Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #31
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Exactly. Some people want firmware upgrades almost immediately so as to solve "their" particular issue. When the rushed release fails, those said same people are the first to complain.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #32
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I paid $750 for a new computer and a month later the same manufacturer had a better one for the same price.
Wow! It is a sum of cash!
I always buy parts and put them together. Last was stream server
for under 150 euros. I assume that fine phenom II box could be
made for about 350 euros. Integrated graphic from amd is much
better than anything I ever had on my nodes. I strongly consider
avoiding cd/dvd, since it is simple and fun installing from usb
stick.
Regarding picture of kobo1 with nytimes, I would like to know how
it was transffered to the device.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Regarding picture of kobo1 with nytimes, I would like to know how
it was transffered to the device.
It's safe to say using an internal release of firmware. Remember, JC works for Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's safe to say using an internal release of firmware. Remember, JC works for Kobo.
Yup. He is the director of product management.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #35
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Yeah!
I was curious if it has some interface through computer. Otherwise,
it takes a lot of work on device side. I do not doubt it might take pc
as a proxy, but, knowing manufacturer to this moment, I suspect all
was done inside application, stored there and simply moved to the
reader.
Also, is there any conversion of html/xml code?
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #36
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Yeah!
I was curious if it has some interface through computer. Otherwise,
it takes a lot of work on device side. I do not doubt it might take pc
as a proxy, but, knowing manufacturer to this moment, I suspect all
was done inside application, stored there and simply moved to the
reader.
Also, is there any conversion of html/xml code?
The original kobo has only one way to get anything on the device. The USB connection to the pc. From what I understand the Bluetooth simply syncs bookmarks on a select few blackberries.

I keep thinking about looking at the bluetooth implementation. There should be no reason it can't be used to transfer epubs and possibly newspapers from the host pc. No reason except the existence of a pc component to read the kobo desktop software and possibly hacked firmware on the device.

Calibre could also be extended to push a file over Bluetooth I imagine.

An interesting project for someone...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #37
dspitler
dspitler began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
The original kobo has only one way to get anything on the device. The USB connection to the pc. From what I understand the Bluetooth simply syncs bookmarks on a select few blackberries.

I keep thinking about looking at the bluetooth implementation. There should be no reason it can't be used to transfer epubs and possibly newspapers from the host pc. No reason except the existence of a pc component to read the kobo desktop software and possibly hacked firmware on the device.

Calibre could also be extended to push a file over Bluetooth I imagine.

An interesting project for someone...

Tim
In OS X at least, you can pair with the Kobo and push files to it. The problem is the Kobo only updates its database after it's been unplugged, so you'd have to connect it to USB (power adapter or PC) anyways to see the new books; something I'm sure can be fixed in firmware, if Kobo is willing.
dspitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #38
zoran
himself

Quote:
I have a usb dongle somewhere. Bought and used for one purpose,
to make some job for nokia cell phone. I connected from bsd node
and had no problem at all.

Compiling Calibre for freebsd is not a fun. Since epub is a container,
there is a chance to have a template and simply insert xml code to it.
I might be wrong, of course, regarding that. After name change, it
could be put to the reader. I'm not sure what compabillity it takes. I
was positive it should meet chip, not device. Operating system found
chip as supported and I loaded modules and it used protocol as it is.

At this moment I feel not ready to brick my reader. I could always re-
install from SD card, but why? If manufacturer has beta working, voila.
People on the forum mostly use win, some of them mac, a bunch use
linux, one or two bsd. The first group wants newspapers and gets it.
Spite a bit late, one point for kobo.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually Tim, I was able to move an ePub to the Kobo-1 via Bluetooth from my PC. I just made use of the standard Bluetooth file transfer ability. Now, the book did NOT show up however until I forced the Kobo to do a rescan, which I seem to think I did by plugging it into a USB charger and then disconnecting it.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #40
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Actually Tim, I was able to move an ePub to the Kobo-1 via Bluetooth from my PC. I just made use of the standard Bluetooth file transfer ability. Now, the book did NOT show up however until I forced the Kobo to do a rescan, which I seem to think I did by plugging it into a USB charger and then disconnecting it.
Very cool. I had never bothered to try it. My only bluetooth is a 99 cent jobbie fro hong kong delivery included. It works some of the time so I must take a look at it.

I would think that the should be a way to get the firmware to look for new books after the disconnect from Bluetooth...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #41
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspitler View Post
In OS X at least, you can pair with the Kobo and push files to it. The problem is the Kobo only updates its database after it's been unplugged, so you'd have to connect it to USB (power adapter or PC) anyways to see the new books; something I'm sure can be fixed in firmware, if Kobo is willing.
They wrote a function to trigger that and chose it to be some power
up/down. I'm sure it would be trivial to add one more instance for it
and point menu to the function. Title could be "rescan".
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #42
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
"Soon" is a relative concept. The younger you are, the shorter a time can be and still be called "soon." If you are six and on a road trip, and your parents say that they'll arrive at the destination "soon," it had better be right around the corner. If you're going for ice cream, "soon" would mean "in the next two seconds."

On the other hand, there will "soon" be a major earthquake in Southern California, meaning "sometime in the next thirty years."

Regarding firmware upgrades, "soon" is very hard to pin down. For some people, nothing longer than "the next thirty minutes" is soon enough to be "soon."
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #43
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Dunno about anyone else, but I feel that a bugfix firmware update should have been released immediately to remove the auto-poweroff behaviour of the latest firmware. When I pick up my Kobo, I want to read, not look at it for thirty seconds while it boots.

It'd be nice if it actually turned back on to the page I was reading, too, instead of making me select the book from the menu and wait another few seconds.

Seriously, basic basic basic usability issues have been left to languish for far too long. Release a firmware update that fixes all the simple tiny issues that annoy people. How hard is it to do bugfixes to a stable codebase and keep a separate unstable codebase for major revisions?
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #44
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I have learnt to plan ever so slightly ahead; I often want to read when I am having a coffee; so at home, before I head to the kitchen I hit the power on button, and if I am out, before ordering at Timmies or elsewhere, I hit the power on.

Problem solved!

I sip the coffee and the device is ready for me.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #45
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlcarter View Post
Dunno about anyone else, but I feel that a bugfix firmware update should have been released immediately to remove the auto-poweroff behaviour of the latest firmware. When I pick up my Kobo, I want to read, not look at it for thirty seconds while it boots.
The irony of this is that it was a bugfix to the people that were complaining the battery of their kobo was dying unexpectedly due to them leaving it on all the time. i.e. its not a bug its a feature.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote