Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
sjb
sjb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 600
Travel guides

I'm looking for some recommendations for travel guides that work well on Kindle.
Specifically London and Paris. I usually like Rick Steves guidebooks but reviews for the Kindle edition were not kind. So if anyone has experience with a good Kindle edition guidebook I'd really appreciate hearing about it.
sjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Here are the Kindle versions of the Michelin guides: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss....81_327&fsc=-1
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I used Lonely Planet on the Kindle for New Zealand and Australia. They worked well. The maps were hard to read on the 6 inch screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
I bought the Lonely Planet Philippines edition to read on my Ipod and PC Kindle readers.

They didn't really do a very good job on the conversion, especially on the maps.

Plus, not being able to print out the maps that I need is a real drag.

So it is good that you are asking, and I recommend looking at the reviews.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have a Rick Steves guide on my iPad in the Kindle app. It looks great. Why don't you get the sample and try it?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
sjb

Actually the Amazon reviews have been very helpful. The samples are helpful but of course limited. They don't really give you enough of a sample to see any maps. Well at least not the books I have sampled.

Self-guided tours are a great way to travel especially with a good travel guide in your hands. A well formatted Kindle edition would just make things that much better.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Is there any way to print out a few choice maps from a Kindle Edition travel book?

Nothing high res or high quality. But when I am out and about in a new place, oftentimes I have a tiny paper map folded in my back pocket.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Actually the Amazon reviews have been very helpful. The samples are helpful but of course limited. They don't really give you enough of a sample to see any maps. Well at least not the books I have sampled.

Self-guided tours are a great way to travel especially with a good travel guide in your hands. A well formatted Kindle edition would just make things that much better.
In a few days, we are going walkabout thru central Europe for 2 months. I'll have my iPad but not a single paper guide. I think it will be OK. It will be an experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Is there any way to print out a few choice maps from a Kindle Edition travel book?
Nothing high res or high quality. But when I am out and about in a new place, oftentimes I have a tiny paper map folded in my back pocket.

Travis
Could you open it on K4PC and print screen? Seems like that would work well

Last edited by DixieGal; 08-25-2010 at 10:29 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
sjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
In a few days, we are going walkabout thru central Europe for 2 months. I'll have my iPad but not a single paper guide. I think it will be OK. It will be an experiment.

Could you open it on K4PC and print screen? Seems like that would work well
So you intend not to use any guidebooks. Rather you will be using your IPad to access the net for maps and info?