Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Amazon buys Ivona

I haven´t seen it here (excuse me if it has been posted already) so here's the news: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/24/amazon-ivona/

Amazon has apparently bought Ivona which is a company which specialices in text to speech. They have pretty good voices and they're used in some ereaders among other devices.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
I haven´t seen it here (excuse me if it has been posted already) so here's the news: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/24/amazon-ivona/

Amazon has apparently bought Ivona which is a company which specialices in text to speech. They have pretty good voices and they're used in some ereaders among other devices.

Wow. Ivona has some of the best text to speech software / apps in the industry. I imagine this will shape future Amazon tablet releases.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Hopefully, they won't limit Ivona TTS only to Kindle Fires and it will remain on the Google Play store for the users of other Android devices as well.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
Hopefully, they won't limit Ivona TTS only to Kindle Fires and it will remain on the Google Play store for the users of other Android devices as well.
I hope not. I currently use it on my tablet as it's miles ahead of Google's text to speech engine. Even if they don't remove it from Play Store, there might not be any additional voices made available.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does Ivona product have emotional tone of human voice or does it still sound like a robot or a lame imitation of human voice?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Does Ivona product have emotional tone of human voice or does it still sound like a robot or a lame imitation of human voice?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, go to their website and sample 8 different American English voices. In all, they have 42 voices in various languages; male and female.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Wow, if they brought TTS back to eink kindles, or maybe to the kindle phone, that would be awesome.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
+1

I'd be lost without it on my tablet. My K3 is still doing great, but that won't last forever.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
It never ended well for the users when one of the big guys bought a good multi-platform product.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
I a noob when talking about TTS and I seriously wondering what is the use of such a thing!

I'm not saying it's useless, but I can't figure how I would use this in my everyday life. For you, TTS users, are you using it to hear the story like bed time story for adult? I'm confuse!

Please, teach me!
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
I a noob when talking about TTS and I seriously wondering what is the use of such a thing!

I'm not saying it's useless, but I can't figure how I would use this in my everyday life. For you, TTS users, are you using it to hear the story like bed time story for adult? I'm confuse!

Please, teach me!
I'm not a TTS user (I don't do audiobooks either; I can't really focus when I listen), but from what I've gathered, people use TTS for different reasons, largely for the same reasons why some people like audiobooks.

Not every book has an audiobook version (and audiobooks are often expensive), so TTS is handy for those others, for people who prefer to listen to books, either for reasons to do with eyesight problems or during chores, car trips, on treadmill in gym, etc. I've also seen people say that sometimes e.g. autistic kids even prefer TTS to audiobooks.

In any case, the major reason is, I'd think, that (a) not every book has an audiobook version (and don't forget personal documents, fanfic, various free public domain books etc), and (b) even if an official / professionally narrated audiobook exists, not everyone wants to pay twice to have the same book in text and audio. And not everyone minds the computerised voice.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'm really big into audiobooks and I see no use for TTS in my life.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that this is not just for reading ebooks, but is essential for 'accessibility' of the device as well. It can probably help with learning a new language also (though you might wind up with some strange inflections!). Probably most people use it for GPS navigation, though Fire isn't able to do that.

I like to have TTS capability with the reading apps I use. And it is fun to have a variety of voices to choose from. ePub3/CSS has some markup for controlling aspects of speech synthesis 'such as pronunciation, prosody and voice characteristics'. Maybe Amazon can borrow some of that. For example, this would let the narrator's voice to be different than words spoken by various characters.

http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-...w.html#sec-tts
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I like to have TTS capability with the reading apps I use. And it is fun to have a variety of voices to choose from. ePub3/CSS has some markup for controlling aspects of speech synthesis 'such as pronunciation, prosody and voice characteristics'. Maybe Amazon can borrow some of that. For example, this would let the narrator's voice to be different than words spoken by various characters.

http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-...w.html#sec-tts
That's pretty cool that they even thought of adding this to the standard!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, ivona, tts