Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
need help organizing ebooks.

Hi, I have many diff ebooks and pdfs

any suggestion on a program to help me organize them.

my readers are kindle 2 and pocket reader pro (five inch)

i need a program to handle all kind of files prc, lit etc and organize

any thoughts?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Calibre
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

i tired that.

when adding books (my library is a mess) it makes folders in a new calibre folder organized by author. its all a mess.

I guess I have to go in and clean up and organize my self eh? no way around that i guess.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know, Calibre's about the only thing I know of software wise. Personally I don't use a program, I just keep a folder for each author on my hard drive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Suspenders and belt are a lot of leather.

Once you put it into Calibre, you don't really need to keep the original source files. Calibre will copy your file, and keep any formats that you convert it to, in a well-organized directory system.

If you put in good metadata, and tag properly, for each book you would then manage everything from Calibre, instead of trying to manage the directory system yourself. In fact, once you give a book to Calibre, it helps to think of Calibre's system as a "black box" that you don't go in and mess with.

Calibre gives you a lot of tools for managing your books, but you should commit to it, and let it do its thing.

You don't have to delete the source files -- you can do whatever you want. Once you have worked with it long enough, though, I expect that you'll see that they are really redundant (especially if you don't want to manually sort them.)

m a r

ps: it can be overwhelming, if you have thousands of books. I'm working through similar issues myself.
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't like Calibre... I want a folder structure for my book library. Windows Explorer is the best tool so far...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
oncdoc
Addict

appreciate ur responses. considering that books take nominal hd space, copying and organizing by callibre own method is acceptable to me.

i will try program later today.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
I've noticed considerable confusion about how Calibre works. Much of this comes from an important Calibre feature that a lot of people fail to realize exists.

As others have said above, you should ignore how Calibre represents your books internally. Treat it like a black box.

If you want to also have your files available in a directory structure outside Calibre, the way to do it is (1) first enter your books into Calibre, and then (2) use Calibre's "Save to Disk" command to save them to your own file hierarchy.

Now here's the trick that a lot of people miss: in the Preferences|Add/Save|Saving Books dialogue, you can specify exactly how books are saved. For example, I put mine in a folder structure of Subject area (e.g., history, science fiction)->Author name (last name, first name)->book title. Calibre gathers this information from the meta-data and automatically puts the book in the right place. This is much easier than trying to fight Calibre by manually maintaining your own folder structure on the side.

I personally keep all my books in Calibre, and use the Save to Disk feature to transfer them to my Opus in a folder structure useful for that device.

While nothing's perfect, over all, Calibre is an immensely well designed system with a lot of rich customizability allowing you to tailor it to your needs.

Last edited by Grauheim; 10-11-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I'm going to be using a Kindle 2 for my reader....I'm expecting to receive it tomorrow so haven't actually used it yet, but my understanding is that it has no folder structure available.

Do I understand correctly that Calibre will help me keep mobi, pdf, and other format books organized on my hard drive, but that it is not able to go on the Kindle and put any kind of structure or organization there?
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Calibre and Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
I'm going to be using a Kindle 2 for my reader....I'm expecting to receive it tomorrow so haven't actually used it yet, but my understanding is that it has no folder structure available.

Do I understand correctly that Calibre will help me keep mobi, pdf, and other format books organized on my hard drive, but that it is not able to go on the Kindle and put any kind of structure or organization there?
You are correct. Calibre will mate with your Kindle and allow you to easily transfer books from your Calibre library to your kindle. Calibre offers added features for keeping track of your ebooks, with synopis, cover pictures, user generated tags and rating system and easily converts from all undrm'd formats to .mobi for your Kindle.

If you have specific issues or problems, post and someone will help you. Kovid is always very prompt in handling any technical questions.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Just trying All My Books, seems interesting... Not free, of course !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Nothing is going to be 100% automatic. You're going to have to enter some info on your own. Many PDFs do not have good metadata, plus different people name their files in different ways. I prefer naming like "Author - Title.extension" but, many I get are not like that. End result, expect to do some work, no matter what you do.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauheim View Post
As others have said above, you should ignore how Calibre represents your books internally. Treat it like a black box.
That's an immediate blocker for me. Any program which hides file organisation and potentially causes major data loss because it's messing with normal file organisation has to justify itself on a far higher level - one reason I like Pegasus Mail is you can (and I sometimes have) pull emails out via windows search when you need to.

I'll stick with folders.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
That's an immediate blocker for me. Any program which hides file organisation and potentially causes major data loss because it's messing with normal file organisation has to justify itself on a far higher level - one reason I like Pegasus Mail is you can (and I sometimes have) pull emails out via windows search when you need to.

I'll stick with folders.
It doesn't hide file organization; it's just somewhat complex and non-intuitive, in order to allow the program to manage the data.

You can ignore Calibre's file-sorting and use the files how you'd like; you may just have to re-load them if you move them around from its pre-set structure. Since it's open source, if someone figures out how to make it work well with user-specified folder structures, that could be added to the program.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote