Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I have a book I bought at Sony that was kepub only when it transferred to Kobo. The books are different - the epub has the chapter headings as a clickable link and has the font specified as serif. The font size is also bigger in Calibre's viewer for the kepub.

So the books are different and there may be other differences in other books. If I don't know what they might change in a book I'd prefer to have the original.
I've noticed something else. When you have a DRM free kepub and you view it in ADE 2 it looks one way and after you use Modify ePub to strip the kepub junk, it then looks another way. Both of these differences are still different then the way the original ePub looks in ADE 2.

So what we've found is that the kepub process is changing the CSS/XML enough to change the original formatting. This is unacceptable. I use the original crappy formatting to see how to fix the formatting. With it changed, it's not as easy to know what's what. For example, if section breaks have only a 1em space, after the kepub process, it might not have these section breaks any longer.

So whoever thinks it's OK to get a kepub from Kobo (instead of the original ePub) because we can strip the DRM and strip the kepub additions is wrong. We cannot fix what's been changed in the CSS/XML to make the formatting different.

So please, let's all tell Kobo to stop frigging making the ePub we want to buy into kepub. If we want kepub, we'll download with Kobo Desktop and get kepub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #92
BookAdmin
Enthusiast
BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I didn't thought about that... Yes, it's like you're prisoner to your present e-reader manufacturer, I understand now.
BookAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #93
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I buy from Amazon, I know what I'm getting. If I buy from B&N, I know what I'm getting. If I buy from eBooks.com I know what I'm getting. If I buy from Kobo, it's a crap shoot in some cases.
This may have been mentioned, but if you put a book in your library before you buy it, it should tell you the format (in the library). I don't know if this applies to your particular case, though. I've been using this method ever since I ended up with a PDF instead of the desired epub. (They refunded me.)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #94
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I have a book I bought at Sony that was kepub only when it transferred to Kobo. The books are different - the epub has the chapter headings as a clickable link and has the font specified as serif. The font size is also bigger in Calibre's viewer for the kepub.
This is only speculation because I don't have enough facts, but I do wonder if automated kobo-ising of css styles may be to do with trying to ensure (maybe badly) that the Kobo device font controls and sliders will work.

For instance, I always remove all occurrences of hard-coded font-family: serif in my standard epubs because leaving them in will stop the Kobo font selection control working (except for one specific scenario). Whether it causes the same problem in a kepub I don't know. I can imagine it would also be desirable to change font-sizes set in non-scaleable units such as pixels.

Speaking for myself, I also would prefer to do any/all css-customising myself but I'm not the one fielding complaints on Kobo's helpdesk about device features not working as advertised
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #95
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you use calibre, this might be an easier option:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...es-wont-allow/
Thanks Nate, I see you've updated the plugin, and that Rosie's reply identifies the changes.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #96
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thanks Nate, I see you've updated the plugin, and that Rosie's reply identifies the changes.
Version update ...
Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #97
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
The link on Nate's page is pointing to the old 3.03 version, you will have to edit the link to use the correct 3.0.7 file name (and change the directory to 10 rather than 09 if you want the new version).

Edit: basically change the link to match the text of the link on his page and you will get 3.0.7 otherwise you get 3.0.3

Last edited by jiminrussell; 10-15-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: additional info
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 AM   #98
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Version update ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
The link on Nate's page is pointing to the old 3.03 version, you will have to edit the link to use the correct 3.0.7 file name (and change the directory to 10 rather than 09 if you want the new version).

Edit: basically change the link to match the text of the link on his page and you will get 3.0.7 otherwise you get 3.0.3
Thanks for pointing this out. Nate's been notified that the link is wrong. (It's in fact showing v3.0.3)

EDIT
fixed - working as expected

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 10-16-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #99
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

now that Kobo's finally put back in the format info I checked on the Scalzi 'Lock In' book and it's showing as an epub2 DRM format.

See attached pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scalzi.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	131383  
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #100
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
now that Kobo's finally put back in the format info I checked on the Scalzi 'Lock In' book and it's showing as an epub2 DRM format.

See attached pic
That's the UK edition published by Gollancz. The US edition published by Tor shows no download option.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #101
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That's the UK edition published by Gollancz. The US edition published by Tor shows no download option.
Ah okay, I was viewing from my Aus account.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #102
Eric Carroll
Eric Carroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7
Found another example: War Dogs by Greg Bear.
Eric Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post
Found another example: War Dogs by Greg Bear.
Chances are it's an ePub 3 so Kobo has converted it to kepub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote