Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
illusionistnow
illusionistnow began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Aura H2O International Shipping to Asia?

Hey all; I'm currently living in Malaysia which is dominated by Amazon Kindles everywhere I look. So I've been looking for international vendors for Kobo that ship to Malaysia but I could not one viable one. There are local Malaysian vendors who sell for almost RM900 (USD 260) which is extreme stupid. So eventually I found Swindon Books in Hong Kong; they are retailing for USD200 plus shipping.

So do you think I should go for this? also if anyone knows any retailer who ship to Asia with reasonable rates let me know. (GoodEreader shop sells for 300 something US dollars!!)
illusionistnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Is the H20 available on Amazon US? Maybe that's the best way to get it.

It hasn't come to Aus yet at all.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I had mine delivered to a forwarder in the US then forwarded to me. Maybe you can use a forwarding service like shipito?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
illusionistnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I had mine delivered to a forwarder in the US then forwarded to me. Maybe you can use a forwarding service like shipito?
Which retailer did you use? Is shipito any good for Asian customers?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I ordered mine from Chapters-Indigo in Canada. It arrived in Australia in exactly 1 week! Though they will estimate it will take many weeks (in my case something like 11 January) this extraordinarily short delivery time seems to be pretty common for Australia, judging by a thread on our Whirlpool forums. I don't know about Malaysia. Of course, what you would have to do is be prepared to accept the slow delivery estimated whilst hoping for the much faster delivery. I have not dealt with Swindon books and don't know anything about their prices or delivery practices.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
illusionistnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Is the H20 available on Amazon US? Maybe that's the best way to get it.

It hasn't come to Aus yet at all.
Yeah I look, doesn't seem so. I looked into Australian retailers, they are releasing Kobo officially in January 26/27th. So that's a pretty long wait for me.

The Hong Kong shop replied to me today; they fedex the package and it arrives in 4/6 days. Which is great for me; but i'm confused if I should just get it. I'd rather not wait 2 months when it comes out in Australia for 20 dollars markup.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
illusionistnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I ordered mine from Chapters-Indigo in Canada. It arrived in Australia in exactly 1 week! Though they will estimate it will take many weeks (in my case something like 11 January) this extraordinarily short delivery time seems to be pretty common for Australia, judging by a thread on our Whirlpool forums. I don't know about Malaysia. Of course, what you would have to do is be prepared to accept the slow delivery estimated whilst hoping for the much faster delivery. I have not dealt with Swindon books and don't know anything about their prices or delivery practices.
Mate turns out Indigo are just to specific countries which does not include any South East Asian countries which is kinda horrible. I can excuse the long delivery time but why not ship at all if I'm willing to pay for shipping.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I only heard of shipito from the Whirlpool forums as well. I ordered mine from Kobo, but I hear it's cheaper to order from Chapters Indigo (although I've also heard they don't accept returns of defective units, so you'd have to ship it directly back to Kobo if ever).

From Kobo it took about a week to get to the US, then another 2 weeks for the forwarder to deliver to me. The forwarder I use only delivers to my country though, and not to Malaysia. Maybe you can find a similar service in your country.

Update: Check these rates out, although I'm not sure how accurate they are, and if there are other charges as well (membership, etc.). http://www.shipito.com/malaysia

In my case (using a local forwarding service, not shipito), the H2O was about 2 lbs (rounded up from around 1.5 lbs) and I was charged around $20 for shipping.

Last edited by xtine; 12-01-2014 at 09:13 PM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How much did you get charged for the postage from Chapters Indigo?

And how much for the device?

It's scandalous that they want $50 more for it here in Aus.

And how bizarre to release it on Aus Day!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionistnow View Post
Mate turns out Indigo are just to specific countries which does not include any South East Asian countries which is kinda horrible. I can excuse the long delivery time but why not ship at all if I'm willing to pay for shipping.
Sorry to hear that. It is ridiculous.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
How much did you get charged for the postage from Chapters Indigo?

And how much for the device?

It's scandalous that they want $50 more for it here in Aus.

And how bizarre to release it on Aus Day!!!
In Canadian Dollars it cost me:

$179.99 for the H2O
$39.99 for a sleep cover and shipping.
$36.39 for shipping and handling, a total of $256.37.

Total cost in Australian Dollars all up was $268.81 including Sleep Cover.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionistnow View Post
Yeah I look, doesn't seem so. I looked into Australian retailers, they are releasing Kobo officially in January 26/27th. So that's a pretty long wait for me.
Hopefully by then they'll have worked out the initial quality issues...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
In Canadian Dollars it cost me:

$179.99 for the H2O
$39.99 for a sleep cover and shipping.
$36.39 for shipping and handling, a total of $256.37.

Total cost in Australian Dollars all up was $268.81 including Sleep Cover.
Thanks Darryl.