of the copyright can also release a variant of the same code under a different license. The authors of FBReader have left this possibility open, but so far as I know it has never been used.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:

It is the Mobi license terms that prevent this, not the RMSDK license terms. The closest restriction in the RMSDK License terms, is that you can't modify the RMSDK itself to add a DRM scheme that isn't already in there. For example, adding in a new PDF/EPUB DRM scheme by just adding in the DRM handling into the RMSDK, while technically possible, would not be legally permitted. However adding in a new SDK that renders the format (such as say eReader or BBeB) is allowed.

As proof beside my raw word, you can see that other DRM schemes exist quite nicely (contractually) beside the RMSDK:
- The Sony Reader supports the LRX format (DRM'd BBeB) and has for quite some time.
- As Harry noted, the Nook has eReader support (which does not come from the RMSDK).

To my knowledge the FBReader team has yet to contact us about being an RMSDK customer (but I'm not on the sales end, so I don't know for sure), but being Open Source (as Wallcraft noted) would be another violation of the license that the RMSDK is issued under.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 01-03-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: tweaked for grammar and readability
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
kostyan
kostyan began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
FBReader will not open a DRM'd EPUB. You need to use the AdobeViewer for them or de-DRM the DRM'd EPUBs. You can set FBReader to be the default but you can still have the option to open an EPUB with AdobeViewer if you have the right extensions.cfg.
How to open a file with AdobeViewer?
I've activated my PocketBook 360 with help of Adobe Digital Edition (ADE)
Activated my PC computer with the same id.
I can read EPUB file on computer, but when I open it on Pocketbook it shows only small icon at the top of screen, no text.
Context menu shows that it's FBReader.
kostyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostyan View Post
How to open a file with AdobeViewer?
I've activated my PocketBook 360 with help of Adobe Digital Edition (ADE)
Activated my PC computer with the same id.
I can read EPUB file on computer, but when I open it on Pocketbook it shows only small icon at the top of screen, no text.
Context menu shows that it's FBReader.
Select the eBook, press the open button for two or three seconds and a menu will appear. Choose "open with" and then "Adobe Viewer".
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
kostyan
kostyan began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
When I click and hold "OK" central button, it shows menu, but it has only "Open" item, no "Open With"
kostyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostyan View Post
When I click and hold "OK" central button, it shows menu, but it has only "Open" item, no "Open With"
Does "Open" contain another submenu? (Perhaps it's called "open" instead of "open with" - i use the german translation)