Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #151
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
Here you go...taken with an iPad so not the greatest quality but you can see the size difference. I am finding I really like the size...I love my Aura HD but this new Aura is going to be the traveling Kobo!
Thank you!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #152
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Am I missing something? I don't even see the option of ordering the Aura on their website. I see the Aura HD but not the Aura.
The option was there about a week or so ago, but it seems that shortly after they sold out (which happened after a couple days or so) the option to purchase was removed. The question is, was the option removed due to lack of new stock availability for a time or due to some of the problems that have been reported with quality control? Either way, I'm sure once things get sorted out it will be made available again, just as the HD is again available.
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #153
dilysb
dilysb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300; Imagin IMEB5
I bought my Aura in WHS so had no problems. But ordered my Kobo Simple Touch from Blackwell's earlier this year and it was fine.
dilysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #154
Irvinglord
Irvinglord began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
It's arrived! No tracking notification / number ever received but my spanking new Kobo Aura turned up today (in the UK) via FedEx! So, the full history is: ordered Sep 4, invoiced Sep 12, CC charge appeared on statement Sep 14, Aura arrived Sep 23.
Irvinglord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #155
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
My Aura was delivered today, as well.

The outside box looked like it was used as a seat for an elephant during the trip from Hong Kong, but the Kobo box and contents appeared undamaged. The battery was partially charged.

Logged into the Kobo site, after registering the Aura with the same info I used for my Touch. Downloaded an update (2.9.0, dated 9/15/13). The Zip file disappeared before I could make an archive copy.

Screen is acceptable. Only one tiny, somewhat bright spot, about 1.5 mm from the top, right side, near the dark horizontal band that appears near the top. The spot is visible with both a "white" background, and a "black" background. The "bright line" as seen / complained of by other posters, is not very obtrusive, and does not detract from the reading experience.

Noted several dark, hair-like artifacts when reading a book, but they were caused by the photography process used in the book, rather than by the screen itself.

The Aura is the same width as my Touch, but about 1 cm shorter.
The Aura is definitely thinner and lighter than the Touch.
With the light OFF, the reflectivity of the Aura's screen is noticeably less than that of the Touch. To make the two screens' contrast / readability about the same, I had to turn the Aura's light ON ... a pretty close match occurred when the light was set to 11% (this will vary, depending on the ambient illumination).

I tried to compare screen glare, using a (slightly diffused) incandescent bulb as the glare source. The glare areas were fairly equal, and the brightness of the glare spot was slightly less as reflected from the Touch, than as reflected from the Aura. Very little difference.

I then moved my external memory chip from the Touch to the Aura, to see how long it would take to process the content. Subjectively, processing was noticeably faster on the Aura.

Took the Aura outside, in bright, direct Texas sunshine, and could indeed see a random, fiber-like pattern in the top few inches of the screen. This pattern was not visible in indirect sunshine, or when indoors, under various lighting conditions. It did not appear near the bottom of the screen at any time.

Another observation ... the "search" function (when looking for book titles or authors included in the Kobo's local / memory library) is MUCH faster on the Aura, than on the Touch.

Conclusion:
I am not disappointed with the purchase.
The front light is quite decent ... a LOT better than using an external light source when trying to read in bed / at night.

Update:
Sufferered a hard crash when exchanging external memory chips.
Pinhole reset did not work. Had to use the method described by Taming, here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215698

After updating, etc etc, all seems well, so far, with the external chip installed.

Last edited by TheBard; 09-23-2013 at 03:14 PM.
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #156
Haldir
Haldir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Aura HD
Mine showed up today as well, even though I canceled my order and I obviously never received a tracking number. Only thing I can complain about (so far) is that the display is not 100% fitted and I see a bit of light leakage between the exterior case and the display
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #157
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Okay, so for all of you that ordered from Kobo. I know that sometimes you didn-t get a tracking number or maybe it took ages to get it. But for those that got a Canada Post tracking number...How many digits was it? I got an eight digit tracking numbere which Canada Post says is in the wrong format...
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #158
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
But for those that got a Canada Post tracking number...How many digits was it? I got an eight digit tracking numbere which Canada Post says is in the wrong format...
The tracking # for my Aura HD was two letters followed by nine digits followed by two more letters.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #159
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The tracking # for my Aura HD was two letters followed by nine digits followed by two more letters.
Yep, that sounds about right...
Argh, I hope something comes of this...
Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #160
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Okay, so for all of you that ordered from Kobo. I know that sometimes you didn-t get a tracking number or maybe it took ages to get it. But for those that got a Canada Post tracking number...How many digits was it? I got an eight digit tracking numbere which Canada Post says is in the wrong format...
Does it specifically say it's a Canada Post tracking number? Only reason I ask is that some were being shipped from Hong Kong (I think) and were coming via courier rather than Canada Post.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #161
Nightyume
Addict

Yep, it said Canadapost (sic)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #162
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Oh good I am not the only slightly annoyed person with the bad tracking number. I ordered mine the 2nd shipped allegedly yesterday via Canada post. My life is topsy turvey right now so knowing when my toy is due would be nice.
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #163
Nightyume
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetgeek2010 View Post
Oh good I am not the only slightly annoyed person with the bad tracking number. I ordered mine the 2nd shipped allegedly yesterday via Canada post. My life is topsy turvey right now so knowing when my toy is due would be nice.
You should complain about the bad tracking number. The more they complain the more likely they are to fixing whatever it is that's causing it so future customers can avoid that hassle (well, hopefully they find it within their abilities to fix it).

See, that makes no sense, I ordered mine Sunday night (i.e. before you) and yet it "supposedly" shipped today (after yours). On the bright side I was actually charged Wednesday I think so if the elves are doing their job it means it shipped then.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #164
Nightyume
Addict

Okay, today I got a response.
The original tracking number they gave me was 80009341.
The new and (hopefully) correct number is CX505636693XX.
They are the only similarity 'tween the two is the second digit which tells me this was a case of negligence or incompetence, not a typo or key strokes not registering.

I changed the last two letters to XX to avoid any potential conflicts with forum guidelines regarding "personal information" (despite a quick read not turning up any conflicts and the fact that the tracking pages only give you city location, not my name nor address...)

Last edited by Nightyume; 10-08-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #165
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Can anyone tell me if you had any special tricks to being able to order a Kobo reader from their website? I have tried several times with two different Visa cards, the site keeps declining me and I know for a fact both cards are good. I am in the USA if it makes a difference. I tried their Customer Support chat and she recommended that I store my CC information on the website. That didn't even make any sense, why would it ask me my CC info if it needed it stored someplace else?
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote