Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Starmap HD

I havent even tried this yet, but I know it will be sensational, much better than StarWalk. Its introductory price is $0.99. It will jump up to $10.00+ soon. I have the non HD version on my ipod touch, and it is spectacular. I expect this one to be no different. You heard it here first hehe.. Im SOO excited!!

edit: ok now Ive tried it... it is bada$$! The developer is crazy for letting it go for $0.99!

Last edited by volwrath; 06-08-2010 at 08:21 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Why better than StarWalk?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i blew the buck. i prefer starwalk. starmap seems more like a planetarium where starwalk i can stand outside and get information about what i'm looking at. unless i missed something in starmap's interface, which was overwhelming and confusing (to be fair, starwalk is almost as bad, but starmap is worse).

should also note, this $1 version is the regular, non-pro version.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i blew the buck. i prefer starwalk. starmap seems more like a planetarium where starwalk i can stand outside and get information about what i'm looking at. unless i missed something in starmap's interface, which was overwhelming and confusing (to be fair, starwalk is almost as bad, but starmap is worse).

should also note, this $1 version is the regular, non-pro version.
Starwalk is more like a planatarium in my mind. Starmap is a true professional (amateur) tool vs starwalk. Actually using the brightness setting one can set in starmap the magnitude so the sky appears exactly like it does outside. Starwalk I just couldnt get into at all. It has no options and I dont think you can limit magnitudes at all though I could be wrong on it.

Starmaps interface is daunting, but that is because it does soo much.

If you look at http://www.star-map.fr/?features , starmap hd has all the features of the pro version. Here shows some images, but whereas starwalk is beautiful yet somewhat unuseful, starmap is beautiful AND useful. All this is my own opinion of course, but this thing will cost $20 in the future. Here are some review of the iphone versions if you'd like.

Last edited by volwrath; 06-09-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i saw some mention that a "starmap hd pro" version was coming for $20 and would have more features than this $1 version. wasn't on the official site though.

for $1. this is worth picking up if you want something to look at the heavens with. it's less than a big mac. but i'm no expert, barely an amateur, starwalk seems to work fine for me. i can stand outside with it on my ipad/iphone, face a direction, and see on the screen exactly what i see in the sky. if i turn, the view rotates right along with me. i couldn't figure out how to do that with starmap.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
volwrath
Guru

Starmap has alooottttt of options but to do that, you find the settings wrench and there is a compass setting and you turn one or both of the settings on.

To limit or increase stars, you hit the brightness button.

Starwalk is definitely easier to use, and it was available at launch and it would have worked for me if it had only been able to limit the number of stars displayed. I live in the city, so can't get 1/2 the stars that starwalk displays. Starmap can limit that so it is identical to my night sky.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
edit: ok now Ive tried it... it is bada$$! The developer is crazy for letting it go for $0.99!
You guys are costing me money. 99¢ at a time, but still...

Very nice app and a steal at this price. I notice that the iPhone equivalent is $18.99 and the developers said they wished to make it free on the iPad for those who already have the iPhone version but can't because this is not a universal app.

I suspect the 99¢ intitial release is for the benefit of their existing customers but they can't exclude anyone else...lucky us!
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I wish Google Sky would work like this. That would be great.

Stellarium is a great alternative for those of us without iPads in our hands, and it's fine on netbooks.

Great for stargazing when you can't bring along the motorized telescope! :P
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

well, if they wanted they could have made their original app universal. that decision is in the developer's hands.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Even if it was universal, Google Sky can't do what Starmap can, scott. Starmap's great, albeit expensive as hell (except now, introductory prices are marvelous.)
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru

I 2nd stellarium. Its a great piece of freeware. The only thing I think its missing is artificial satellites, but I think at least the ISS is an add on
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I 2nd stellarium. Its a great piece of freeware. The only thing I think its missing is artificial satellites, but I think at least the ISS is an add on
I've never even bothered to look for those when I'm stargazing. I've caught the ISS by accident a few times, though. Nature's own are so much more fun to look at.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
I bought Starmap for iPhone way back when it first came out...I much prefer Starwalk. Starmap has a lot of capabilities, but it requires too much digging around in the settings and the UI can be pretty unintuitive. It also isn't updated nearly as frequently as Starwalk.

That being said, for .99 it's certainly worth picking up.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
I've never even bothered to look for those when I'm stargazing. I've caught the ISS by accident a few times, though. Nature's own are so much more fun to look at.
Heh I agree, but Thanksgiving night (in the US) the ISS was scheduled to make a pass soon after sunset, directly overhead. So about 5 minutes before the pass I got everyone to go outside and look up. Well clouds had rolled in, so obviously it wasnt going to be seen. Everyone was a little disappointed, but then as if by magic a hole broke in the clouds in the exact spot the ISS flew over at the exact time. Everyone was amazed by it.

Ok so the story wasnt that good...
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
I bought Starmap for iPhone way back when it first came out...I much prefer Starwalk. Starmap has a lot of capabilities, but it requires too much digging around in the settings and the UI can be pretty unintuitive. It also isn't updated nearly as frequently as Starwalk.

That being said, for .99 it's certainly worth picking up.
The main problem I have with Starwalk is the lack of a complete catalog. The most common stars and Messier objects only.

Starmap HD is much better for those of us building observing lists with telescopes or photography equipment. There are thousands of fairly interesting photography targets you can capture with a good scope (or a tracking mount and a 50-200mm lens for the larger ones) that aren't in the Messier catalog of 110.

Last edited by Kolenka; 06-10-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote