Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
swan36doe
swan36doe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard B008
Is it safe to delete /usr/share/nuance/data?

Now that I've got root access to my kindle 3, I'd like to add
some utilities--but I've got a space problem. Removing some
of the bigger programs in /usr/bin has helped, but 36% of my
available space is occupied by the different "*.dat" files in
/usr/share/nuance/data: the biggest one is
"synth_samantha_full_155mrf22_270_06.dat".

Is it safe to delete those files? What are they?
swan36doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan36doe View Post
Now that I've got root access to my kindle 3, I'd like to add
some utilities--but I've got a space problem. Removing some
of the bigger programs in /usr/bin has helped, but 36% of my
available space is occupied by the different "*.dat" files in
/usr/share/nuance/data: the biggest one is
"synth_samantha_full_155mrf22_270_06.dat".

Is it safe to delete those files? What are they?
Add your utilities to sub-directories of /mnt/us (the root of USB Storage).

**do not** modify the system image files!

Last edited by knc1; 02-03-2013 at 05:59 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
They look like the Text to speech partial files.

Leave them be.

Quote:
Removing some
of the bigger programs in /usr/bin has helped
Err... Just one thought.. what? surely when you reboot your kindle it is going to be trashed.

You don't mess around with the root partition unless you really know what you are doing...

do you? I would hate to see you on the de-bricking thread in half an hour...

assuming you don't know what you are doing I would heartily recommend grabbing a 3.x image and get ready to jump into fastboot (grab the tools) in the event you totally kill the device. Best to be prepared and that sound like some pretty radical alterations.

there is a ton of threads (half of mine probably) about running stuff FROM FAT that should by-rights run on ext2. Eureka and others showed how to repartition space if you are extra serious about this.

Space problem? nearly 4 GB? what are you building? open office?

Cheers.

Assuming you DO know what you are doing - good luck! eager to see what you are doing!

EDIT: oh wait... you are thinking you should install stuff the root! That is why you have no space! NAH! run it from FAT.

right? you were thinking that?

Last edited by twobob; 02-03-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: run it from FAT
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
swan36doe
swan36doe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard B008
appreciations for quick replies. Rather than trashing the space hoggers, I transferred
them to the PC (500gb hd): from /usr/bin "browserd" "gdb" "iozone" "sulogin" and "webreader"
from /usr/share/nuance/data all the larger files.

after adding "ed" and "em" (thanks, twobob) and "mplayer" to /usr/local/bin I still have
about 1/3 of /dev/mmcblk0p1 free.

well, thanks again
swan36doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan36doe View Post
appreciations for quick replies. Rather than trashing the space hoggers, I transferred
them to the PC (500gb hd): from /usr/bin "browserd" "gdb" "iozone" "sulogin" and "webreader"
from /usr/share/nuance/data all the larger files.

after adding "ed" and "em" (thanks, twobob) and "mplayer" to /usr/local/bin I still have
about 1/3 of /dev/mmcblk0p1 free.

well, thanks again
Keep in mind:

No one here will help you de-brick or update your device!
It is your choice of customizations, it is your problem to support those customizations.

The members of this site have volunteered 1,000s of hours in determining the 'best practices' to be used when customizing the Kindle devices.
In the future, please do not waste your time and ours asking for advice that you fully intend to ignore. We all (including you) have better things to do with our time and bandwidth.

Am I being clear enough?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert