Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
No wifi=no books access??

I was reading a kobo-purchased book today at a location where i had no wifi. I got to the end of thc chapter, and it did not change pages. Instead, it hung, and i got some error message telling me to do a reset (which i did not yet do). Then, when i went to my library, only my side-loaded books showed up. I am running 1.9.9 (July 28, 2011).

What the heck? do i really need wifi access to read a kobo-bought book? ("Losers", by Michael Lewis)

Thanks!
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No, of course not. You have a problem, but it has nothing to do with WiFi. If you have been transferring/sideloading your books to the Kobo and either not getting a true eject after doing it or not having the reader process new content, you may have a storage error now. Do the factory reset.

Some folks report that this is an issue that occurs only if you have applications open that have their own eject options and you eject with them still in play.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Taming, thanks. I've only been reading kobo books lately. no apps in use; except calibre, but i always eject. the kobo books all disappeared. I'm sure that once i get wifi at home, and sync, they will reappear. i hope!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Ok, all my kobo books showed up. But why would it not let me advance chapters with no wi fi access??
Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
r3saucier
r3saucier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
That's a jump in logic, just because you didn't have wifi at the time does not mean it was the cause of the problem. I'm sure it's something else.
r3saucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
strangely, lately I've been getting this problem with Kobo purchased books only.
Sideloaded books work fine.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Yup, I just randomly got it too. haven't read much for kobo's books. But today i randomly decided to read one that came preloaded on my Wifi. I tried opening the book and my wifi told me "this book cannot be opened, please sync with kobo and try again".

pretty much imposssible while sitting on the train. I moved on to a sideloaded epub instead. issues with kobobooks drm and such make me very skeptical of ever buying from them
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just wondering Lordvic if you have ever done anything like a database restore on your WiFi? I seem to recall that some changes did happen in one of the WiFi upgrades to the format of the free boks; that they went from being stored in the database, to being individual files on the unit.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
beats me. i haven't bothered a sync of my library through the kobo app or on Wifi since i got it. The 170 or so books generally haven't interested me, and most of my material is all sideloaded.

I guess i should try a sync and see if they work
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote