Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you already preorder the nook?
Yes 63 27.88%
No 45 19.91%
I am going to 10 4.42%
I may be going to 37 16.37%
I am not going to 71 31.42%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, you are right. I wasn't thinking about the fact that they would also support Adobe ADE which they will. so I was wrong about that. I was thinking about the fact that they won't sell ePUB formatted eBooks and switch to that format until next year. Sorry for the confusion.

Dale
All is forgiven!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #62
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I have never owned an e-reader, nor have I ever downloaded a book, but pre-ordered the nook the week it was announced. I'd been pining for a Kindle for a full year and was literally one day away from caving in and ordering the Kindle 2, when DH told me about the B&N announcement. As soon as I read the specs I felt the nook was what I needed.

I'd had some concerns about the Kindle 2, particularly the non-replaceable battery and technical hassles involved with downloading books from other sources, plus I know two Kindle 2 owners who received faulty devices that died within a few months of use (not due to any mishandling on their parts). Granted the nook is an unproven entity, but I decided I'd take my chances.

Mine should be in the first bunch shipped. I've got a cover on pre-order as well. Now I'm just wondering whether to buy the rather overpriced screen shields. I'll be caving in and ordering the night light eventually, but want to be sure I'm happy with the gizmo before buying any more things for it.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #63
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Im still going to use my kindle until I hear some reviews.
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #64
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I almost did,after a quick stop to my local B&N.I wasn't particularly impressed with the saleserson they had behind the nook display,I had more rudimentary knowledge about the device than he-and I haven't really been super dilligent yet.

I will probably wait until I can see a functional unit in a store (I saw display models) or someone I know has bought one,before I decide.I am still on the fence-especially concerned with the borrowing aspect and some other issues.Also want to see how easy is it to use,and if there will be in store help (I'm considering getting one as a gift,for someone I know who is always at a B&N store for one reason or another-and that would be a huge help,as it would cut down on how often I'd end up on the phone with her).

I can't wait to read reviews from people who are comparing this to their current preferred reader.I think I will wait to decide between getting a nook or a kindle 2.....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #65
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I pre-ordered one based on their support for Ereader DRM - all my purchased books are in this format and I was looking for an E-Ink device that would read them. In addition, their Adobe ADE support means that I will be able to read library books also (as I do on my EZ-Reader).
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #66
MacDude4
MacDude4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, Sony700
I ordered the Nook even though I am perfectly happy with my Kindle. The reason is quite simple I will check both sites before ordering and e-book and buy it from where it is cheapest, and then if I post a review of the book one of the things I will mention is the price difference. Hopefully if enough people do this we can get the price of e-books down to where they belong.

Also as to the Nook hardware I really like the way you can search through the color covers of the books. Right now I have 366 books on my Kindle and it's a royal pain to find them in series order.

I just hope to mythical Apple Tablet (if it ever comes out) will support Nook, Kindle and Sony formats !
MacDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #67
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDude4 View Post
I ordered the Nook even though I am perfectly happy with my Kindle. The reason is quite simple I will check both sites before ordering and e-book and buy it from where it is cheapest, and then if I post a review of the book one of the things I will mention is the price difference. Hopefully if enough people do this we can get the price of e-books down to where they belong.

Also as to the Nook hardware I really like the way you can search through the color covers of the books. Right now I have 366 books on my Kindle and it's a royal pain to find them in series order.
Remember that BN will be charging tax on your ebook. So, if the book is even $1 cheaper than Amazon, here that would be 80 cents on a $10 book. Not much savings there.

Also, using calibre allows you to sort your books by author and series. I have one series of 39 which all are on the Kindle in the proper order.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #68
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
wow! what series is that?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #69
LaManchaDQ
LaManchaDQ began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copynik View Post
I have never owned an e-reader, nor have I ever downloaded a book, but pre-ordered the nook the week it was announced. I'd been pining for a Kindle for a full year and was literally one day away from caving in and ordering the Kindle 2, when DH told me about the B&N announcement. As soon as I read the specs I felt the nook was what I needed.

