Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Akd44145
Akd44145 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
new to this whole thing

I am SURE you see this post or something like it all the time.

But I am a new owner of a kindle 2. And as I have been exploring it and looking around to see what's what...I have stumbled upon a question I hope you can answer - or at least point me in the right direction.

I have three libraries near me. Alll three have Mobipocket eBooks. One also offers Adobe eBooks. And one just recently started offering some EPUB files.

Can I get any of these to work on the Kindle 2?

On a side note...I would most like ot be able to do this from my Mac laptop but if I have to - I can use our desktop PC if that makes any difference.

Thank you for nay help, advice, and guidance you can offer!
Akd44145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Akd44145

P.S. Did I mention the Kindle was a gift? (hence my almost total lack of knowledge...)

:-)
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akd44145 View Post

But I am a new owner of a kindle 2. And as I have been exploring it and looking around to see what's what...I have stumbled upon a question I hope you can answer - or at least point me in the right direction.

I have three libraries near me. Alll three have Mobipocket eBooks. One also offers Adobe eBooks. And one just recently started offering some EPUB files.

On a side note...I would most like ot be able to do this from my Mac laptop but if I have to - I can use our desktop PC if that makes any difference.

Adobe on Kindle = No
Epub on Kindle = No
Mobipocket = Maybe. If your library uses the Overdrive servers for their Mobipocket books you can get them on the Kindle with a little work. If they use the Mobipocket servers, then those books will NOT work on the Kindle.

The Kindle is more for purchasers of books (more content on Amazon and lowest prices more often than not). There are also lots a free books being given away almost daily and books in the Public Domain that are available for free all over the place.

If you haven't had the chance, read through your User Guide (it's on the Kindle 2) then click through the links in my sig for tips and tricks on how to use your new Kindle to it's fullest.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to Mobileread!

Only the Mobipocket library books have any hope of working on your Kindle. Your library will need your Mobipocket PID. This is encoded in your Kindle's serial number, and there's a python script called kindlefix that will extract the Mobipocket PID from the serial number for you.

But it still might not work - but it's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akd44145 View Post

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Only the Mobipocket library books have any hope of working on your Kindle. Your library will need your Mobipocket PID. This is encoded in your Kindle's serial number, and there's a python script called kindlefix that will extract the Mobipocket PID from the serial number for you.
Almost all US lending libraries use OverDrive, so you can read the MOBI library books by a) using kindlepid to convert the Kindle's serial number to its PID, b) registering this PID with your library, and c) running kindlefix on the library MOBI ebook. Note that kindlefix does not strip DRM, the library ebook will still only work on your Kindle and no other device, so there are no copyright issues.

You will need to load Python to run kindlepid and kindlefix.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Welcome to Mobileread!

But it still might not work - but it's worth a try.
Slight correction. KindlePID pulls the Kindle PID from the Kindle Serial Number. KindleFIX, fixes the ebook so that it can be read on a specific Kindle. You need the PID before the ebook can be FIXed.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
If you read science fiction or fantasy the best 'library' you can use is the Baen free library. They publish many top authors and they offer many of their books for free to get you 'hooked' on their product. Try it here:

http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Akd44145

Thank you for your suggestions!