Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #61
Simon John Cox
Humble fabulist
Simon John Cox began at the beginning.

Device: None
A lot of people have already said a lot of the things that I've been thinking about this - primarily that it will probably help to drive ebooks into the mainstream in the same way that the iPod drove acceptance of digital music. In the same way that there were MP3 players before the iPod, we obviously already have ebook readers, but Apple's marketing muscle could be the thing to shove ebooks in front of people who would never otherwise think about them, let alone buy them.

In terms of the device itself, for me it seems enormous - too big to carry around and hold up infront of me to read - but in reality it probably isn't any bigger than a large paperback opened up. I don't have a reader, and although I'm all for ebooks I won't be buying one until prices come down...hopefully the advent of this iPad will start to drive this.
Simon John Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #62
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
This pundit
http://gizmodo.com/5458531/why-the-i...-ebook-readers
is saying a lot of you are wrong - that the iPad WILL have an effect.

Ignore the article's title - it is a bit inflammatory and somewhat off the mark. The article appears to be claiming that where Apple will succeed is selling the iPad to "new" customers which are not enticed by current offerings (essentially customers who are not on Mobile Read at all). So not really crushing existing devices so much as stealing future customers away from them, which they could have had, in large numbers.

I do not know whether to believe the author - I thought everyone had a desktop, laptop, netbook or smart phone by now. So not sure about who/where/what these new customers are which will buy an iPad.

I agree with those posting here that the iPad has a good chance to have more of an impact on the Periodical market going wireless, electronic and essentially being saved. Everything I read implies it is a grim affair to attempt to start a new magazine now.

Gourmet died this year
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourmet_%28magazine%29
It would be interesting if it were to resurface on the iPad.

*** Edit ***
I see Simon John Cox's post above mine and the article I referenced says much the same as what he states in his first paragraph.

Last edited by BWhite; 01-28-2010 at 05:05 AM.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #63
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I'd prefer an iPad nano - same functionality but the size of my Sony PRS 500

it'll come.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #64
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Maybe in the US. iBooks is only available in US of A ... Fail for me.
It will not spell the end of e-ink screens (IMO) so long as it's backlit and it has battery life <10 hrs.

1. iBooks is initially US-only it says and selected countries on the apple page and video!
2. No built-in camera neither does the kindle DX
3. No USB ports neither does the kindle(i assume you mean host ports)
4. No memory card read fair point but does have much larger memory than any other ereader
5. Keyboard dock sold separately no keyboard dock available for other ereaders
6. No multi-tasking neither do other ereaders
7. No Adobe Flash support neither do other ereaders
8. Can only run Apple-sanctioned apps true
9. Can only access iTunes videos and music not sure what you mean I can pout any music or video I have that isnt DRM into itunes and other ereaders hane no access to video
10. Lacks HDMI port so do other ereaders
11. Screen is 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9 widescreen better for reading what aspect is kindle DX?

12. No full GPS support neither do ereaders
if you compare the iPad to larger ereaders( in red above) for me it smashes them to pieces for price and what you get! however I read on an LCD screen at work for 10 hours a day with no eye issues!

so for some the sacrifices to get a similiar sized eink screen might be worth while.

Interestingly if you compare it to a netbook or laptop of a similiar price it doesnt come across as well.

But in comparison to a Kindle DX or archos media player type device it seems very competitive to me.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #65
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
if you compare the iPad to larger ereaders( in red above) for me it smashes them to pieces for price and what you get! however I read on an LCD screen at work for 10 hours a day with no eye issues!

so for some the sacrifices to get a similiar sized eink screen might be worth while.

Interestingly if you compare it to a netbook or laptop of a similiar price it doesnt come across as well.

But in comparison to a Kindle DX or archos media player type device it seems very competitive to me.
Man, you really, really like this thing, don't you?

I'd say in comparison to a lemon meringue pie the iPad is extremely competitive.

Last edited by Moejoe; 01-28-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #66
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Man, you really, really like this thing, don't you?

I'd say in compairison to a lemon meringue pie the iPad is extermely competitive.
I do because its perfect for what I want,

Web, Comics, Movies, music, VNC, email, sharing photos.

I was close to ordering a Kindle DX but whats the point, LCD screens dont bother my eyes and the iPad is $20 more.

The keyboard dock will be nice at home and is competitively priced, look at the nexus 1 desk dock $49 just for a dock with no keyboard.

It wont replace my home computer of my work laptop, but will replace my dell mini 9 and fit in better with my other Mac products(bluetooth keyboard for one)

I think people are comparing it to laptops which it cant and doesnt comete with or with the samller eink readers which it doesnt compete with.

However for the general consumption of a wide range of media on the go, with a nice UI and the app market to expand what it is capable of at $499 it seems a great buy...For ME!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #67
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
With the best will in the world to Apple and those who need or want the iPad, my dream when I first started with ebooks twelve years ago was a simple, single-function, ebook-dedicated reading device no bigger than a paperback.

My dream came true. I already have a powerful PC with a huge monitor, a 17" laptop and a netbook. And -- for recreational reading -- I have my wee, easy-on-the-eye Sony PRS 505 with a whole library in there.

For me (sorry, Harry -- but surely a forum is about personal views -- the iPad is actually a step backwards for ebook reading, taking the onus off ebooks and offering a dozen distrations ... at a price.

Give the world something like the 505 -- even the Kindle -- bubble-wrapped at the supermarket checkout for sixty bucks, price ebooks fairly, and there will be an explosion in reading.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #68
Simon John Cox
Humble fabulist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
I see Simon John Cox's post above mine and the article I referenced says much the same as what he states in his first paragraph.
That's because I am the zeitgeist.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #69
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
With the best will in the world to Apple and those who need or want the iPad, my dream when I first started with ebooks twelve years ago was a simple, single-function, ebook-dedicated reading device no bigger than a paperback.

My dream came true. I already have a powerful PC with a huge monitor, a 17" laptop and a netbook. And -- for recreational reading -- I have my wee, easy-on-the-eye Sony PRS 505 with a whole library in there.

For me (sorry, Harry -- but surely a forum is about personal views -- the iPad is actually a step backwards for ebook reading, taking the onus off ebooks and offering a dozen distrations ... at a price.

Give the world something like the 505 -- even the Kindle -- bubble-wrapped at the supermarket checkout for sixty bucks, price ebooks fairly, and there will be an explosion in reading.

Cheers. Neil
whilst I agree in theory and love my sony 300 for NOVEL reading it sucks at technical ereading, comic ereadingMagazine reading and web ereading.

Ereading isnt just novels.

so for ereading the iPad is better and more flexible.

for reading my next novel i will be using my PRS300
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #70
Simon John Cox
Humble fabulist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I think people are comparing it to laptops which it cant and doesnt comete with or with the samller eink readers which it doesnt compete with.
Initially* it looks to me as though it will be a "watch TV on the train" kind of device, bridging the gap between the laptop, which is great for watching things on but is more or less static (I know technically they're portable, but they're just too big to have on your lap on a train or a plane) and the mobile phone, which is truly portable but really too small to watch things on for an extended period. As such it won't compete with laptops or phones, but it will be in the same market segment as reader devices, as it will perform the same function (i.e. truly portable entertainment).

Whether it will compete directly with e-ink readers, however, will depend upon whether the kind of people who buy e-ink readers are only interested in ebooks, or whether they'd like to watch TV, video, browse the internet etc. whilst they're out and about as well. The multi-application nature of it could kill off its single application competitors.

*No doubt new uses and applications will evolve over time and take it in directions that no-one could have predicted
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #71
Simon John Cox
Humble fabulist

Quote:
This is interesting. The iPhone has exploded onto the mobile phone market precisely because it offers a million different uses - not just telephone and SMS (which itself was an unexpected additional function that has ballooned far beyond anyone's predictions). It's an electronic Swiss Army Knife, and that's why people want it.

I think today that convenience is so highly prized that having one device that can do multiple things is what sells. Even to the point where people are willing to accept inferior functionalities (in comparison to a single-purpose dedicated device, say) - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Quote:
I don't disagree with this in principle, but I think it also needs the kind of marketing that Apple splurged on its iPod and iPhone to truly kickstart the revolution...and I'm not convinced that a Sony or an Amazon would have the brand cachet to get people interested enough.