I'd had some concerns about the Kindle 2, particularly the non-replaceable battery and technical hassles involved with downloading books from other sources, plus I know two Kindle 2 owners who received faulty devices that died within a few months of use (not due to any mishandling on their parts). Granted the nook is an unproven entity, but I decided I'd take my chances.

Mine should be in the first bunch shipped. I've got a cover on pre-order as well. Now I'm just wondering whether to buy the rather overpriced screen shields. I'll be caving in and ordering the night light eventually, but want to be sure I'm happy with the gizmo before buying any more things for it.
As for the screen shields, go over to Zagg and tell them you want an Invisible Shield for the Nook. I've already done that. I've use Invisible shield for my phones, GPSr, PDA and laptop. These devices look like they did the first day got them.
LaManchaDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #70
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
We still don't know enough about the Nook, so I'm hesitant to pre-order it. I did pre-order the Kindle DX back in June, since it was clear that it is basically a big Kindle 2 with PDF support.

If it surpasses the Kindle in usefulness, I may purchase it.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #71
d2photo
d2photo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/software readers
I "did" pre-order the nook and have since cancelled.

My concerns were not so much the pricing issue everyone seems to have but a lack of selection.

If you are buying a best selling author/book, then sure they have it. Again prices vary and not the decision that killed it for me.

It came down to SELECTION. While pondering my purchase pre-order i was browsing my wish-list at amazon and started checking for ebooks at B&N.

Out of 15 books B&N had 0 - thats a big old donut. Granted these are lesser know authors and non best sellers. The funny part is EVERY ONE of those in my wish list had a kindle version.

Another argument I've heard from some folks is "they are just entering the market". This is not true. B&N have been selling ebooks for different readers for years. So the argument is false, they have had years to get a decent selection built up.

Some argue there are formats (epub and such) that can't be read on the kindle. There are converters out there to turn out a pdf for you. Yes this does involve some effort from you but none the less it's doable.
d2photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #72
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I wonder: will those of us who weren't among the first group to pre-order still receive the free eBook, or was that only for the very first to order? (My Nook is due to ship on Dec. 11th.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #73
d2photo

I do know that B&N is supposed to have a different model out next spring as well. As with most things gadget rev 1 always has something to change.

Amazon will have a great challenger to this I'm sure. Will have to wait and see. Also waiting for what apple will throw into the hat.

Way I see it. Although sure to be more expensive. If the "tablet" does what the iPhone does but larger. B&N and Amazon have readers for the iPhone. figure that with a full blow edition of Acrobat and you've now got yourself the best of everything. Able to purchase/download from any source you wish as well as have your tech manuals text books..
Old 11-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #74
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2photo View Post
Way I see it. Although sure to be more expensive. If the "tablet" does what the iPhone does but larger. B&N and Amazon have readers for the iPhone. figure that with a full blow edition of Acrobat and you've now got yourself the best of everything. Able to purchase/download from any source you wish as well as have your tech manuals text books..
You can buy tablets today even ones that run macOS. I am not sure about the best of everything comment. What about battery life, weight, irritating backlights, too large to be comfortably portable? Not everyone wants a tablet device, particular based on their price.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #75
d2photo

True, weight and battery life are major concerns. I like the idea of the e-readers and let's face it, although a more or less one trick pony they fill a very niche market. BUT serve that purpose well. This is why I'm so on the fence.

I have a house full of books (just really started reading again after layoff) and have started to run out of places to put them. Here is where these fine little devices come in.

As far as the backlight. yes that would be a drain on battery, although having to carry around a light for dim reading is a pain as well.. not disturbing your partner in bed and others

To large for normal usage: I have had this argument before with my fellow techs. Their argument "hey you always have your laptop/iphone with you"

I argue, there are to many times when the iphone (for long reading) is to small and laptop impractical. The "tablet/KindleDX" type of device would and do also serve a specific niche. Newspapers/magazines, text books, ebooks (lets's say my current haul microsoft cert books) where a large screen is very nice.

After all, NOTHING is the perfect solution for everyones needs.

as far as "You can buy tablets today even ones that run macOS." I personally do not know of any other than the iPhone. we are not talking about hackintosh machines.