Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
kindoru
kindoru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Preventing firmware upgrade

Hi folks,

Is there any way to prevent automatic 2.5 firmware upgrade over the air while still online ? I installed a Unicode hack on my 2.3.3 firmware and I hate to lose this capability as I understand the hack no longer works under 2.5. Thanks.
kindoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you have any hacks installed then the update should download, but fail to install. It'll just sit there as an uninstalled bin file unless you remove the hacks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
Having the Unicode font "hack" on your kindle will prevent the update from being installed. It may download (and in that case, you should try to backup the .bin) but will error out.

Keep your eyes out though, because the new UFH should come out very quickly on the tail of the 2.5 firmware. I bet a week or two after we get it...
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindoru View Post
Hi folks,

Is there any way to prevent automatic 2.5 firmware upgrade over the air while still online ? I installed a Unicode hack on my 2.3.3 firmware and I hate to lose this capability as I understand the hack no longer works under 2.5. Thanks.
I'm not 100% sure. But as far as I know, your hack will prevent Kindle from updating. It will refuse the "wrong" configuration.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindoru View Post
Hi folks,

If it downloads and fails to install: You should try to secure the file. Hundreds of users would be happy to get the file.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
If it downloads and fails to install: You should try to secure the file. Hundreds of users would be happy to get the file.
A few weeks ago the kindle tried to update via whispernet with the 2.3.4 file but I had the hacks on and it was downloaded, but the update didnt work. Had I known about Johhny's idea of retrieving it later I could have upgraded.

Dont worry, once the bin is around the the new hacks will be updated very quickly. Not by me though! I just carry out other's instructions on how to do it.

Now, someone get that damn bin file.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote