Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #46
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
The Man Who Was Thursday. It was the third time, but I see new things in it every time. It's a fun story, and Chesterton's actual points are far more subtle than one thinks at first glance.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #47
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
_Among Others_ by Jo Walton.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #48
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen was phenomenal for me. I have been reading alot of Japanese literature lately, and that one really struck a chord with me.
Lizard was my first Yoshimoto book. I wouldn't say I loved her work, but it's definitely worth experiencing. Shorts seemed to have gone out of style back when I first read it, so I found that aspect alone refreshing. I also hadn't read anything that celebrated the mundane quite like she did.

I think both are more common these days. I'm actually starting to feel old thinking about just how much things have changed since then.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #49
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
A Wise Man's Fear I suppose. I read Lord of the Rings again afterward, but it was a reread so I won't count that. I read A Wise Man's Fear and The Crippled God in the same week... It was glorious.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #50
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Two nonfictions:

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick

At Home by Bill Bryson

Sorry, but I don't read all that much fiction, and nothing this year has honestly been 5 star quality.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #51
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It has been a real struggle lately to find 5-star fiction ebooks. But there are some. I would give all of Vicki Tyley's mystery ebooks 5 stars. I would give all of Shayne Parkinson's historical fiction ebooks 5+ stars.
Hi,

I tried this story but all the quotation marks are like ' instead of "

Do you know if there is an United States english version of her novel? I've heard so many good things but the single quote mark on all dialog is incredibly distracting.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #52
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not sure that's the problem... single quote marks are nothing to do with real English as opposed to US... Double quote marks for dialogue are not a US speciality, just normal English regardless... more likely to be a formatting/typo/setup/OCR repetitive error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Hi,

I tried this story but all the quotation marks are like ' instead of "

Do you know if there is an United States english version of her novel? I've heard so many good things but the single quote mark on all dialog is incredibly distracting.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Last Night on Twisted River - John Irving

Homer and Langley - E. L. Doctorow
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #54
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Not sure that's the problem... single quote marks are nothing to do with real English as opposed to US... Double quote marks for dialogue are not a US speciality, just normal English regardless... more likely to be a formatting/typo/setup/OCR repetitive error...
That's interesting. My husband's sister is an excellent writer. She was born and raised in the U.S., but she has lived in Australia for almost 30 years now. She recently sent us a draft of her autobiography. All of the dialogue was set off by single quotation marks, so I had assumed that was the way it was done in that part of the world.

Shayne Parkinson, who also uses single quote marks, is in New Zealand. Does anyone know if this is the way it's done in Australia and New Zealand?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #55
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Double quote marks for dialogue are not a US speciality, just normal English regardless... more likely to be a formatting/typo/setup/OCR repetitive error...

Formal British English uses single quotation marks for dialogue. Formal Australian English usually follows this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
All of the dialogue was set off by single quotation marks, so I had assumed that was the way it was done in that part of the world. ... Does anyone know if this is the way it's done in Australia and New Zealand?
Speaking for myself, I've always been taught to use single quotation marks with dialogue, and this is the recommended usage in some local academic style guides. It was certainly something I had to be careful to do at university in certain departments. In Australia however, outside academia, the government and maybe other arenas, it's a mix of British and American practices, or single and double quotation marks.

Also, thanks for the thread. I've been meaning to check out Shayne Parkinson's books for a while.

Last edited by viviena; 04-29-2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: added some detail
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #56
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Formal British English uses single quotation marks for dialogue. Formal Australian English usually follows this.

Speaking for myself, I've always been taught to use single quotation marks with dialogue, and this is the recommended usage in some local academic style guides. It was certainly something I had to be careful to do at university in certain departments. In Australia however, outside academia, the government and maybe other arenas, it's a mix of British and American practices, or single and double quotation marks.
Thanks for clarifying that, viviena. The single quotation marks did distract me when I first began reading my Australian sister-in-law's autobiography, but it quickly ceased to be an issue for me. She is such a talented writer that I got lost in the story, and I no longer noticed the single quotes. Still, I did wonder about that!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #57
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That's so funny. I'm an Australian and I assumed that I was always reading double-quoted dialog, but I just went through my books and I notice that I have a mixture of both.

The strange thing is I've never noticed the difference. My eyes can obviously detect quoted dialog without noticing the quotes themselves.

For myself, I've always tended to use double-quoted dialog if I'm writing/typing anything.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #58
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Also, thanks for the thread. I've been meaning to check out Shayne Parkinson's books for a while.
I'm certain you won't regret it if you're a fan of historic fiction. The Promises to Keep trilogy actually reads as one long book, taking place over a period of just over 20 years. I could not stop reading until I finished the third book.

I very nearly went right into reading the sequel to the trilogy, A Second Chance, but managed to control myself, partially because Settling the Account (book #3) ends at a good stopping point. I'm very much looking forward to reading it, though.

The epubs are well formatted, too, or at least I didn't notice any formatting issues, which means it's better than many. (I have a Kindle but I always get the epub from Smashwords and then convert - their mobis still suffer too many problems after coming through the meatgrinder.) And you certainly can't beat the price - the first free, $1.99 each for the others.

As for the single quotes for dialog, I didn't even notice after the first few pages.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #59
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
The Brief History of the Dead - Kevin Brockeier. Two intertwined story lines - one in a mid-apocalyptic 'real' world, and the other in in The City, where the dead live until the last living person to remember them dies. Great dynamic tension, and the writing is absolutely phenomenal.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #60
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
That is on my TBR Mountian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
after seeing this, i did some research to get more info and was surprised by the great reviews and story.

i'm going to have to get this and start it right away, thanks

You won't be disappointed. I enjoyed it from the very start.

Last edited by MrsJoseph; 04-29-2011 at 02:38 PM.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote