Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Seems they brought the same mindset to the NOOKcolor. Disappointing. With regard to metadata...it's as if they have no clue about library management and how people make use of metadata (tags, series, book summary, etc). Or they just don't care.
Agreed . As I wrote elsewhere, they ignored a decade of ebook reader technology (what feature sets to have, their implementation, etc.), set out to reinvent the wheel ... and promptly made it square - hailing it as a breakthrough . It's all been done before (mobipocket reader for example) - why do people have such a problem with learning from old tech?
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
... set out to reinvent the wheel ... and promptly made it square - hailing it as a breakthrough . ...(
Indeed!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It was a dealbreaker for me. That's why I stick with my Sony and Kindle for e-ink. I think Sony's collection management system is the best for organization. I am glad that the NOOKcolor can at least create shelves that combine sideloaded and B&N content. I have hundreds of EPUBs and would really like to load them all to my NOOKcolor, but I don't want to have to shelve them manually. Therefore my mindset with the NC is to sideload only a few books at at time for current reading whereas I keep the majority of my e-library on my Sony. And, I wish I would put my sideloaded content on the home screen too!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
Question about NookLibary and rooted color

I am confused. I rooted my classic nook mainly to utilize the lovely NookLibrary feature, which combined all my books into one list.

Now I have Nookcolor, and I can't find a way to access a system like NookLibrary (can someone please confirm for me that the original NookLibrary from Nookdevs is only for the classic - not for the color?)

Or is it there and I just haven't found it yet?

Thanks.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
I am confused. I rooted my classic nook mainly to utilize the lovely NookLibrary feature, which combined all my books into one list.

Now I have Nookcolor, and I can't find a way to access a system like NookLibrary (can someone please confirm for me that the original NookLibrary from Nookdevs is only for the classic - not for the color?)

Or is it there and I just haven't found it yet?

Thanks.
Nothing from the eink NOOK can be applied to the NOOKcolor. We're stuck with the stock library unless you want to use an ereader app.

Last edited by SCION; 01-30-2011 at 01:05 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #21
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
On the nook classic I used the nooklibrary from the nookdevs site to manage my books via tags from Calibre.

On the Nook Color I use the shelve feature and just select books from the picklist that comes up when I want to edit a shelf.

The shelf feature works on both the nook classic and color but the UI is better for it on the NookColor.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #22
Susie85
Susie85 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
HELP!!

I just bought a nook 1st edition since they lowered the price to $89. I also use Calibre but when I load my books they all go unshelved on the device and I really don't feel like having to add them all onto shelves on the device that's what I have Calibre for, so what am I doing wrong. Also why can I only see my B&N book library with the pictures of the book covers and not all my other books from my computer Those are the ones I really want to see with covers! So please help me if you can!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishEyes View Post
Lucyloo said
"

I've sideloaded about 100 books onto my nook classic in the month I've had it. No problem at all with sideloaded books disappearing. No problem with the 50 B & N books I've downloaded either. I use Calibre to organize my 4000 book library on my laptop and that's how I transfer books to my nook. It is very easy to drop and drag too but a color thumbnail of the book's cover shows on the nook if you use Calibre.

After sideloading, you can set the nook to automatically display books by the last name of author, the title, or date or display them on their shelves sorted one of the three ways.

chas0039 said:

I do searches for both titles and authors on my sideloaded books all the time. The "search" option is in the same place in both the "B & N " books and the "my documents" folder .

Last edited by Susie85; 10-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Susie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #23
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Honestly, if sideloading is your concern, root. Use CoolReader or Aldiko - They're better readers, and you won't have any problems with them. The default B&N interface and the reader are actually pretty bad, as opposed to those options available from the Android Market.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
...The default B&N interface and the reader are actually pretty bad...
How so?
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #25
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJn View Post
How so?
Limited settings, and an inability to set how often the page refreshes. (Leading to ghosting and lack of sharpness)

I just don't like having the clutter from B&N store on my homescreen. Rooted, my homescreen shows me a picture that I like, the time and date, and quick access to a couple games and readers.

BTW: My experience is with the STR

Last edited by dorino; 10-09-2011 at 06:41 PM.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote