Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
Bermudagirl
Connoisseur
Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Words split between lines on Kobo Touch

This problem may have been dealt with elsewhere, but it was very difficult to do a search for my specific query.
I have just started reading a book on my Kobo Touch but I have noticed in a number of cases, it splits words where they shouldn't be. For instance - the word "screeched" has screech on one line and the ed on the next.
In another example the word "down" has been split between two lines - the letter d on one line and the own on the next.
Finally the name "Lucy" is split - the L on one line and the ucy on the next.
Is there a way to stop this happening?
I've checked how the book looks in both Calibre and Sigil and it looks fine, so I'm not sure how to sort this problem.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Bermudagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have come across this with a few books too, in all my cases it was caused by page number anchors inside the words. My solution was to edit the book and remove the problem anchors using a regular expression search-and-replace. Unfortunately this requires a bit of familiarity with epub editing tools.

If you can open the epub using Calibre's "Edit book" or "Unpack book" functions and look at one of the words that breaks incorrectly, you will probably see something like this:
Code:
L<a id="page394"/>ucy
(This is the word Lucy with a page anchor embedded inside the word.)

If so, then you could use a a regular expression such as:
Code:
<a id="page([0-9]+)"/>
to search and delete all the page anchors, and the problem should be solved.

Most publishers put the page number anchors between words so the problem doesn't usually occur. I have had the problem with about 5 or 6 books in the last 2 years.

Edit: Another work-around might be to load the book as a kepub instead of an epub, using Calibre's KoboTouchExtended plugin. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the kepub reader is not affected by these misplaced anchors.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-01-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Fixed regex, the old one was for Emacs
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Bermudagirl
Connoisseur
Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bermudagirl can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Many thanks Geoff. Will have a go at your suggestion!
Bermudagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
One other simpler possibility -- is your full justification on or off? I found changing it to on (even though, while off, it was still fully justified) changed the hyphenation scheme with my kepubs.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I edited my post #2 to change the regex, the one I used before was for Emacs, the new one works with Calibre's Edit Book function.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do remove the page number anchors. In most cases, they have no need to be in the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote