Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
What is the best application to create PDF fit on a Reader?

I was wondering, what was the best application to create a pdf on my PRS-700 (800x600 screen) so that it fits without having huge white borders or zoom-in/zoom-out. And hopefully can support asian font embedding?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
For the WYSIWYG crowd, OpenOffice Writer has an easy export to pdf function, but comes with the downside of not supporting opentype fonts.

You can use Microsoft Word as well with a plugin for printing to PDF.

Set the document size to 3.47 inches wide and 4.54 inches tall, as per Sony's instructions.

LaTeX is the most effective, but has the highest learning curve.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Set the document size to 3.47 inches wide and 4.54 inches tall, as per Sony's instructions.
Isn't it an awful lot easier to remember "90x120mm"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Maybe for you...

Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For me 9×12cm is easier
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Sure, but that's not what SonyStyle says is the size. According to SonyStyle, it is 3.47" x 4.54" or 88.2 x 115.4mm. They may be wrong about it, but it seems precise, given they actually say to switch to inches in their directions.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
90x120 is easier to remember (and I really don't care if it's off by few mm in one direction or the other), but to use it in Word, I first have to change my measurements to metric, then change them back for other projects.

I wish I could use units-of-my-choice when I'm setting page sizes, without having to change the units for tabs, margins and everything else. I'd do so--if the "change units" feature weren't buried away in a tab cloud in an entirely different dialogue box.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, but that's not what SonyStyle says is the size. According to SonyStyle, it is 3.47" x 4.54" or 88.2 x 115.4mm. They may be wrong about it, but it seems precise, given they actually say to switch to inches in their directions.
I wouldn't care about the 88.2 vs 90, but that 115.4 looks like it's taking into account the status bar that (I think I've heard) is not possible to disable. If that is so, I would use 9×11.5cm.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I wouldn't care about the 88.2 vs 90, but that 115.4 looks like it's taking into account the status bar that (I think I've heard) is not possible to disable. If that is so, I would use 9×11.5cm.
I'll stick with the measurements that Sony provides. I'm not sure why it's so hard to remember, or hard to make a template setting for.

Perhaps Sony's measurements are not exact either, but with them I have the least chance of further text degradation due to resizing. The text quality on the Sony readers is already mediocre enough without shrinking or stretching pdfs.

Considering all the cleanup and fixing that needs to be done to make most pdf books reasonably presentable in the first place, an arbitrary screen size like that is hardly a major inconvenience.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Perhaps Sony's measurements are not exact either, but with them I have the least chance of further text degradation due to resizing. The text quality on the Sony readers is already mediocre enough without shrinking or stretching pdfs.
Text quality in PDFs is not affected by resizing (at least in normal cases). The text can be larger or smaller, but it scales perfectly because it's stored as "vectors", not as pixels (unless the Sony is doing quite a wrong thing by rasterizing and then resizing the rastered image).
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
(unless the Sony is doing quite a wrong thing by rasterizing and then resizing the rastered image).
It doesn't. It handles the vector outlines exactly as it should.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Is this the same size setting for the Sony 505?
Where is this type of information located?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'll stick with the measurements that Sony provides. I'm not sure why it's so hard to remember, or hard to make a template setting for.

Considering all the cleanup and fixing that needs to be done to make most pdf books reasonably presentable in the first place, an arbitrary screen size like that is hardly a major inconvenience.
I wonder if there might be a way to generate PDFs at various sizes in order to "diagnose" at what precise size your PDF remains 100% unresized.

Any ideas, LDBoblo?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

The easiest thing I can think of is to make a page with either a grid or tick marks at 1/8" or 0.5cm intervals. Load that up, measure. Change page size, load that up, measure. Lather rinse, repeat until you zero in on the exact size.

But since the 505 renders text using font outlines, it seems like a moot point to me.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
The easiest thing I can think of is to make a page with either a grid or tick marks at 1/8" or 0.5cm intervals. Load that up, measure. Change page size, load that up, measure. Lather rinse, repeat until you zero in on the exact size.

But since the 505 renders text using font outlines, it seems like a moot point to me.
True, although embedded pictures ought to still benefit from such knowledge.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote