Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Kobo Glo / Calibre Comm Error (FW 3.11) & Book Issue.

Greetings,

I got an interesting one. One book on my wife's glo was constantly dropping back to the home page (she was on 2.8.1), while the same book works fine on my glo (3.8.0). So I upgraded my wife's glo to (3.11) and now I'm getting two things...

1. the glo says the book has an expired Adobe DRM license and advises to renew it?? (this one worries me)

2. I'm getting a comm error between glo and calibre saying...
Code:
calibre, version 1.48.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 520, in _sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 923, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2287, in update_device_database_collections
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2733, in set_series
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Can someone please explain what is going on and what I should do. Thanks.

By the way, I'm still running XP so am stuck on Calibre 1.48. Should I still be updating the plug-ins?? (I have been)
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That error means the database on the device is corrupt. The original error is probably because of this as well. And I am pretty sure that the DRM error is too.

The fixes are:
- Restore a backup of the database
- Do a signout on the device and back in. This will create an empty database and then load the books into it. If you are loading Adobe DRM protected books on the device, before doing this, take a copy of the ".adobe-digital-editions" directory. Restoring that should restore Adobe authorisation.
- If that doesn't work, do a factory reset.

As to updating the calibre plugins, they should be OK to be updated. I think all the plugins are being maintain so they will work on both 1.48 and the current versions of calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Thx David,

Took me a while to find that sign out bit, but seems to be working as I type. I guess it's rebuilding a new db (its taking its time - only 15% done).

I figured all the issues stemmed from the corrupt db

I've been lucky with my own glo and haven't had to face this.

Much appreciated.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Thx David,

Took me a while to find that sign out bit, but seems to be working as I type. I guess it's rebuilding a new db (its taking its time - only 15% done).
For different reasons, I've done this a couple of times in the last few weeks. It's at least an hour to load the 1200 sideload books I have on it. The one thing I like about doing a factory reset is it forces me to do a cleanup of the books on the device.
Quote:
I figured all the issues stemmed from the corrupt db
Yes. But, I suspect the database has been corrupt for a while. The device can run for a while with a corrupt database. Most of the work is done using the in-memory data structures and failures to write to the database don't affect that. It's only when it has to reload from the database that it has problems. That happens after a restart of the device.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Thx for the further insight. Helps me to know more about the device.

I have it back up and running now, but the original book problem still seems to be present - that is - the book cycles through the first couple of pages then drops back out to the home screen. Seems to do it at the first white space between paragraphs.

The same book doesn't do that on my Glo. I'll have to do some more investigation.

Also, when it first came up from the sign in, the text settings wouldn't change. I had to do a pin-hole reset and then they seem to be working again. Very odd.
Advert
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Thx for the further insight. Helps me to know more about the device.

I have it back up and running now, but the original book problem still seems to be present - that is - the book cycles through the first couple of pages then drops back out to the home screen. Seems to do it at the first white space between paragraphs.

The same book doesn't do that on my Glo. I'll have to do some more investigation.
If it still happens, that's a bit stranger. Are you sure that both devices have the same version of the book? Deleting the book and resending it might solve the problem.
Quote:
Also, when it first came up from the sign in, the text settings wouldn't change. I had to do a pin-hole reset and then they seem to be working again. Very odd.
Did it hang or did you do use the pinhole rather than powering off and on again?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If it still happens, that's a bit stranger. Are you sure that both devices have the same version of the book? Deleting the book and resending it might solve the problem.
Both devices had the same book. Later, I sent the original book to the device and it seemed to work. So I'll re-tweak the book and try again. We only have one calibre library setup, so the books are the same between devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did it hang or did you do use the pinhole rather than powering off and on again?
Didn't seem to hang. Just that if I changed the size of the text, nothing happened. After a pin-hole reset it seemed to be working again. Next time I'll try a power down and back up.

Thx again for the help.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Edit: I've just added the modded book and it seems to now be working. Sometimes, things obviously just act weird!