Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Just Bought a PRS-505 wanted a cybook:(

I'll be over here soon enough with a cybook, as soon as the next gen cybook comes out I'm on it like chocolate chip cookies

I couldn't face spending double the cost for a device that has similar issues(pdf support, odd firmware etc) when I know I'm adopting it before it hits mainstream, and when interfaces are still clunky and slow, I just have to go with having lots more buttons so I can get there faster.

I've pretty much only been reading the Cybook forum, and it is the reader I truly want, I think the design and concept is the best by far, but I gotta wait for the competition to stabilize a little bit.

Learning from my experience with Ipods:
I adopted the ipod/itunes setup early even though it was way more expensive then the competition, there were so many quick and huge changes to the design that it bit me pretty quickly and I upgraded 2x more in the next couple years, it seems to me like there is a huge sorting out in any new market, then after a few years the changes are relatively minor(ipod picture-> video->classic)
in comparison to the early changes.
The Ipod video beat the snot out of the other competitors at the time for simplicity and ease of use and integration much more so then the first gen making it worth the extra premium.

So I guess this is my first and last post in the Cybook forum for a while, even though I'll still be here drooling.

I really hope the cybook comes out on top like apple did, it is the best idea IMO, no stupid proprietary nonsense like minidisk or whatever format Sony has now.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I can understand you decision, even while I came up with a different one.

but then again, my own decision to get the Gen3 was after using the PRS500 for a few months, as such giving me a better idea as to what I wanted.

While the PDF support is better on the Sony's, while being a pain, it is not a dealbreaker for me on the Gen3. Most of the content I want to read is txt or html, so the gen3 saves me the hassle of having to convert the stuff, even thought it is not that difficult.

As for the firmware, while id does have issues, at least we know that bookeen is actively working on it, and that any and all new features will be supported on on all gen3's.

With sony I'm afraid that they may use the excuse of using new features to try to make me buy a new one, as opposed to just offering a firmware update.

Still, looking forward to you joining the Bookeen Brigade sometime in te not to distant future
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
I really hope the cybook comes out on top like apple did, it is the best idea IMO, no stupid proprietary nonsense like minidisk or whatever format Sony has now.
The CyBook uses MobiPocket, which is every bit as "Proprietory" as Sony's BBeB format . "Proprietory" simply means that somebody owns it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote