Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I've only had mine a little more than a week now, but I haven't had to recharge yet. I haven't spent a ton of time reading on it yet though, so time will tell. So far the battery itself seems fine, the meter was mainly wonky when charging. I'm not sure how it will play out. Right now the battery life seems really good actually, in some ways I'm wondering if it's going to suddenly drop down a lot. I'll keep you posted.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #32
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
The last time I charged my H2O was 10 October. Since then, according to Reading Stats I have read 60 hours. During these 60 hours I have intermittently used the light, at no more than 30%. I have not used WiFi or done any syncs on the device. I have my the unit set to automatically go to sleep after 30 minutes, and automatically power off after 60 minutes. My battery is at 54%. Either have a wacky meter or I got a super exceptionally good H2O!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #33
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
That's some pretty good mileage! Now try using wifi.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #34
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
That's some pretty good mileage! Now try using wifi.
I have no need to turn WiFi on as I don't buy any books from Kobo, and I don't do OTA firmware updates.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #35
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I have no need to turn WiFi on as I don't buy any books from Kobo, and I don't do OTA firmware updates.
Well, no wonder you have such awesome battery stats. As I was saying, I can lose 15% of my battery power in just one sync.

I like your having the H2O turn off after an hour. I just did the same. That ought to save some juice. Thanks.

[edit]

After all, there's no reason for my H2O to be on for eight hours while I'm sleeping...
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #36
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
I like your having the H2O turn off after an hour. I just did the same. That ought to save some juice. Thanks.

[edit]

After all, there's no reason for my H2O to be on for eight hours while I'm sleeping...
I do believe this is the reason for the stellar battery life. On my Aura HD, I would never power off, and I would see 3-5% battery drains between reading sessions (sometimes it would be days or a week or 2 in between). I haven't seen this at all since I turned on the "Power Off" feature.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #37
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
I do believe this is the reason for the stellar battery life. On my Aura HD, I would never power off, and I would see 3-5% battery drains between reading sessions (sometimes it would be days or a week or 2 in between). I haven't seen this at all since I turned on the "Power Off" feature.
That's really good to hear. My battery experiment isn't really controlled very well (since I just changed this important variable in the middle of it), but I'm eager to see what happens now when I hit 0% and recharge to 100% (in a week or so?).

Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That's really good to hear. My battery experiment isn't really controlled very well (since I just changed this important variable in the middle of it), but I'm eager to see what happens now when I hit 0% and recharge to 100% (in a week or so?).
You might also want to check the automatic sync is turned off under Syncing and Updates in Settings. Your Kobo will wake up and try to sync during the night using the default settings.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #39
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:

Thanks again.
Here's hoping for the same results I have had with my H2O!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #40
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I seem to recall an issue that Kobo introduced some firmwares back that caused the device (touch/glo Series) to forget it had an sd card installed when powered off and back on. The boot time was slower then it is now so, and that particular firmware adaptation has been corrected. Now the boot time is faster on the h20 and the firmware works pretty good as well. So definitely turning it off would not be the pain in the ass it was before.

regards

Pete
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #41
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I seem to recall an issue that Kobo introduced some firmwares back that caused the device (touch/glo Series) to forget it had an sd card installed when powered off and back on. The boot time was slower then it is now so, and that particular firmware adaptation has been corrected. Now the boot time is faster on the h20 and the firmware works pretty good as well. So definitely turning it off would not be the pain in the ass it was before.

regards

Pete
Hmm! I'm getting the "Reformat your SD card as FAT32" error on power-up (just started last night). Nor would I say my boot time is very fast.

I wonder... 93terp, are you using an SD card at all?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #42
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
I wonder... 93terp, are you using an SD card at all?
No, I'm not. I have everything loaded on the internal SD memory.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #43
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
No, I'm not. I have everything loaded on the internal SD memory.

rwhe
Old 11-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #44
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Thought my kobo h2o battery was doing great. Had no had to charge it yet, it had around 50‰ it off box. The other day I still had 23% came to use it a few days later to be told I had to connect the power.!
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #45
rwhe
Hierodule

From an old thread:

"I've heard someone mention elsewhere on this forum that if you have an SD card installed the charge doesn't last as long since each time you start your KT from power-off mode it goes to check through the SD card using some power. Also understandably, the more files you have on the card the more power it consumes each time."