Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
DRM

I don't know where to put this question, so if it's in the wrong place, please move it...

I have read a of about DRM - most times negative, sometimes positive....

I have no idea what it is... Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
It's Digital Rights Management or Digital Restrictions Management, see < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management >. It is something publishers believe is absolutely necessary but consumers fear.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
It's Digital Rights Management or Digital Restrictions Management, see < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management >. It is something publishers believe is absolutely necessary but consumers fear.
I really don't think that the typical consumer gives two hoots about it. People are used to it - pretty much everyone buys DVD with DRM region encoding.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't think that the typical consumer gives two hoots about it. People are used to it - pretty much everyone buys DVD with DRM region encoding.

Only going by the few people that I personally know, server based DRM for books is disliked because it is so unwieldy and cumbersome. One older guy I know just gave up in frustration when trying to recover all the books he lost when he bought a new computer and gave his reformatted old computer to his granddaughter. Regional restrictions on DVDs is very unobtrusive, so you are probably right that most people don't notice it. It is also quite easy to buy DVD players that do not honor regional restrictions.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
DVDs not only have region encoding (which you can avoid with multi-region players), but they're all also encoded with CSS encryption.

Which is why iTunes will happily convert your CDs into AAC format for playing on your iPod, but it won't convert your DVDs into a compressed digital format for playing on your iPod Video, because that would break the American DMCA, and similar laws in other countries.

This is a case where DRM (& associated laws) is clearly detrimental to the consumer. And the consumer would be cross about it, if they realised what was going on.

There was the amusing incident of Barack Obama presenting Gordon Brown with a set of DVDs which didn't work on Mr Brown's DVD player!

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
DRM - Digital Rights Management - is any one of a variety of methods used to prevent digital products being copied freely.

Usually it involves encrypting the ebook. Of course, for the purchaser to be able to read the encrypted ebook, the software or device used to read the ebook must contain the decryption key.

DRM is a problem for several reasons.
  1. It doesn't prevent unauthorised copying - most DRM systems have been broken*, and paper books can be scanned.
  2. Publishers have to pay the DRM system providers a per-book fee for DRM
  3. If you change your ebook reader to a device that uses a different format, you can't read your old books on it
  4. If the DRM provider closes down, you're unable to move your books to a new device
  5. Even when it's working properly, buying a new reader or moving to a new computer usually requires you to re-download your ebooks, as the ebooks need to be re-encoded for the new device.

I stopped buying DRMed ebooks for about five years from 2003 to 2008 because of these problems. I only started buying them again because of the appearance of DRM removal scripts.

* By 'broken' I don't mean that the encryption can be removed from any file with no other info. All the DRM removal schemes around require you to have the decryption key. Luckily, these are readily available, as your device of software must contain the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I don't know where to put this question, so if it's in the wrong place, please move it...

Thanks
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

Thanks
Most any question on eBooks can be researched on our wiki (click on the top of the page). In this case DRM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Thank you all

I did do a search on DRM, but only found lots of posts containing the 'word'... Never even thought of looking at the Wiki...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
DRM = "Don't Read Me"
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But, DVDs do not need the formatting fixed. DVDs will play in pretty much most DVD players. It's not the same as eBooks. I can buy any standard DVD I want out of Best Buy in the US and it will work on my DVD player. Same with standard DVDs bought in the UK. Now, eBooks do not work the same. Too many formats and DRM just adds to the hassle. And I do find a lot of eBooks would be better with a format fix. So DRM is yet again in the way.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Everybody I know care about and do buy region free players. That is so they can ignore what region a DVD is in when they buy it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There was the amusing incident of Barack Obama presenting Gordon Brown with a set of DVDs which didn't work on Mr Brown's DVD player!
That is a good one. Did the secret service remove the region code for Gordon Brown?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote