Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
How do you answer a question like that?
Very easily.
There are many what should or what should not bes....however, when faced with a certain situation, I like to look at it as it is, not as it should or should not be in theory. That's life.

All that said, I do hope that yvanleterrible is right and French support is being developed and will come soon.

Last edited by astra; 04-17-2008 at 07:01 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
I don't expect Sony to base their decisions on anything else than making money. What I'm complaining about is the fact that Canadian law allows this kind of thing. If importers are forced to have bilingual labels on their goods, why shouldn't they be forced to market a bilingual user interface? It's not a question of disrespect on the part of Sony, but rather of disrespect on the part of the Parliament of Canada for French speaking citizens.
But not even the French care about French Canadians.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #48
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post

My ideal is an independent Quebec in a strong and united Canada.
You might get lynched saying things like that in the ROC (lynch mobs just get mad when they don't understand ambiguous statements)
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #49
hekkel
Enthusiast
hekkel is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Cybook Opus
Just some loosly related remarks: My recently purchased PRS-505 came with a dual language information sheet: English and French. And the 2.1 version of the ebook software downloaded from the Borders site already had the option to select the country: US or Canada.
hekkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #50
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I believe the reason is that Sony Reader supports books in English only.
Nope, the Quebec law requires that an operation manual be available in french, not the device/menu itself.
I will check tonight, but I do believe that the one I bought from B&H a few months back was already bilingual.

Last edited by sebastien; 04-17-2008 at 09:09 AM.
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #51
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, the 505 had bilingual box and manual since the beginning.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #52
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
My PRS-505 which arrived today also had English/French instructions. I believe the outer packaging was also in English/French too.

In fact, the Reader is on my desk now, and the information on the back states:

"This class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
Cet appareil numerique de la classe B est conforme a la norme NMB-003 du Canada"
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #53
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron-UK View Post
My PRS-505 which arrived today also had English/French instructions. I believe the outer packaging was also in English/French too.
Canada"
So the device is ready to be sold in Québec.

I bet Sony is holding on the sale of the device in the province in order to cut down on the inevitable costumer inquiery: "Quand est-ce que vous allez avoir des livres en francais sur vot'e site" (bad french intentional).

A few months back I polled a few local publisher about their entering the digital era and all said that they were not planing to release ebooks in the future. (Please no thread about copyright and piracy!!!).

I know that my mother and sister, both avid readers, wouldn't buy a PRS until they could get their 'auteur Québecois' on it (legaly).

Next step is to get 'Québec Loisir' on the bandwagon and get french ebook for their Québec readers. An association with Sony could be profitable for both... But what do I know.
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #54
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A best seller in Québec nets around $3500 to the author. You think they'd let their books go to possible piracy? No sirree. Stick with paper. After all it's cut here ain't it?

Oh brother when are they gonna change...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #55
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
I don't expect Sony to base their decisions on anything else than making money. What I'm complaining about is the fact that Canadian law allows this kind of thing. If importers are forced to have bilingual labels on their goods, why shouldn't they be forced to market a bilingual user interface? It's not a question of disrespect on the part of Sony, but rather of disrespect on the part of the Parliament of Canada for French speaking citizens.
I ordered a Reader from New York last month, (I live in Nova Scotia) and was surprised to see that all the stickers said it conformed wiht all Canadian regulations, and all the documentation was in both French and English. So maybe a French release is planned as well.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #56
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I ordered a Reader from New York last month, (I live in Nova Scotia) and was surprised to see that all the stickers said it conformed wiht all Canadian regulations, and all the documentation was in both French and English. So maybe a French release is planned as well.
Have you tried registering at the Sony store? You shouldn't be "nervous about finding books in Canada" now.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #57
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Have you tried registering at the Sony store? You shouldn't be "nervous about finding books in Canada" now.
You're right, I'll need to figure out how to change profile. You can't even imagine how excited was when I logged on and saw this thread. Last weekend I actually booked a flight and hotel to go to New York in mid-May, and a major reason was to go to Borders and get a Sony gift card . (wouldn't dream of cancelling the trip though ...
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #58
Paradoxikon
Paradoxikon doesn't litterParadoxikon doesn't litterParadoxikon doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505S, EbookMan (10 years), COMPAQ C-140 (1 Year)
Sony PRS505 in Quebec

Salut à vous tous de la belle province.

Sony will not have the Reader in the retail store in Québec.

Why ? the only few reason I can think is :

Their ads campaign are not ready.
Not to forget, the campaign has to be different to reach us.
Which french book to sell
How to connect to buy books
Where to buy those book

and most important, Céline did not put our foot down. :-)

May be Sony does not know were to find free french books to download. We would need to provided them with a list sites.

Ah yes, this problem.
I remember a few years ago, a little argument between a Quebec site having many text book (copyright expired) and a few publishing house in France that were not happy. Something of the effect that the law in France has a longer expiration than in Québec. or something like this.

Does Sony wanted to be caught in this kind of argument.
Are their lawyer loooking at the whole issues ?

Just a few thought.
---------
I need to find a new reader. I miss my EbookMan.
Paradoxikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxikon View Post
Their ads campaign are not ready.
Not to forget, the campaign has to be different to reach us.
I wouldn't make too much of that -- they didn't have any English ads to speak of in the U.S. until about three months after the PRS500 launched, and they still aren't exactly flooding the advertising spaces.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #60
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
I have the 500 does this mean as a Canadian I will be able to purchase books from Connect now?
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, prs-505, sony reader