Apple's branding is great - they have positioned themselves as "cool" and "alternative" and "innovative", and as such their new products are bought by people who consider themselves to be "cool" and "alternative" and "innovative" (and whose friends probably see them this way), and these people act as word-of-mouth advertisers for the products, adding to the image.

Amazon or Sony selling ebook readers: "oh". Apple selling ebook readers: exciting.

Besides, if Apple dominates the market then at least one of its competitors will adopt a price-leading position...meaning that your dream of a $60 reader will come true.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #72
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon John Cox View Post
This is interesting. The iPhone has exploded onto the mobile phone market precisely because it offers a million different uses - not just telephone and SMS (which itself was an unexpected additional function that has ballooned far beyond anyone's predictions). It's an electronic Swiss Army Knife, and that's why people want it.
What is interesting to me is that, at least according to an analisys made in Italy on a national newspaper (can't find a link to the online version but will post it as soon as I find it) half of the iPhone owners have also another mobile phone, and most of them admit that the main phone number is NOT on their iPhone, but on the other device, and also that they have also another MP3 player, be it an iPod or another device.

Which is unique among smartphones: usually, those who buy smartphones use them to replace their regular mobile AND have dozens of other functions (think blackberry, windows mobile, android...).
If whay I wrote is not limited to Italy (it may well be), it means that people do not buy the iPhone to use it for its two main purposes (it's i-PHONE: it makes calls, and it's the son of the iPod, so it's also a great mp3 player), but for... what? for everything else. It's a pretty toy.

It does a little of everything, and not as good as a dedicated device, BUT is pocket-sized and for the normal people that's enough. Oddly enough, the "normal people" end up buying also dedicated devices (at least for phone calls and mp3).

What I expect from the iPad is that:
people who need powerful computers (like me - I'm a programmer) will stick with PCs and Notebooks: I found the idea of a Netbook a great idea, for example, but I never bought one and will never buy one because it lacks the power and capability to run either Eclipse or Visual Studio, and I need them for work, and the iPad is the same;
People who REALLY need a multi-capable device, though, will not buy it and instead buy a Laptop or MacBook. I mean, I know the iPad has a pretty and shiny photogallery application but... ehrm... how do I put my camera's pictures in that? It doesn't have neither a USB port nor a card reader! On the other hand, people who really need multi-capable transportable device are already sticking to laptops (including MacBooks), because those are still the only devices which can do everything, and have everything embedded (I'm speaking of webcams, CD readers, Card readers, wifi et al).
People who need a device that does only a few things while sitting on their armchair, will probably buy it. I see it as a good device to kill some time: it will play nice games (not graphics-intensive ones but nice games nonetheless), it will play music, it will play movies, it will let you read books, it will browse the web and it will show you your holiday's pictures. Essentially, what people buy netbooks for, without the extra-parts of netbooks.
People who just want an ebook-reader probably won't buy it, otherwise they would have bought already a non-dedicated device.
And then there are fanboys who will buy anything from their favourite brand But every brand has at least a few fanboys (even Microsoft, you know) so I do not analize them.

In the end, I believe that the iPad will cause netbook sales to drop; it won't cause ebook readers sales to drop, but it will make ebook sales grow. It won't "steal" customers from Amazon and Sony, instead it will create its own new customers base. The same way the iPhone did NOT steal customers to Blackberry, but made its own new, larger customer base.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #73
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
The linear resolution is a problem, but at least at usable sizes, proper screen treatment for type can be used.

It will still not compare well to paper, but it will most certainly be better than anything on even 200ppi EPD.
Since legibility is the basic requirement for type which must supersede all other issues, I find this statement bizarre in the extreme. A 200dpi device is automatically better than a 132dpi one for displaying type.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #74
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Question Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
I fear we're going to end up with a walled e-book garden locked behind some new, draconian, Apple DRM scheme
Why do you think so? Apple dropped DRM from iTunes - why should they introduce DRM into iBooks?

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #75
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
The fact of the matter is that it will be good enough as an e-reader for most people.
Agreed, the iFap will probably turn out to be a good enough reading device for 95% of the population. Since that 95% don't read or buy books, one has to question just how much impact it will actually have on e-book publishing (periodicals, 'nother story. Also potentially reference/scholarly work, depending on the app support).
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, kindle