Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Wired needs to be taken to task for this. What's funny is that over on the right side of these screens is a link to a Wired article titled "Faked Screenshots Show Google Chrome Frenzy". How about an article titled "Faked Screenshots Show Wired in the Pocket of Amazon"?
Ohhhhh, the Irony!!!

I would post comments on the review threads but don't feel like signing up for yet another bulletin board membership. Readers should be told that they are doing this.

I suspect it is an "ease of photography" image but if that is the case, they should add some disclaimer that images may not be of the actual and for illustrative purposes only or some such thing.

As I said, it casts doubt into the quality or integrity associated with any of their reviews.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
Interesting that RobertB hasn't yet commented in this thread......
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
If I wasn't mistaken (the webpage froze up for me), the Iliad also is shooped.

lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
How about an article titled "Faked Screenshots Show Wired in the Pocket of Amazon"?
Don't see how it shows that -- in that case, wouldn't they want to make the other devices have screens that looked worse than the Kindle, rather than identical?

Seems like a very bad case of laziness, and Wired should rightly be called out on this shoddy work.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
Never attribute to maliciousness what can easily be explained by stupidity. I would vote on the laziness factor. Wired lost me years ago for their editorial incompetence which bordered on arrogance.
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I'm not so sure I buy the laziness excuse, since it takes more effort to put the Kindle screen image onto the pictures of the other readers. But I also agree that it's not necessarily malicious. It's likely just some poorly conceived workflow where they have a stock "ebook reader" screenshot that gets used on everything, similar to how flyers/catalogs always have the same image on laptop/computer screens or TV sets.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #22
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm guessing that ereaders with their glass screens have a tendency to produce glare when photographed and this results in lousy photos, which is why they may be Photoshopping the screens. So I too think Wired was being lazy and not maliciousness, and I think it's funny.

As a side note, when the Kindle first came out I remember looking at some of the images on Amazon's website and thinking that Amazon was Photoshopping the contrast a little. Now wouldn't it be ironic if Wired is Photoshopping a Photoshopped photo.

Last edited by Daithi; 07-09-2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: I knows knot how tu uze gramar
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #23
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

What I don't understand, though, is if they are having a hard time getting a decent picture of the screen for whatever reason -- glare etc... why not just use the stock photo from the vendor. For example, what was wrong with the picture of the EZReader that was posted on Page 1? I'm sure Sony has plenty of images of the 700 that could be used. And why do it for some (like the Sony, the Iliad, and the EZReader) but not the Cool-er?

I don't think it is malicious. However, as someone pointed out, if I were Amazon, I would be none-too-happy that every eReader screen out there is being made to look like the Kindle.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
This reminds me of the Okami - IGN artwork fiasco (see here: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/20/uh...rtently-adver/)

Although, that was printed on many boxes and distributed worldwide. This image is just something on a website that can be changed easily. But still
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #25
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I do not know what to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrburton View Post
Interesting that RobertB hasn't yet commented in this thread......
Dear All:

I have no idea what wired did. They ARE presently doing a review but we sent them a stock EZ Reader. I have to look into this more before I can comment; but I am completely at a loss here.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #26
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
The photos seem to have been edited now... they show a blank screen on the wired page.
http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_astak_ez_reader

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 07-10-2009 at 04:46 AM.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #27
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Not at all pleased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

I have no idea what wired did. They ARE presently doing a review but we sent them a stock EZ Reader. I have to look into this more before I can comment; but I am completely at a loss here.
Yes, the photo is doctored and I have no reasin why. They HAD a real EZ Reader for the review. The EZ Reader has incredibly sharp and highly resolute picture and needs no doctoring.

We do know that WIRED is doing a second review now of the EZ Reader after I went on a tirade telling them that lack of WIRELESS is NOT a defect; and they had many misconceptions in their first review. They agreed with me and a new reviewer is now doing a story.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
The photo's seem to have been edited now... they show a blank screen on the wired page.
http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_astak_ez_reader
Looks like they have also changed the Sony screen as well. Someone must have tipped them off as to their "mistake"...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #29
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Yes, the photo is doctored and I have no reasin why. They HAD a real EZ Reader for the review. The EZ Reader has incredibly sharp and highly resolute picture and needs no doctoring.

We do know that WIRED is doing a second review now of the EZ Reader after I went on a tirade telling them that lack of WIRELESS is NOT a defect; and they had many misconceptions in their first review. They agreed with me and a new reviewer is now doing a story.
That's good to hear. To me Whispernet is a defect.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
RobertB, this just hasn't been your week. But on the sunny side, next week is surely going to be better!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote