Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Uhm, it has already been mentioned in this thread that Calibre doesn't add any kind of TOC to the file content, only to the file metadata. So, your bitching about the TOC being at the end should be aimed at the books' original creators, not at Calibre.
That isn't the case. I created a test HTML file, with an "inline" TOC in the usual place, between the title page and chapter one, loaded it into Calibre, then converted it to MOBI format. The resulting MOBI file has the original TOC that I created, in the same place it was in before, plus a second TOC at the end of the book, which I can page to if I page through to the end of the book. It is most definitely part of the file content, and not metadata. Yes, Calibre creates a "metadata" TOC as well (NCX file), but that's a separate thing.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The toc at the end is technically a part of the file content, but that is only because of the limitations of the MOBI format, which has no way to define a true metadata TOC (expect for periodicals). So think of the inline TOC as a metadata TOC.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman2210 View Post
Why don’t you use Sigil to build a epub based book which you can then convert to Mobi. If you are starting from a different format, you could use calibre to generate the initial epub file which you could then edit in Sigil. I did this last week. I started with an old lit file I had, converted it to epub in caliber and then reformatted it in Sigil to clean up the conversion issues. In my case I left it as an epub file, but you could then convert it to mobi.
I don't think this works as expected ( as per my new thread about force table of content problem.)

I have a good epub book which I've cleaned up with sigil.

in epub, the TOC works fine, but when I then do epub to mobi in calibre, there is no working toc in the mobi file. I have messed with the force TOC option ( hence my other thread) but to no avail.

could be it's specific to one book but I'm failing to spot how it's different to other books, which do end up with working TOC in mobi conversions.

if I explode epub source & examine the toc.ncx file with notepad++ it seems to have all the correct content. I can see all the chapter points defined in there. so what could be preventing converting correctly to a .mobi TOC ?
[code]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN"
"http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">

<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">
<head>
<meta name="dtb:uid" content="ca43e607-a8ac-4299-9148-f741871cfb2b"/>
<meta name="dtb:depth" content="2"/>
<meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0"/>
<meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0"/>
</head>
<docTitle>