Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
mryan3
mryan3 began at the beginning.

Device: iRed Iliad
Permanent screen glitch after 2.12 update

I've already submitted a ticket with iRex, but I was hoping someone here might have a solution. Today, when I initiated the update to software version 2.12 on the Iliad, the device froze. I waited a while hoping that it would resolve itself, but after an hour with no change, I reset the device. When the device booted back up, the software update initiated again and went off without a hitch; however, during the transition from download screen to install screen, the upper right corner of the screen glitched out. I assumed this was temporary and related to the update, so I didn't sweat it. Everything downloaded and installed fine, but the screen glitch remained. Now, no matter what I do, however many times I refresh the screen, or reset the device, this artifact remains in the corner. I've even tried opening up one of the notes and scribbling/erasing over the affected area with the stylus to no avail. Like I said, I've already submitted a ticket, but is there something I can try in the interim? I've attached a couple pictures of the defect in question.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0218081627.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	10509   Click image for larger version

Name:	0218081628.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	10510  
mryan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
mryan3

Unhappy

Just a quick update. In the five minutes since I posted this, my screen has now developed a permanent, horizontal white line across the top. What is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0218081701.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	10511  
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Sorry, but this looks like a screen damage.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
mryan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Sorry, but this looks like a screen damage.
Could you be a little more specific? I agree that it looks like screen damage, but what kind of damage is this? Have you seen this before? I was sitting there with the device by my side, untouched, as it was updating when the screen glitched suddenly in this manner. It literally happened no more than a few hours ago. There is no physical damage to the device.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It looks like physical damage to the underlying glass layer. Normally this happens only due to pinpoint pressure on the screen. Like drop something on the screen or carry a phone between your palm and your screen. It is like ly, that this damage will grow a bit more, due to the crack in the glass lengthening. This is usually not something that is covered by warranty. A screen replacement costs 275 Euros as far as i know.

But to be sure, you ill have to send it in and have a technician examine what happened.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
mryan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
It looks like physical damage to the underlying glass layer. Normally this happens only due to pinpoint pressure on the screen. Like drop something on the screen or carry a phone between your palm and your screen. It is like ly, that this damage will grow a bit more, due to the crack in the glass lengthening. This is usually not something that is covered by warranty. A screen replacement costs 275 Euros as far as i know.

But to be sure, you ill have to send it in and have a technician examine what happened.
I will most certainly send it in for examination and, even though it is incorrect, I thank you for your opinion. If there is physical damage to this device, then it was caused by woefully substandard manufacturing or a really bored poltergeist. When not in use (which is most of the time - but that's another story), my Iliad is it in its leather case, lying flat on a high shelf with nothing on top of it. Furthermore, I don't bring it with me anywhere and I certainly don't make a habit out of beating the screen with a telephone. The screen was flawless up to the precise moment that the device began to install firmware 2.12 and the glitch appeared suddenly while the device was not even being touched, sitting on the coffee table. I sincerely hope that the iRex technicians do not have the same opinion that you do, because I wouldn't pay 275 Euros to fix this device if my life depended on it.

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
mryan3

Smile

Update for those interested: iRex engineers examined my iLiad and determined that it was indeed a manufacturing defect and in warranty. Overall, the return and repair process was quick and painless and the customer service reps were very friendly and knowledgeable. The only thing that surprised me was how candid one of the reps I spoke to was about apparent manufacturing and other troubles the company is having and the frequency of these types of defects. He said that they get these kinds of repair calls all the time. Apparently they are working on refining the design to fix this defect in their next version of the iLiad. He also went on to talk about how difficult it is to do business as an upstart company in a new industry and apologized profusely multiple times. Strangely, he didn't seem very optimistic about iRex's future, but, to be fair, there was a language barrier and his English was extremely blunt. That was odd enough, but the kicker came after I confirmed my address as being in the United States; the rep asked me if I had seen the Amazon Kindle (I own one) and what I thought of it. Seemed bizarre, but I just rolled with it and told him I like it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
That is actually pretty typical for a bench technician with no customer support training or skills. He sits in a position where he only sees the problem units and has no one telling him what is really going on.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Same problem

My iLiad has the same problem for some months now. I do not always see it.
Sometimes my iLiad looks perfect. It is at about the same place on the screen.

(Could the problem be related to the button on the left?)

Henk
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote