Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Spoiled Kindle experience: too much sloppy content

Stephen Curry @ The Guardian writes:

Quote:
I have been repeatedly disappointed at the low quality of the texts that I have bought from Amazon's Kindle store. The frequency of typographical errors, sloppy layout and poor image quality, even on my relatively small sample of around twenty titles, has made me wonder if the 'e' in ebook stands for easy money. This seems strange given the care publishers normally take over printed versions — I have only very rarely come across typos or pagination errors — but the evidence from my online purchases is mounting.
My experience has been similar, unfortunately. Who do you think is responsible? If it is the publishers, as the article suggests, then why do they care less about typographical and formatting errors than they did before?

[image by liz west via Flickr]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-08-2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: moved to frontpage
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Stephen Curry @ The Guardian writes:

My experience has been similar, unfortunately. Who do you think is responsible? If it is the publishers, as the article suggests, then why do they care less about typographical and formatting errors than they did before?
One reason: Because they don't *want* ebooks to succeed. They don't want ebook readers to think of ebooks as being just as good as paper books, especially hardcovers. They want readers to associate ebooks with lower quality, sloppy writing, and annoying errors. They believe that readers will decide to buy hardcovers instead of ebooks--instead of deciding that there's no notable difference in quality between mainstream publisher ebooks and indie/self-pub $1.99 ebooks.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I've purchased hundreds of Kindle ebooks, and I haven't come across a lot of issues. Yes, there is the occasional typo, and I would agree that it happens more than in paper versions.

I've only had one ebook that was formatted so poorly I had to return it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I had this experience several times.

Especially the Springer (the publisher with the horse icon on it) and the Duden Verlag are horrible examples. It seems they just converted the paperback book. The delimiters were on the wrong place (don't need them for e-books anyway) and the picture weren't usable for small Kindle e-book readers. The prices were almost the same to the paper books.

They still haven't made any difference.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
One reason: Because they don't *want* ebooks to succeed. They don't want ebook readers to think of ebooks as being just as good as paper books, especially hardcovers. They want readers to associate ebooks with lower quality, sloppy writing, and annoying errors. They believe that readers will decide to buy hardcovers instead of ebooks--instead of deciding that there's no notable difference in quality between mainstream publisher ebooks and indie/self-pub $1.99 ebooks.
^ This.

All they are doing is pushing people to flock to cheaper books, where even if it is poorly formatted, since it didn't cost 7-8 dollars to be poorly formatted it is worth the price.

And if they enjoyed the book, there are millions more out there to buy and at these prices you can buy a lot more books for that 7-8 dollars.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Agreed. I have purchased about 200 books from Amazon and so far only 1 has been bad. Lots of errors, formatting was awful, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I've only had one ebook that was formatted so poorly I had to return it.
And how many dead-tree versions have you had to return? Probably none...that is the point.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I've actually returned eight or ten paper books, I think, over the years. This due to missing pages, blank or partly blank pages, double-printed pages and such. Very few spelling and typographical problems though and three or so faulty books per decade really isn't that bad.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
There are some books with a lot of typographical errors. I just deal with them. Am I this kind not to return them? hahahaha
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've bought a lot of books (in excess of 400) and I rarely come across problems. Its usually in the cheaper books that I find typos. I've never had a book that was so bad it distracted me from reading.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
On the whole, the quality of the hundreds of ebooks I've purchased have been on par with the quality of the physical books I used to buy. I guess I'm just lucky that way.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I've never had a problem with paper books, but then again I probably haven't bought as many as the rest of you. I've bought many ebooks with spelling and punctuation errors. I just fix them myself.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
They believe that readers will decide to buy hardcovers instead of ebooks--instead of deciding that there's no notable difference in quality between mainstream publisher ebooks and indie/self-pub $1.99 ebooks.
There is a difference, though. I buy quite a few indie and self-published e-books, and the lack of professional editing is noticeable and notable. I don't know if it should be generalized , and the lower prices do make up for it to a degree, but if I buy a book (in whatever format) from an established publishing house, I'm likely to get a properly content-edited book that meets certain literacy standards.

The downside is that it's usually same-y, dependent on what editors and agents believe currently sells. With self-published books you may or may not get something of equal quality. It's far more uncertain, in my experience. The advantage is, and that is why I enjoy self-published works, that indie books are frequently fresh and more daring.

I don't disagree with your point and I would add DRM issues to the list of reasons why publishers might prefer paper books. I'm not saying self-published stuff is always worse, but with "publisher-published" books you get professionally edited books more often.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
For the two bad books I've come across, one was indie, the other was an older but still in copyright trad-pub.

The publishers are the ones responsible for the errors. Amazon's policy is that they legally cannot change anything that the rightsholder did, so if you report errors to amazon, they will report those errors to the rightsholder. They have made it quite easy to report the occasional issue -- you can just select it and choose "report error", directly from the kindle.

I do wish the publishers were more careful, but recently I haven't seen errors very often.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I can't understand why companies like Amazon and B&N allow poorly executed self-published e-books to be sold on their sites. Many titles are public domain works offered for free. I don't see how anyone makes any money off those, and if they are giving the company a reputation for selling poor quality products that's bad news for the vendor. The whole thing seems like it's completely out of control.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote