Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDA Market Falls On May 10, 2005

That's the date of the release of yet another market study on pdas. We've heard that the market is down. Then up. Now May 10th brings news that it's down again according to a study released by IDC. Fifth consecutive quarter of falling sales of pdas. Doom and gloom once again? Somehow I've lost interest.

No doubt the pda market faces challenges like saturation and competition from smart phones. But studies on the pda market are starting to sound like the bickering being carried on about whether or not cell phone radiation emmissions are bad for you.

All right, the pda market is down today. Just be patient. I'm sure some research firm will "surprise" us again by how resilient the market is with a new study about the remarkable growth in pdas!

(Via Information Week)

Last edited by BobR; 05-11-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Grammer
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
All right, the pda market is down today. Just be patient. I'm sure some research firm will "surprise" us again by how resilient the market with a new study about the remarkable growth in pdas!
LOL! In future those "independent" research houses should put down a disclaimer mentioning by whom they were paid this time.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
So it seems, different research firms comes up with very differing conclusions. Sometimes, you think whether these analyst do their homework...

Take this report by Piper Jaffray on ipods. The analyst based his report on Amazon sales ranking, heck, I could do that. And he conclude that Apple is 'improving production efficiency' because now ipods ship same day as when ordered, does it occurs to him, that this might mean suply is now outstripping demand? Maybe ipod still sells, but it does illustrate how lazy some analyst are, and how they are not to be trusted...
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Antoine
Nameless Being

Honestly, if the market is maturing, which it is, then decreasing sales of new devices shouldnt be an issue. Now, if the drop was very severe and not jsut a product of a recession, then I would be worried if I were a PDA maker. One (a consumer) should not even care about that end of things unless you are finding that lack of innovation and/or price wars drive quality of products down the drain.