Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Problems with Italics

I'm having a problem converting one particular ebook. It's originally in epub, but I'm converting it to lrf, which my old Sony prefers, and I prefer.

I went through the conversion as normal, then viewed the results. All the text was in italics. Everything. I've checked a paper version and know that this isn't how it should be.

How do I get Calibre to change it from italic to regular font?

This is the only book I've had this particular problem with.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm having a problem converting one particular ebook. It's originally in epub, but I'm converting it to lrf, which my old Sony prefers, and I prefer.
While you may prefer LRF, your 505 actually doesn't. It prefers ePub. I've had a 505 and ePub is just better.

As for the italics problem, I can't say for sure, but try loading each text file into Notepad++ and checking the encoding. You want to convert to UTF-8 without BOM. I've seen some odd things happen when some of the files are in an incorrect coding.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-31-2012 at 01:51 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might also consider running your epub through FlightCrew. It is possible there is a coding error which is ignored by the reader which is not ignored by calibre.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Is the font in italic in the epub?

If so the easiest way is to use the tweak epub function.
Hit T for tweak.
Explode epub.
edit stylesheet in notepad or whatever.
change all occurrences of italic to normal and save
preview epub to see if it is okay
and save
takes 2 minutes

Then make sure you don't have an original_epub file as calibre will use that(remove if there is one) and convert to lrf.

Converting to lrf will easily let you embed fonts BTW.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Helen, as your suggestion seemed the least technical and the epub does have the same problem, I tried your suggestion. It took me a while to find the Tweak function until I tried just pressing T on the keyboard (silly me) . When I exploded the epub it contained lots of "pickle" files which windows couldn't open. So I forced windows to open them with notepad. But there was hardly anything in there, just something that looked like a Euro sign and I think there was an equals sign. As I didn't know what to do, I left them alone.

I googled pickle file extension but didn't find much, just some stuff about python, whatever that is. I'm really not very good at the technical aspects of computing.

How do I embed a regular font? (Simple replies please!)

Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First the file to open with notepad for the tweak is the css file. Either stylesheet.css or stylesheet1.css
in notepad:
you select replace in the edit menu
type italic in top box
type normal in second box
hit replace all button
then save the css file

in calibre:
click preview epub
if it looks ok click rebuild epub

changing the font will not remove the italics unless you use a font with no italics.

But to do it
select book
select convert
on the side bar click lrf output
then you will see three boxes with dropdown lists to replace the font.

Helen
Old 04-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Helen, as your suggestion seemed the least technical and the epub does have the same problem, I tried your suggestion. It took me a while to find the Tweak function until I tried just pressing T on the keyboard (silly me) . When I exploded the epub it contained lots of "pickle" files which windows couldn't open. So I forced windows to open them with notepad. But there was hardly anything in there, just something that looked like a Euro sign and I think there was an equals sign. As I didn't know what to do, I left them alone.

I googled pickle file extension but didn't find much, just some stuff about python, whatever that is. I'm really not very good at the technical aspects of computing.

How do I embed a regular font? (Simple replies please!)

Pickle files do not belong in a EPUB.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard

Perhaps simpler just convert file to rtf or txt and change font .
You can lose toc or other formatting but at least you can get rid of those nasty italics
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Thank you. Converting it to rtf worked!

I'm not very good at using Calibre, but I know how to use Word. I'm keeping it in rtf, formatted for the reader, because I prefer this to lrf, providing there are no pics invoved.

Thanks for the suggestion Helen.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard

Practically no-one starts out being good with calibre, but eventually most of us are lost without it Hang in there it is worth it.

Helen

Tags
calibre, converting, italics