Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Kindle DX Graphite bricked, please help me! :(

Hello.

My Kindle DX Graphite got bricked by installing some firmware hacks.

This was weird, as it worked OK. I disabled the usbNetwork and then freezed, I needed to reboot and then the fails appeared.

The device tries to boot a few times and it fails, then shows the "Your Device Needs Repair" message.

I entered the recovery mode and tried to reinstall the firmware again, so solve the problem but I'm unable to make it happen (I pushed the "1" button, both alone or by using shift/alt keys).

http://www.brighthub.com/electronics...es/101814.aspx (I followed this document, no sucess at all)

I'm desesperate and need help, I'm not sure if Amazon is going to repair it for free with those updates and my wallet now isn't in good shape (contrary when I bought the DXG) to pay the repair or get another DXG.

Maybe using a serial cable to hack over uboot (as explained HERE it could be the start of a solution for this, but I don't have enough skills for this. I might ask some friends,his is my last hope...

I would be grateful if someone helps me to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

PS: I did read THIS forum post and it seems he had no succes. This really SCARES me

Last edited by timofonic; 10-08-2011 at 06:29 PM.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
go ahead and try calling Kindle (not amazon) support. you may be pleasantly surprised ;o). keep us posted!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
go ahead and try calling Kindle (not amazon) support. you may be pleasantly surprised ;o). keep us posted!
It's okay, but my spoken English level is still too basic (I'm not native as you can feel from my typos and how phrases are written in general). I'm afraid they would be unable to understand me.

Also, I suspect I would be over a month without my device and that can make my life quite difficult in different means...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The worst that can happen is that there's a bit of a language barrier. They'll still do what they can to assist you... You should give them a ring on the hello-machine to see about getting it fixed or something. Couldn't hurt, anyways.

Unless you stub your toe on the way to the phone, or something.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
@timofonic: you could use chat with a consultant to report a broken Kindle. It's not always necessary to call.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
timofonic
Zealot

Thanks for the replies, I'll ask them this week.

Anyway, it could be nice if someone with technical expertise could explain me the viability of a self repair.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Ask in kindle developer forum.

And your English is fine
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
timofonic
Zealot

Done.

I posted HERE. Now it's little more than a quote but I'll add more info when having more time and skilled people ask me more necessary information.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
timofonic
Zealot

They said me I need to pay it again, then it will get refunded later. Damn, I don't have enough money for it right now
Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
I bumped your message in the Developer's Forum. Don't give up yet! Maybe we can shake something loose!

And don't worry about your English. Your English is more than good enough to communicate.
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
timofonic
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMark View Post
I bumped your message in the Developer's Forum. Don't give up yet! Maybe we can shake something loose!

And don't worry about your English. Your English is more than good enough to communicate.
Thanks a lot, any help is greatly appreciated

I always try to improve my English, but it's not always easy. My Kindle helped me, I was reading a lot of books in English and the TTS served to improve my pronunciation too.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
timofonic
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. My Kindle helped me improve my English as well. Its great!!
Yep, and that makes me even sadder to have it broken right now.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You should ask for help in the Kindle Developers forum where the hacks are created. They are more likely to be of assistance with kindle debricking.

EDIT: I see that this conversation did move over to the developer's forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153061

Another member got his bricked kindle operating in that thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...57#post1824757

What is the current status of timofonic's DX?

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-28-2011 at 01:28 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote