Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The Lovely Bones

I read this book several years ago. It was one of those I had to force myself to finish, and by the end, I loved it. But I have not had the courage to read another book by this author.

Well, now they are making a movie of the book, and it is being advertised as a murder mystery. That was really not the point of the book, from my view. My daughter wants to see the movie. I told her I would not take her unless she read the book, which she refused. I think this is a wonderful chance to show the superiority of the written word over the movie.

What do you think? Or did I just miss the whole point of the book, and it really is just a murder mystery?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I didn't think it was a murder mystery. I just remember it as depressing. As far as I know, she's only written one other book, "Lucky," her memoir published before The Lovely Bones.

I think I'd just let your daughter see the movie, but maybe express that it would be interesting to see the differences if she did read it first.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I tend to agree with you both. I had to make myself keep reading it (my son's girlfriend lent it to me) and I found it depressing also. I had a better opinion of it when I finished reading, but still not a book that I would read again. The movie trailer on TV made it seem like a different book, I had to check that it was the same book. I have a feeling it almost will seem like two different stories.

I could see it being used in a Lit class as a required book for discussion.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
When I first heard they were making this film I thought it would be too depressing to watch.

But when I saw the trailer it became clear that the filmmakers have made a different story, emphasizing the mystery. Maybe with this focus it won't be so depressing.

I enjoyed the book in spite of the darkness, but don't know if I'll see the film.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Warning - spoiler ahead!

I thought the girl finally taking matters into her own hands and bringing about the death of her murderer cheapened the story.

And was it a mystery? I thought the only mystery was why the police were so inept. (Except, their incompetence was needed to advance the plot).

A more thoughtful treatment of life-after-death is: "What Dreams May Come" by Richard Matheson. That book too, has its flaws.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Karma for you all! My daughter was so happy when I told her she could see the movie. The book is too advanced for her (I thought it was too advanced for me, in some of the more depressing passages). I agree, a lit class shoulc compare and contrast.

I definately won't be seeing it. I was shocked when I saw they were making it into a movie, but obviously they took it in a whole different direction.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is a wonderful novel that looks at the meaning of family, grief, and religiosity, among other things.

I taught this to First Year students at the University where I was teaching, and the students uniformly felt the emotional impact of the novel, in addition to the intellectual concerns the novel looks at.

Highly recommended.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Karma for you all! My daughter was so happy when I told her she could see the movie. The book is too advanced for her (I thought it was too advanced for me, in some of the more depressing passages). I agree, a lit class shoulc compare and contrast.

I definately won't be seeing it. I was shocked when I saw they were making it into a movie, but obviously they took it in a whole different direction.
You'll have to report back after your daughter sees it, and let us know what she thinks!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
But when I saw the trailer it became clear that the filmmakers have made a different story, emphasizing the mystery. Maybe with this focus it won't be so depressing.
You really can't trust the trailer. They can put whatever spin they want to on the movie for marketing purposes.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I didn't think it was a murder mystery. I just remember it as depressing. As far as I know, she's only written one other book, "Lucky," her memoir published before The Lovely Bones.
She has another novel, written after The Lovely Bones, called The Almost Moon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Almost_Moon

I have not read it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I could see it being used in a Lit class as a required book for discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is a wonderful novel that looks at the meaning of family, grief, and religiosity, among other things.

I taught this to First Year students at the University where I was teaching, and the students uniformly felt the emotional impact of the novel, in addition to the intellectual concerns the novel looks at.

Highly recommended.

Don
Yep. I was right. It would be something chosen for a Lit class.

I would probably actively participate in classroom discussion about the book, but it still would not be a book that I would recommend or read again (or even would have bought unless it was required).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I liked this book and I'd definitely recommend to others. I didn't feel it was depressing, and it was easy to finish. It was interesting because it was about life after her death. Stories like this are usually told as crime fiction, but this was a completely different viewpoint.

Added: I'm honestly not quite sure why this story would be depressing.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't find it depressing either (for depressing, I turn to The Road or If This Is A Man). To be honest, I didn't find it all that interesting either, having no empathy with the life-after-death notion.

Saying this, however, I did not actively dislike the book, and if someone said to me the book sounded interesting - that the concept intrigued them - then I'd probably tell them I think they'd find it worth their effort.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
One of the questions I posed to my students before we started reading and before I provided them any background information was this:

"What is your view of Heaven?"

Of course, ANY view is respected. The question was provided to get them to think about how/what they feel BEFORE they encounter something that conceivably might be different from their own views.

One of the issues the novel interrogates is the grieving process and the many ways in which we cope with our feelings. In this context, too, the novel is rich and courageous in its views. It's a deeply felt personal journey that we all must face, in whatever context, as we move through life. Yes, it can be deprressing, if one wishes to view it that way.

For me, reading this novel was a positive experience that I cherish. Additionally, in my opinion, the novel is good art - what we call Literature.

I can highly recommend this novel OUTSIDE of academia.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-19-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Perhaps its portrayal of grief is better as a teaching moment than one of empathy, but, of course, I say this only on the basis of my own singular experience. I had not long lost my father to disease, in a final time both harrowing and somewhat heartening. I was still grieving, into the context of possible disorder. And yet, my empathy to the book's characters merely extended as far as acknowledgement of that grief. Perhaps that is the issue - that its portrayal is better as hindsight rather from within that which it portrays?
As mentioned, it is a book I'd recommend to those interested in the notion (of "heaven"). However, that notion's significant role in the book withdrew much empathy from me.
Whatever one may consider "literature" to be, it is for me and my definitions worthy of such "literary" experience. I can see why it is and will be loved by many people. I am just not one of those people.
Cheers,
Marc