Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Scott Sigler - Infected $.99 [SF] (US) (Kindle/Nook/Sony/Kobo)

**US only.**

FWI, this is the first book in a trilogy. The second book is Contagious. The third book, Pandemic, is not out yet and probably won't be until next year. You might want to grab this while it's at this price but not read it yet.

Quote:
Product Description
Across America a mysterious disease is turning ordinary people into raving, paranoid murderers who inflict brutal horrors on strangers, themselves, and even their own families.

Working under the government’s shroud of secrecy, CIA operative Dew Phillips crisscrosses the country trying in vain to capture a live victim. With only decomposing corpses for clues, CDC epidemiologist Margaret Montoya races to analyze the science behind this deadly contagion. She discovers that these killers all have one thing in common – they’ve been contaminated by a bioengineered parasite, shaped by a complexity far beyond the limits of known science.

Meanwhile Perry Dawsey – a hulking former football star now resigned to life as a cubicle-bound desk jockey – awakens one morning to find several mysterious welts growing on his body. Soon Perry finds himself acting and thinking strangely, hearing voices . . . he is infected.

The fate of the human race may well depend on the bloody war Perry must wage with his own body, because the parasites want something from him, something that goes beyond mere murder.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cd_asin_lnk

Last edited by NightBird; 06-09-2011 at 09:41 PM.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
FWIW, I read the entire series.

Pretty OK overall, though I found some of the writing/situations/dialog a bit off at certain points.

Still, fine beach/guilty pleasure reading and for sure, worth the price of admission above.

note: Some fairly graphic/gross out passages - the more squeamish have been forewarned.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I read the first book Infected last year. It was a quick read and not bad. I remember becoming frustrated while reading it but forgot why. I'd give it a C+ which isn't enough for me to read the rest of the series.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ the series actually got a bit better in books 2 and 3. Maybe check it out?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What book 3 are you talking about? Pandemic is book 3 and hasn't even been written yet.
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Hmm, i could swear i read the trilogy, several months back...

brb while i check..clearly I may be wrong, but then what was I thinking of? For sure, I did read Sigler and I did read Infected...

EDIT: Of course you are correct! My mistake.

I read books 1 and 2 and then also Sigler's separate novel Ancestor - pretty much one after the other.

<embarassed, but thanks for the catch>

Last edited by lestatar; 06-09-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
I read books 1 and 2 and then also Sigler's separate novel Ancestor - pretty much one after the other
LOL. That's what I figured. Don't feel bad - I had to edit the names twice. I question my sanity much of the time.

I haven't read that one, yet. Still waiting for the price to come down.

Last edited by NightBird; 06-09-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Still
That'll teach me - I tend to rip through books like these...
Old 06-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Anyone know if this will be available in the UK store at this price?
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
scottsigler
NYT bestselling author
scottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterscottsigler can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPhone
Thanks for posting that! Yeah, I don't know how long this 99-cent price will be up. I hope everyone grabs INFECTED and enjoys the read.
scottsigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
$.99 also at B&N, Kobo and Sony

Last edited by Little_bear; 06-09-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Awesome! This is another one outside my usual genres that caught my eye. For this price no way am I going to miss it.

I think this is the first bargain offered by Random House since they went over to the dark side, hope the "experiment" goes well.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Hum, this seem a really good book, very interesting but I think the promoting isn't available to me, is this USA only?

In the books page next to the version it does say $0.99 but above it says $13.43, it's a shame :/

I have almost a pledge to myself to not buy eBooks above $10 and even above $5 it has to be really good, because I think digital version of the book shouldn't cost the same or even sometimes more than the paperback, it doesn't even bring costs in printing and delivering so I can't understand the high prices. I do know this is the publishers fault, it almost seems they are doing on purpose to sell paper books instead of digital ones.

That's what I like about Indie authors or authors that sell only digital books because they do understand the marketing on eBooks and to price accordingly, besides writing really original fiction a good portion of times.

Sorry for the rant I guess I just had to let it out of my chest.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
BTW I'm not saying the Author work isn't worth $13.43, but it's just because it's a digital version versus paperback.

Should be made a law to standard eBook price as a maximum percentage of the print version, like 70% or something, so a $10 paperbook being a $7 eBook seems fair to me, not certainly to the publishers tho.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
NightBird
Wizard

I put (US) in the title but the title was edited by a moderator and apparently inadvertently left out. I have asked them to replace it.