Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: What kind of impact will the iPad have on ebook publishing?
Take over the market 0 0%
Create a new breed of ebook readers to further saturate the current market 1 33.33%
Run Sony and kindle into the ground 0 0%
Force a better version of the ebook readers to hit shelves 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Nicholas Black
Writer/Author
Nicholas Black began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Nicholas Black and "See Jack Die"

My name is Nicholas Black. I'm an author and I've run into some issues figuring out how to convert my ebooks to the appropriate epub format for use on the iPad.

If anyone has any advice, or direction, that would be lovely. Also, I would be more than willing to give out review copies of all of my books if anyone wanted to tinker with them, or just wanted to read something that would haunt them for a long time to come.

Thanks, Nick
www.nickblackbooks.com
nicholasblack60@gmail.com
Nicholas Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to the forum, Nicholas!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Nick & welcome to MR.

Can't help you with the conversion but I am sure someone will be a long shortly.

Check out the Writer's Corner and the subforum for eBook formats. You might find you answer there.

Do you think it's wise to publish your email addy on a public forum? MR members can contact you through pm's.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
Nicholas Black
Writer/Author

I don't mind people having my email. I put it in all my books, on my checks, and tried to tattoo it on my girlfriend's lower back, but she wised up to that pretty quick and punched me in the stomach. I'm not really trying to pimp my books, or sell anything just yet. I really just want my stuff available on the iPad, as I am using it to type this message. I know how easy the thing is to use, and have a feeling that it is going to take over the ebook markets, and be the premier class of ebook sales. Kind of the major leagues, and the other versions will be the minors.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Nicholas and welcome to MobileRead. If you don't get an answer to your question, you might try posting it in the Apple Devices section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=170
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

WHAT - you are not trying to sell us your book? Meeh, I might just buy it anyway. Go ahead, pimp your book - there is even a shameless thread for you to do so.

And no, my back won't be available either
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Nicholas Black
Writer/Author

I've been struggling with the conversion of my ebook to the ipad. I've used Calibre, stanza, Storyist, etc. The problem I'm having is that when i convert to epub files, I lose a lot of textual information such as (all the italics). Also, much of the interior design disappears. I'm just kind of lost, without the technical knowledge to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Nicholas, I am having the same issues with Calibre at the moment. Will keep plugging away at it. You may find some help here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Have you tried using Sigil as step in between? You can convert a document into ePub there - not sure how much of the textual information is retained after that but worth a try.

More on Sigil here.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, epub, ipad, nicholas black